8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 sound music videos

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8 sound music videos
Stuart Finkelstein
Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2015 11:17 PM      Profile for Stuart Finkelstein     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a collection of super 8 sound music videos from the late 70s and early 80s. They were purchased from the old days of the Big Reel.

They arrived on strange reels, which couldn't be used on a standard projector. When projected, the sound was advanced a full second and a half. So it was with all of them.

A digital delay device was needed to properly adjust for the difference, which it does. I enjoy them to this day.

My question: does anyone know what process/system used these types of films? Some of them do have record company logos, which leads me to believe these were professionally produced and licensed for some sort of film juke box use. Almost like a super 8 Scopitone system. Almost.

The films also have a disclaimer at the head, which I believe to be in French.

So maybe some of our forum members in Europe may have some idea as to what exactly these films are.

Thanks for looking.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2015 06:55 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stuart, I think your guess is correct, scopitone were a French company building what was I suppose the first video music jukebox. They were made from army surplus bits after the second world war, and the projectors inside were reworked spy cameras from spitfires no less. A friend has one, but its 16mm.Very complicated inside, with relays and spools of film on an endless loop. Most of his films have turned red now.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 16, 2015 07:24 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure my little heart can take it but here are the girls anyway!

https://youtu.be/8a02SqdXuq0

And how it works

https://youtu.be/oIQSZ2DwbW8

Go Go Scopitone!

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2015 08:08 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So that's how these machines work!
It's clever and makes sense,looks like the way a audio tape would work but with pictures too.
Thanks for sharing the link [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 16, 2015 08:24 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unlike 16 mm scopitones films which can be projected in standard projectors, super 8 ones have indeed a second out of sync sound.

--------------------
Dominique

Stuart Finkelstein
Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2015 06:58 PM      Profile for Stuart Finkelstein     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did the super 8 Scopitone mechanism compensate for the sound difference with its design?

Does anyone have any images of a super 8 Scopitone unit? By most accounts, the whole Scopitone fad had faded by the late 1960s. We remember them for their risque 60s style product; not for their presentation of 70s disco.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC