8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Value of Laurel and Hardy Films (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Value of Laurel and Hardy Films
Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2015 01:20 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well looking at the E-Bayers he has bought from, most have sold super 8 films at very low to mid prices,I think the 4 x 400 of 'Lust for a Vampire' went in a bundle about six weeks ago, it's now £175...

|  IP: Logged

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2015 08:36 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Similar pattern with the introduction of VHS, as many recall, collectors dumped their film in favor of the tape, much to their later regret - No matter how far technology takes us, there will always be the want for where it started; motion picture film - Shorty
I agree. There's something special about screening a film. I still have VHS and DVDs -- the same way I have vinyl, tapes, CDs, and mp3s for music. Similarly, there's something special and more involving about playing a vinyl record on a good turntable.

With the L&H films, sadly I think that the fans are passing away at a faster rate than new fans are being created, particularly those who want to collect on film.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2015 01:31 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laurel & Hardy have also had the misfortune of having been owned by rights-holders (Halmark & RHI) who have had little interest in their welfare for decades. To my knowledge in the US their Hal Roach shorts and features were never made readily available in comprehensive VHS or laserdisc editions, and it took ten years for them to come to DVD. Add to that decades where they were seldom presented on TV.

To make matters worse, broad availability of their worst public-domain features in the form of nearly unwatchable quality tapes and disks gave an unfairly bad impression to new generations, who weren't fortunate enough to see the Roach titles after school and on Blackhawk films.

It's my understanding that there is a looong term restoration project of their Roach shorts and features being carried out at UCLA. I only hope I live long enough to see the results.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 28, 2015 02:12 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian my BFI sound tracked Collectors Club print must be worth a few bob now then. [Eek!]

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder perhaps but dear Laurel & Hardy hold such a special place in movie history everyone should at least have a few film prints of the great duo especially with so many making it onto celluloid.

My own favourite muted many times on here has to be Perfect Day 200ft from Walton purchased in the 1970s although years later I got the full length issue one of my favourites in the L&H pile. Don't know about the rest of you but desirable film titles do seem to be more than a little seasonal on fleabay.

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2015 05:01 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Off subject; 'The Plank' so red, it's red 400ft £44.95, just look at those screen shots...
The Plank

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2015 05:48 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very confusing, he mentions VHS/DVD box may have holes and after saying "not much Tommy Cooper on Super 8" he puts 16mm 400ft.
Mind you he is also selling 16mm so may be (mis)using a template.

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2015 06:01 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laurel and Hardy 'Tall Stories' silent with sound-track 200ft £35...
Laurel and Hardy

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 28, 2015 06:40 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UCLA is undergoing a long-term restoration, it will take time and effort, but so far the results are incredible - I feel everyone should have at minimum, a representative sample of L&H, Chaplin and other genre - Shorty

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2015 10:31 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
UCLA is undergoing a long-term restoration, it will take time and effort, but so far the results are incredible - I feel everyone should have at minimum, a representative sample of L&H, Chaplin and other genre - Shorty
Though Blackhawk, home 8mm and 16mm film truly was Laurel & Hardy's showing so far. I think every library in the US with an AV department had prints available.

I tried to see where things were with the UCLA restorations, and it's hard to figure out how far along they are. It seems like WAY OUT WEST and about 7 shorts are now completed for sure.

Unfortunately UCLA has a lot films they've restored, but like The Library Of Congress, they don't always have the ways and means to distribute the fruits of their labors. I'm hoping these films don't take so long that the possibility of a Blu-ray set isn't out of the question. I don't live near any major city like LA or NY that might screen them.

On an unrelated, I'm told that the 1910 Thomas Edison FRANKENSTEIN is currently at The Library Of Congress undergoing restoration, and they do have plans to make it available.

[ June 29, 2015, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: Timothy Ramzyk ]

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2015 05:20 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
L&H films have been available in one form or another since the demise of Blackhawk. Talkies on Nostalgia Merchant tapes, silents on Nostalgia Archive tapes and laserdisc. AMC cable showed pristine prints of all but a handful of the Roach talkies. TCM has issued a few DVDs, as well as had festivals on their cable channel.
The biggest gap has been missing original main title cards on some of the films. For the most part, the films have been shown in crystal clear form for the last 30 years or so since the debut of the "Laurel and Hardy Show", when they were first fully restored. (Albeit with some unnecessary edits for time.)

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2015 01:17 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I caught them on AMC and the spotty DVD sets taken from those masters. I'd say they looked OK 20 years ago, but the recent Vivendi set used more recent HD masters which to my eye are much more film-like.

I still think studio owned and distributed comedy like The Marx Brothers and Three Stooges have remained more omnipresent than Laurel & Hardy on TV and video.

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2015 12:19 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the L&H show debuted around 1985/86, it was eye-opening. Same with what was shown on AMC starting several years later. This was before High Definition, but they looked great on the TVs of the time. It was apparent that they were mastered from superior prints/negatives, compared to the Nostalgia Merchant tapes.

I never saw the DVDs but I heard that they used something other than the AMC "RHI" masters. The DVDs had fades for commercials left in!

TCM once showed WAY OUT WEST, the colorized version, but with the color turned off!

Haven't seen the Vivendi set.

The rights to the Brothers and the Stooges films have been more stable compared to L&H -- hence the more definitive releases over the years. I bought the Paramount films Marx set on DVD thinking "now I'm set", but then BluRay technology was invented -- thought I'm not sure the Brothers have been issued in that format yet.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 29, 2015 12:38 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film - It is the only form that shows the way it was, imperfections or not - Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 29, 2015 01:04 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are so right, Shorty.

I know that I have mentioned this before, but when I watch one of my DVD's of the Lads, lets say, "Big Business", it's a pretty good print they used and all, but I feel kind of at a distance to the material ...

but ohhhhh, when I run my super 8 print of the same title, film grain, occasional scratch and all, I really do feel like I'm back in that movie theater with the crowds, laughing right along with them.

Does anybody else get that feeling when screening they're prints?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2015 01:20 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a must have DVD collection.

Laural and Hardy: The Essential Collection

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2015 03:37 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Film - It is the only form that shows the way it was, imperfections or not - Shorty
quote:
I know that I have mentioned this before, but when I watch one of my DVD's of the Lads, lets say, "Big Business", it's a pretty good print they used and all, but I feel kind of at a distance to the material ...

but ohhhhh, when I run my super 8 print of the same title, film grain, occasional scratch and all, I really do feel like I'm back in that movie theater with the crowds, laughing right along with them.

Does anybody else get that feeling when screening they're prints?

I couldn't agree more -- yes -- that's why we're all here on this forum.

I am, however, happy when there are home-video releases so non-celluloid collectors can be introduced to the boys.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 29, 2015 05:03 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No matter what, I still want the Super 8mm "scored" silent shorts of The Boys, they are just nice to watch, that's it

Timothy Brown
Junior

- posted June 29, 2015 07:39 PM      Profile for Timothy Brown   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its' kind of interesting how all formats for delivering a movie more or less follow the same trajectory. The beginning where they have a lot of room to grow, the peak in terms of proliferation, then the decline. Oddly enough most reach there greatest degree of technical excellence in decline. My Super 8 prints from Derann toward the end of Super 8 production were quite possibly the most technically excellent in my collection, and the color filmstocks the most stable.

Likewise, as we see the decline on physical movie media on disks, we see a level of technical excellence that is leaps beyond the first DVDs, especially in the form of a well mastered HD Blu-ray when projected.

I'd say all DVDs of Laurel & Hardy's films for Hal Roach, prior to the Vivendi DVD set reflect the limits of early video mastering and compression. The source is good, but the end result mixed by today's standards. The RHI masters are now twenty plus year-old analog techlines, and they look decidedly "video-ish" by comparison, with general soft flatness lacking texture or range.

I certainly fell in love with L & H through my Super 8 prints, and those of my library. Most of my Blackhawk prints were quite nice, though missing their original titles.

There is no doubt in mind however that we live in an age where the art of film restoration is at an all time high, and that these restorations are revealing detail unseen since these films were first created. I don't quibble over things like the reel change marks, lines or speckles. It's the integrity of photography I'm most concerned about. That's why the prospect of what these UCLA restortions will reveal excites me so much.

--------------------
Pulp Novelties

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2015 09:47 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UCLA Laurel and Hardy Preservation Fund

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Timothy Brown
Junior

- posted June 30, 2015 12:45 AM      Profile for Timothy Brown   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the page I saw as well, what I can't tell is how recent it is.

--------------------
Pulp Novelties

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2015 07:03 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Chumps at Oxford' starting price £44.99, why start so high, for what in my experience of Walton Laurel & Hardy's could be a poor to middling print, yet again no screen shots, just stock still...
Chumps at Oxford

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2015 12:26 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The recent UCLA restorations are: The Music Box, The Midnight Patrol, and De Bote en Bote.

The details are incorrect. The Midnight Patrol was released in 1933, and De Bote en Bote:Pardon Us, in 1931.

The translation for De Bote en Bote is: From the Can, In the Can.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2015 04:15 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another high price Jaws 2 x 400ft £146.00...
Jaws 2 x 400ft
Sorry just noticed this posted on another thread...

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2015 05:11 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as long as there are idiots out there who have more money than sense thinking they are getting so called rare items. you will always get these chancers putting items on a stupid prices.but who can blame them, when there are indeed people ready to pay silly money for an item just because its real film. my god what a world we live in.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 01, 2015 07:10 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Metropolis 9-5 tinted print is the best on the gauge which sells for about £65 ish usually, runs for about 28 minutes.
It is also on Blu-Ray if discs are your bag at about 150 minutes and £12 looking rather splendid. Wait a bit and it will be on Ultra Blu-Ray before long.

The Collectors Club 8mm release is also worth having if you want a longer run than the 9-5 print. [Cool]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC