8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Help with getting a sound projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with getting a sound projector
Gabe Agoado
Junior

- posted June 30, 2015 03:43 PM      Profile for Gabe Agoado   Email Gabe Agoado   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the process of getting an 8mm sound projector, and would like to know if anyone's got some knowledge to dispense on this subject.
1) Is it worth it to get dual-8 with sound or are regular 8mm sound films too rare to make it worth it?
2) Can anyone attest to the quality of a particular brand or are they all (Chinon, Eumig, Sankyo, B&H, etc) generally good quality?
3) Things I should be careful of when buying.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

|  IP: Logged

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2015 03:59 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion regular 8mm with sound are pretty rare. Also, many machines advertised as "Dual" sound do not play Super 8mm and Regular (Standard) 8mm. They play Single 8mm and Super 8mm. It is important to know the difference. I would recommend Sankyo, Elmo, and Eumig projectors. However, within these brands, various models are better than others. Other forum members will chime in with their opinions. Those on the other side of the pond have their favorites, but many of them are hard to come by in America.
Your best bet is to buy a projector that you can personally test with sound film. If you buy online, make certain to ask if the projector has been tested with sound film and if all functions work. Most sellers at auction sites will say they have no film to test it with.

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2015 04:54 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any of the Elmo ST-1200 series. There are other nice Elmo models and other brands as well, but you will save money in the long run to get the Elmo ST-1200 now since you will eventually want one -- trust me. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC