8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig Factory Video

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig Factory Video
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 28, 2015 07:30 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got to see the Eumig factory video that Andrew posted several months ago. I could not bring it up on my old computer but My new Windows 8.1 computer had no problem with it at all:

https://vimeo.com/122564019

I thought the movie was very interesting. What really comes across is the incredible effort in tooling design and inspection equipment required to produce the very high quality cine equipment manufactured by Eumig. And it looks as if Eumig did just about everything themselves with little or no purchasing of offsite components and assemblies. I had no idea that the castings on Eumig projector and camera chassis were magnesium alloy, I had assumed they were aluminum alloy.
It is very sad in a way to watch this video and realize what a huge organization Eumig were, and how they were brought down in just a few years by the Polavision debacle and the advent of magnetic video.
Thanks Andrew for a great view!
[Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 28, 2015 11:41 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray! [Big Grin] [Wink] thanks for the link also. I couldn't find it again when I tried searching for it recently. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2015 12:35 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes .... great to have the link to the Eumig production film and the promo for the RS3000 , I used to own one of the RS300 but unfortunately it had a few problems - the main one was the coxial setup for the full reel and the takeup reel didn't work due to a few broken cogs.
However my main Super8 sound projector is a Eumig [Smile]

I really enjoy watching the process of producing our projectors and cameras that today are history and a few decades old! [Smile]

Cheers from New Zealand [Big Grin]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 29, 2015 01:18 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As said before, the RS 3000 promotional film (I don't know for the other) is a 18 fps one.

-

--------------------
Dominique

Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2015 03:19 AM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, very nice film. Thanks for sharing!
I added the link to the film on the Eumig RS3000 spare parts finder page:
http://www.van-eck.net/itable.php?lang=nl&size=0&cat=film&merk=57&type=RS3000

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 29, 2015 03:58 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting video [Smile]

The thing I have sadly found with the Eumig projectors that I have come across, is corrosion of the magnesium alloy casting itself [Frown] ...not sure how much of that corrosion is due to how those projectors were stored, or its come about, simply through the material aging over the last 30-40 years.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 29, 2015 06:57 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, magnesium alloys are often used in aerospace applications, where resistance to extreme environments of temperature, humidity, and salt fog is required. In order to achieve this, mag alloys are passivated, coated, and painted. Whether or not Eumig went to this kind of expense for a commercial product for use in a home environment is unknown. However, my 800 and 900 Eumig chassis so far show very little or no corrosion, and I live in Florida where you can squeeze the water out of the air! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 29, 2015 11:55 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I have just seen like a white powder residue build up on some of the tight intricate spots on my own Eumig castings. Nothing detrimental to the casting itself though.

I know my own machine had been stored in a loft for many years before my ownership

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 30, 2015 12:48 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Magnesium alloys are far less corrosion resistant than aluminum alloys. If the protective passivation or anodizing coating is scratched it will certainly start a localized corrosion if the environment is damp. Lofts are often hot damp places, so storing any projector or electronic equipment up there is not a good idea.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 30, 2015 01:22 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite right Paul.it doesn't live there now, just before I purchased it by a lady owner from New.
Luckily it was still in full working order when I got it but does now have one or two electronic niggles until I get around to sorting it

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 30, 2015 08:29 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was the RS3000 promo film supplied with the projector?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2015 10:34 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. What were they thinking? That sort of effort for a movie projector that would sell at the most a couple of hundred dollars?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 30, 2015 11:44 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Big business back then when selling to millions Barry.

You think that looks OTT? Have a look what goes into producing a Diaper or Kitchen Towel from scratch!!
Those sell for a matter of 50 cents or so per item.

--------------------

Erik Snel
Junior

- posted September 13, 2015 12:44 PM      Profile for Erik Snel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eumig did made everythings themselves. It is also one of the many reasons it went bankrupt. Quality was the most important things to them so by making it all in house the quality controll was better. thats wy an eumig projector was about twice as much as a japanese one (which are not bad).the corrosion on the magnesium/aluminium alloy has everything to do with how it was stored, humidity is a killer and you het the white powder. it is the magnesium which is being pushed out of the magnesium. (its a galvanic process which is accelerated by the humidity) there nothing that can be done to fix it once it has started. i lived in Fryslan, sea climate, so many eumig's in my collection suffer from this oxydation. altough anoying it has to be really bad to prevent a projector from working.

the eumig film is awesome, the museum in austria sells in on dvd but its only german spoken.

--------------------
Erik Snel Eumig Expert
ES Filmtechniek

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 13, 2015 02:41 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had no corrosipn problem with my Eumig projectors, and Ilive in a very warm humid climate. But our house is air conditioned so I am sure that is very beneficial.
My first encounter with Eumig was when I purchased a Eumig P8, back in 1959. Up until that time I had only been using 9,5mm and my experience was confined to Pathescope and Dekko equipment. I can tell you that the Eumig P8 was a game changer compared with all the cine projectors, from any manufacturer, that preceded it. The quality compared with Pathescope projectors, was like night and day. The p8 design was brilliant, using a very efficient 12 volt 100 wwatt lamp which was as bright as the 500 watt mains voltage lamp being used by Bolex, Bell&Howell, and Kodak machines. Gone was the sheet metal construction common at the time, being replaced by a precision aluminum/magnesium alloy diecast chassis. The P8 was was a gorgoeus looking machine with a new modern look, incorporating a top reel layout with really cool wire formed spools. And it was a stunning performer, with crisp bright pictures, a great sliding gate design, and real optical framing at a time when everyone else was sliding the gate aperture up and down to frame the picture. Above all the P8 reeked of quality design and manufacturing, and with this one projector Eumig suddenly ruled the 8mm cine world. No one else came close offering such value and performance for the money. It was the precursor for the legendary Eumig 700 and 800 series sound machines that were on the horizon in the 1960's, all of which demonstrated the sheer brilliance of the Eumig engineers in Vienna. Quality dipped with the aggressive use of lightweight plastic components and the abortive coaxial reels in the early 900 series machines, but the company closed out with the superb 938 and 940 stereo sound machines, both of which set the benchmark for super 8 sound quality.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC