8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Blackhawk Film...Missing Soundtrack?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blackhawk Film...Missing Soundtrack?
Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2015 01:52 AM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently purchased a 400' B & W / Sound reel produced by Blackhawk Films called "Conquest of the Air". Upon running the reel there was no sound,but a sound stripe is visible on the film.I ran another sound reel on my machine and the sound was fine. Anyone else ever dealt with this issue before?

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2015 06:40 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have a railroad film from Blackhawk...GREEN MOUNTAIN RR ON RUTLAND...that has a stripe but no soundtrack. I just assume it was erased by the previous owner. I have another railroad film...THUNDER OF STEAM IN THE BLUE RIDGE...during the inner-titles had music but now is only train sounds throughout the film as someone tried to erase the music during the inner-titles and it actually cut into the train sounds and left some remnants of the music.

Bill [Smile]

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2015 08:09 AM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill,
Thank you for the reply.I figure in time I'll try and add some music to the reel.The footage is in great shape,so it's a shame about the missing audio.

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2015 12:56 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you can find someone who has the same film with the soundtrack and you can get a copy of it to re-dub yours....I did get a second print of THUNDER and my plan was to re-record the soundtrack from one to the other.

Bill [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 03, 2015 01:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to suggest that as well. Someone could make a copy on CD and then you could either sync it to you're film or add the actual soundtrack as your film already has the mag track.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 03, 2015 02:54 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a shame someone would go through that trouble of erasing audio from a perfectly fine print, but I suppose nothing is impossible - Shorty

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2015 04:14 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,Osi & Joe,
Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.
Douglas

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2015 04:17 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the music during the titles is a little silly but whoever erased it didn't do a very good job and the print would have been better left alone. I am going to re-record it. I have not done any re-recording films before so these small projects will help me learn how.

Bill [Smile]

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 04, 2015 06:45 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, the music over and through the titles is a comfortable companion to what we are about to watch - Sort of a teaser, so to speak - Leave well enough alone - Blackhawk took great care and did well by it's consumers - Shorty

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2015 04:44 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might consider adding music to mine but most likely will leave it be.The print is so nice and clean,and ran like a champ.It's a keeper for sure...Cheers,Douglas

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2015 05:49 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rest easy Shorty, I'm going to re-record the original soundtrack back onto the film....I just think the over the title music choice as a little over the top...they could have picked something a little more subtle...that's all.

At some some point the film will be lovingly restored to it's original glory....

Bill [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC