8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Changing cxl/cxr bulb to LED using kit (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Changing cxl/cxr bulb to LED using kit
Myron Baron
Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2015 01:58 PM      Profile for Myron Baron   Author's Homepage   Email Myron Baron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are tired of replacing your CXL/CXR 50W 8V bulbs, burning film stuck in gate, take a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNA1vffiHrE I know you pay anywhere from $24.00 to $34.00 for replacement bulbs, and they only last for approx 25 hours, the more you turn them on and off, the less hours you get from them, because of filament fatigue, well threat no more, with this kit, you can turn the projector on and off as much as you like with out causing the LED to burn out, and also there is no heat, so the movie film can be projecting and the projector stopped and the film will not burn, even if the film gets caught in the gate, you do not have to worry about the film burning. Check out the video on the link above. Also it is on E-Bay listed under cxl/cxr LED. Right now we only have a kit for this bulb, as this is the most common one used in most 8mm projectors.  -

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2015 05:47 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the light output of the projector in lumens compared to the tungsten lamp?

Myron Baron
Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2015 09:41 PM      Profile for Myron Baron   Author's Homepage   Email Myron Baron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The output of this LED is 1400Lumens.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2015 09:51 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic idea if they're bright enough. LED tends to be a cool light, will it alter color?

Myron Baron
Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2015 11:48 AM      Profile for Myron Baron   Author's Homepage   Email Myron Baron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see no difference in color, I tried it with the bulb and then the LED, both looked the same to me. I will take a picture with the bulb vs the LED and put it on line, later. This reg bulb.  -
This is LED
 -

It is very hard to take a picture of a film with reg bulb, but no problem with the LED as I can stop the projector.

[ June 30, 2015, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Myron Baron ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 30, 2015 05:07 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Great innovation! These lamps are becoming rare now and come at a price when you can find any.

Good to see there is an alternative now for anyone using these in their vintage machines.

I remember using these in my second silent projector many many years back.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2015 05:12 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think the colour difference between Tungsten and a xenon or HMI lamp would be greater to an LED.

Myron Baron
Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2015 09:07 PM      Profile for Myron Baron   Author's Homepage   Email Myron Baron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry I don't know anything about tungsten, all I can tell you I see no difference between the bulb and the LED, the color's look the same to me. All I know is for 8 years, I have been transferring films to DVD, and the bulb I was using CXL/CXR 8V 50W, would burn out after about 20 hours, and some times the film would stop in the gate, for some reason or another, and the film would start to burn (blister), now the bulb will last 1,000 hours or more, and no more burning, and I see no difference in the colors, using the lLED or the CXL/CXR bulb. To me it is a win, win situation.

Timothy Brown
Junior

- posted July 01, 2015 11:06 AM      Profile for Timothy Brown   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting, I think if someone were to re-design projection equipment using the latest materials, you might see a very different machine under the hood. More digital audio playback, using amplification that wouldn't crap out or need fuses, standard one hour reel capacity, cool burning LED lamps. You might even see machines with built-in techline functions which had the ability to record a digital record of what you were projecting. It's too bad there isn't still machines being designed and produced.

--------------------
Pulp Novelties

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2015 12:42 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Myron, brilliant idea and design.

In terms of colour temperature, if you project a clear white image using the LED lamp, and then point a video camera at it which has manual colour temperature control, you should get a reading in degrees Kelvin from the camera.

Roughly, 3200K is tungsten and 5600K is average daylight.

The lower the K, the warmer the image.

Since our eyes can adapt to colour temperature, unlike cameras, it shouldn't really matter when watching a projected image, and indeed a higher colour temperature often results in better perceived images.

Likewise, when doing tele-cine, the camera should address colour temperature, so I think you are right; it's a win, win!

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2015 01:58 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I've been talking of on another thread, now if only a 15v 150w equivalent could be produced with same results, I would be first in the queue...

Myron Baron
Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2015 03:05 PM      Profile for Myron Baron   Author's Homepage   Email Myron Baron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
perhaps if you take a picture of your bulb, is it halogen or incandescent? Give me some information, I need the size and the lumens you are looking for, maybe I can come up with something.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 01, 2015 03:19 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Myron, I think that Steve is refering to the standard projectors bulbs http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A1-232-EFR-15v-150w-Super-8-Projector-Lamp-for-8mm-Cine-/200544894346

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2015 03:55 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Dominique, that's the one...

Myron Baron
Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2015 07:21 PM      Profile for Myron Baron   Author's Homepage   Email Myron Baron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
That bulb is cheap in comparison to the cxl/cxr bulb, this bulb was costing me $24.00 USD, I don't know what that equals in pounds. I could probably change that to an LED, but I do not know what the cost I will have to charge, also what projector do you use this bulb on, what is the manufacturer and model?
Myron

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 01, 2015 10:43 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Myron, several projectors use these bulbs. I personnally don't see any saving benefit of a led bulb for 15v 150 w replacement but a high interest if the led doesn't heat the projector (and the film) with exactly the same quantity and quality of light (or, even better, with more). The same, of course for the other current models : 12v 100 w and 24v 250 w.

--------------------
Dominique

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2015 12:26 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The heat factor is a plus, I had a Eumig that was a great machine except the bulb-socked deteriorated twice due to the prolonged heat of the lamp.

Do these LED bulbs provide equal brightness?

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2015 04:46 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's really nothing to do with how 'cheap' or 'expensive' a lamp is, it's more running cost, heat and light out-put for me...

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2015 06:44 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
does anybody know if these kits are ready. to use.
Thanks. (Right now we only have a kit for this bulb)
a bit ambiguous.

--------------------
James Wilson

Myron Baron
Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2015 07:37 AM      Profile for Myron Baron   Author's Homepage   Email Myron Baron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James:
The only kit that is ready right now is for the CXL/CXR 8V 50W bulb, go to the top of this posting. But if there is enough of a call for the other type bulbs above, I will start to make a kit for this bulb. (see Steves post). The kit I have now gives offf very little heat, I can stop the projetor with the film still in the gate and it will not burn, I have done this for twenty min. already, and then started the projector. Right now my kit is putting out 1400 lumens, its just as bright as the bulb or maybe a little brighter. There is no color loss, the LED is cool white. The reason the kit is $185.00 is because there is quite a lot of machining involved, it takes me three hours to get the piece ready for LED insertion, plus the wiring involved. Don't forget the cost of the electronic parts. All the recipient has to do is insert the LED and attach two wires. It is set to go. Go to http://www.dvds2envy.com go to the cxl/cxr replacement tab, check out the demo. Any further info needed do not hesitate to ask.
Myron

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2015 08:11 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am really looking for a led that can use the existing 15v out-put of the projector with a small mod if necessary and be a straight swap out. The day will come when this is possible I believe,and can be much brighter. I could not be doing with a separate power supply...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 02, 2015 08:38 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also be reluctant to modify the projector but would be more than intersted in a bulb that could give the same (or more) illumination without (or with few) heatness.

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2015 08:52 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you consider how LED stage lighting has come on in the last 5-8 years, the brightness with much less power consumption is phenomenal, so why can't this be achieved on a domestic scale. If super 8 projectors were still being produced in high quantities I am sure LED lighting would be a selling point and indeed the way forward...

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2015 08:55 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Myron,
Thanks for your quick response, that has made things a lot clearer.
James.

--------------------
James Wilson

Myron Baron
Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2015 11:51 AM      Profile for Myron Baron   Author's Homepage   Email Myron Baron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To all:
I wonder how many people would purchase the 15V 100W bulb in LED, I purchased one and I have a way to convert it to LED, but it encompasses using an external power supply and LED Driver, for which I can get up to 2100 Lumens output. It would install the same way you remove your old bulb, but you would have to connect two wires from outside and bring them into the bulb cage. I know every projector is different, you would have to figure that out for your selves, it is only common sense, you do not want the two wires near any moving parts, I have an old Elmo 8mm projector with no way to go under neath and bring up the wires, but I notice on the back there is ventilation groves, which I could bring the wires through and tape them to the motor housing, they say where there is a will there is a way, I find it very true. Please let me hear from interested parties, as I do not want to invest the time and money and then am stuck with something no one wants to purchase.
Thank you
Myron

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC