8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Beaulieu Stereo Mag Head Wiring Verification (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Beaulieu Stereo Mag Head Wiring Verification
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 24, 2017 12:08 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I will find out visually thanks Phil, come the time as I will remove the outer case to gain access to the head terminals to remove the head.

I was just curious to find out in advance the configuration but no one seems to know for certain.

It's just a shame I cannot find out what all the tags mean on the end of the head codes.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 25, 2017 04:22 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
All we seem to know so far is that RF is a recording / playback head while R coded heads are just designed to be used as playback heads as in their monitoring duties for the machines these are fitted to.

Still leaves RS and SA 464 heads unanswered for though sadly. [Confused]

--------------------

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2017 06:51 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew,
For my information, where did you report "SA" & "RS" ?

If this is on Beaulieu's, What are the models (means, HTI, Studio, etc....)

If they come from any of these models which were producted untill 90's, that could be some uprated Heads showing improved performances.
Also, tell me if these heads (RS, SA) are showing a plastic body (inside the metal cup).

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 25, 2017 06:58 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes they can have removable plastic inserts for use with other machines other than Beaulieu, Phil,.. and no I have not seen these types fitted to either of my Beaulieu machines, just my 3 Bauer T610's (but not always these two types of head).

I wouldn't know what type is fitted to the later HTI or Studio models Phil as I simply don't own one.. (yet [Big Grin] [Wink] )

Perhaps someone like Alan Rik who does own one or two of these models could take a peek at his heads and reference their codes for us all here?

--------------------

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2017 07:07 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does they look like this :

-

This is what I installed 25 years ago on my first Beaulieu.

And works pretty good.
There is "no name" written on the cup. It is supposed to be "BOGEN" style

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 25, 2017 07:23 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No Phil, they don't, they just look the same as any other 464 type head and have the Woelke logo printed on them with the ident coding 464 RS or 464 SA after the Manufacturer Ident.

They are all original heads.

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 25, 2017 07:38 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can take a look once my projector arrives back from Germany. Its in transit now.

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2017 07:42 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an other information Andrew, I had to replace the guide plate below during head replacement due to some extra wears on pins and somewhere else.
Once pins are worn, you can experience loss of sound quality .....

HEADS GUIDE PLATE

-

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 25, 2017 07:54 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Phil, that is something i hadn't previously considered given that this component is metal! [Wink]

I'd only considered the "Pressers" being worn, as a reason to change out any other component associated with poor sound reproduction from either track other than of course, the actual heads themselves.

Top tip Phil thanks and once again, the power of the "collective" surfaces within hours of stating as much. [Wink] [Smile]

Thin washers or shims fitted beneath this plate would sufficiently counteract against any wear to the pins and still should leave the film path "safe".

--------------------

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2017 08:04 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Andrew, this is metal but mainly brass (plate and pins)material, to stay amagnetic of course.
Unfortunately Chromium "flash" coating is a very ordinary quality. This is not Hard Chrome Plating quality.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 25, 2017 08:10 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say Phil, neither of my own look like the colour of that one there. I will grab a few photos of them later fitted in place.

--------------------

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2017 08:14 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "yellow" colour is due to missing light (no flash light).

This is actually "white" chrome

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 25, 2017 08:37 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, ok then Phil, they are probably identical then in their appearance thanks. [Wink]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 04, 2017 09:22 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Has your machine arrived back with you now from Germany Alan?

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 05, 2017 06:45 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
????

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted September 05, 2017 08:41 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hanging out in customs looks like. Because of the weight they must think it's an IED!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 05, 2017 12:00 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Alan and can't wait to hear you have it back, safe and sound and practically perfect in every way. [Wink]

Once you've had chance to make up for lost time I'd really appreciate it if you could reference your head codes for us all please.
It would be interesting to see if they differ in any way on the later models.

(No pulling apart necessary for any of this btw)

--------------------

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2017 08:49 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As regards differences between record and playback heads, I once read in a very much aknowledgeable audio magazine, record playback heads have narrower gaps than playback only heads.

In the case of S/8, though, it should be noted the PB head and the Rec head are actually the same to retain the standard 18 frame image-to-sound separation, the monitoring head only being used during recording for checking final quality in real time...

--------------------
Maurizio

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2017 10:32 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Andrew,

PM sent.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 06, 2017 06:45 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Phil & Maurizio, much appreciated. [Wink]

The playback only head was the monitoring head in this case Maurizio as it is never used to record anything, only to monitor sound after recording has already taken place so it's positional placement as I understand it is unimportant except to say these heads cannot be utilized as a record / playback head by swapping the two over.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC