8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » City of Sailors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: City of Sailors
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 27, 2015 02:00 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just won this off ebay and am so very curious about it.
First of all, I just had to get it as its a short 200ft look at life film on my home city of Plymouth, my curiosity is that I have never seen or heard of this super 8 item ever before and cant recall seeing it in any catalogue.
Has anyone else seen this one or own it? Be interesting to see the content. [Smile]

[ June 27, 2015, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 27, 2015 02:03 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a rare one that's for sure Tom. I've certainly never seen this title before you mentioned it.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2015 03:24 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,
This was in Derann's last catalogue. I have this as well. Not sure if DCR also released this as they released several LAL films.
Graham S

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 27, 2015 03:24 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me to and it looks like its one of Deranns boxes.
It may be purely coincidence but when I was at an Ealing convention Derek Simmonds had a chat with me and told me about his days when he was stationed here in Plymouth during his time in the services.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 27, 2015 03:42 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to now know of its origins. Thanks Graham. I have quite a few of Deranns catalogues but not their very last one so thanks again for that Graham. [Wink]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 27, 2015 04:22 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Graham, i must admit i wish i kept my catalogues now, ive got a couple and am looking for more. Every time i see one on ebay they seem to go for Scilly money so i have to pass them. By the sounds of it Derann must have had this as one of there late releases, i certainly cant see it in any of my booklets.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 27, 2015 04:32 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://derannlists.co.uk/derann/8h.php

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 27, 2015 04:43 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dominique, i missed this one.
A bit odd as the catalogue states Portsmouth but on the ebay image the box clearly says Plymouth. i shall what turns up. [Confused]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 27, 2015 04:55 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you won't be disappointed, Tom.

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 27, 2015 05:09 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has just got interesting, someone else is advertising the same film, if you look closely at the box,(hover over the image and use the zoom) the box has been tampered with and the word Ports has been hand written over the work mouth
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-8mm-TRAVEL-City-Of-Sailors-Sound-200ft-/151719688094?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item235332b79e

Now take a look at this ebay link which is the one i actually bid on,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOOK- AT-LIFE-CITY-OF-SAILORS-PLYMOUTH-Super-8-8mm-COLOUR-SOUND-Film-200ft-/301665775830?rd=1&ssPageName=STRK:MEAFB:IT
the listing states Plymouth and the box doesn't appear to have been tampered with but its not a clear a picture. I have sent a message asking the seller to check to avoid me returning it as "not as described". His feedback is very good so he may not realise the mistake. Unless Derann did two of these.
Glad you sent me the link Dominique,
The screenshots in the new ad are defiantly Portsmouth, looks as though im disappointed [Frown] i suspect the guy probably genuinely doesn't know.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 27, 2015 05:22 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
:-(

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 27, 2015 05:28 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a cock up on the original typing there Tom and in fact it may well be Portsmouth unfortunately.

The images from the film show the Charles Dickens museum which is in Portsmouth.

You can always pass it on to me Tom if its not what you want. It sounds an interesting little film to me Plymouth or Portsmouth if you live where I do. [Big Grin] [Wink]

Newquay again in two weeks all being well, fingers and everything else crossed on the domestic front! ...Cannot wait!! [Razz]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 27, 2015 05:47 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Newquay sounds good Andrew, i'm lucky down here as that's only a daytrip for me,an hours drive from Plymouth.
im hoping to have stopped the film being sent,hopefully itl be refunded, as it has been listed as Plymouth it would be "not as described". [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 27, 2015 05:53 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You're in a very nice part of the world there Tom being only one hour from the beautiful beaches of Cornwall.

We have Blackpool here ha ha!

Having said all of that, looking at the latest atrocities that have unveiled in Tunisia, even Blackpool looks appealing this year! [Frown]

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2015 06:57 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Tom. I didnt read your description properly. I was only going on City of Sailors LAL which is a Derann film.

Graham S

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 28, 2015 02:52 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, your right there, we want to go back to Morocco next year, it was a lovely week we had there earlier in the year,friendliest people you could wish to meet,and although Tunisia is absolutely miles away it does make that whole North Africa region a dangerous place to go.Of course if people stop holidaying in these places the looneys win,and even here in the UK we have some trouble makers.7/7 and poor Lee Rigby. Its these actions which need the death penalty back, there guilty and all caught on camera,there is no doubting. it is a shame for the good countries,only Friday in work we were looking at how you can get an all inclusive 5 star holiday in Tunisia for less that £300. When the hotels closed after the event all those staff members from cleaners to managers immediately stop being paid and lose there incomes. tourism is 15% of there entire income and that's got little chance of growing right now, if anything it will nose dive as this is was the second time this year.

Graham, thank you for the info, some good news this morning though, the seller has cancelled the sale and refunded in full, it was a genuine error,he can only go by the description on the box,clearly Derann had a batch of this release which were labelled wrong. I thought it was too good to be true. [Frown]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 28, 2015 03:49 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you got a full refund Tom and you are so correct on every point raised there.

Good to see some e bay sellers acting in an honourable manner.

E bay, terrorism, life in general ... it's always the actions of a lunatic minority that spoil things so much for the vast vast majority of decent honest civilized people.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 28, 2015 04:07 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair, his feedback rating is very high so for these sellers I'm always happy to bid from, you can usually be assured if there's a problem they usually sort it. [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 28, 2015 06:06 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Tom, it has to be said, there are many decent sellers on e bay I've found as well as one or two rogues. [Wink]

The worst ones to me are those that give huge omissions to their descriptions of films and projectors. They always seem to know what's ok with their items but somehow have not seen, or conveniently overlooked what's very much NOT ok with whatever they're selling!

The disappointment on arrival can be extremely disheartening to both the use of e bay and often film collecting in general.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 28, 2015 03:25 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Derann print of City of Sailors, and a superb print it is too. This is a Rank Look At Life short about the reconstruction of Plymouth after the war. It shows the destruction of the old row houses, being replaced by new high rise apartments, and the new shops and factories springing up in the area. A very nostalgic little film as it shows how life was in Plymouth back in 1956 when it was filmed.
Highly recommended.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2015 03:35 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha Ha. I think you need to edit that Paul. Its Portsmouth not Plymouth as some Derann boxes might state [Big Grin] .

Graham S

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 28, 2015 03:49 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hehe, sore subject Paul, but quite funny. [Big Grin]

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2015 03:59 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes definitely Portsmouth. I have relatives there and recognise the anchor on the front, the Guildhall tower in the title sequence and the sailors on Southsea Common. Pity I didn't get a copy as I remember the remaining rows of houses, pulled down for tower blocks and a new dual carriageway road.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 29, 2015 01:02 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, this one has now been re-listed on ebay as Portsmouth, you may be able to get this one. Here you go,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOOK-AT-LIFE-CITY-OF-SAILORS-PORTSMOUTH-Super-8-8mm-COLOUR-SOUND-Film-200ft-/301674011314?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item463d2c1ab2

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 29, 2015 01:39 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film has now a story ! If the new owner is a member of the forum, he could print this thread and put it in the box :-)

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC