8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Too much digital on the Forum? (Topic change) (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Too much digital on the Forum? (Topic change)
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 02, 2015 12:21 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don`t think any digital chatting etc is going to change the feeling people on here have with real film.

Or eat away at the daft and even selfish, sometimes, compulsions it puts in to us.

I think you can describe digital film watching as a great experiance, and real film watching and collecting as a nieche hobby.

I never thought I would get away with films on memory stick, now I think its very handy for HD trailers etc.

I also never liked the idea of online streamimg of films etc, now I throroughly enjoy projecting them, with great choice and content, in great qaulity.

Even though in dire need of a decent NT1 belt this weekend, I`ve already had 2 real film sessions ( and 2 digital ).

I think it was a touch of the film compulsions got me with Steelbooks, and a real appreciation of them too.

This great forum is still my number one place to visit, easily beating even ebay which has its own interesting draws.

Funnily enough I think maybe the very quick demise of most of the large format film, has actually caused much more of the information about it, interest in it, and a desire to keep real film than if it had been a longer more drawn out thing.

One thing is for sure. There will still be plenty of real film ramblings going on here tens years or more.

Best Mark.

|  IP: Logged

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2015 12:35 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
I eschewed the earlier formats (e.g., VHS, Beta, LaserDisc, etc.) because I didn't feel that they came close to a good film print (when one was available). I only made the financial investment once my professional eye (NOT my hobbyist eye) told me that digital had advanced to the point quality-wise to make the financial investment worth it. And I don't regret that decision at all. The number of movies that I can now screen from making that investment is absolutely staggering -- and the jaw-dropping quality that has come with it.

However, for me it's always been about the viewing experience -- not the "touching," "feeling'" and "smelling" (?!?) of film. Am I keeping my films and projectors? -- you betcha'! I've collected films for most of my life, and have devoted my professional career to working in communications, which has included work in BOTH film and video airing on national and international broadcast networks. I lend that same professional eye to my hobbyist pursuits. As a result, I take image and sound quality very seriously, with nostalgia not playing any role in that whatsoever.

I think a healthy dose of perspective is sorely needed here, as well as taking the dogmatic blinders off.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 02, 2015 12:57 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always wonder if part of the allure for us is the fact that to most people film presentation has become "obsolete".

Yes: I did this back in the days when it was still state of the art and I enjoyed it back then too, but now what we're doing is also keeping part of cultural and technological history alive. We haven't caught up with the tube radio and victrola guys yet, but that's exactly what they are doing too.

Every so often we even shake it up a little: show animation done on a computer five years ago on a projector made in the 1970s.

-Despite what my achy left knee keeps telling me, we defy time.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 02, 2015 01:16 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems from the different points of vue given in the comments made in this thread and others (in which digital was discussed) that there are two kind of members of this forum : people who just want to Watch a movie and don't really care about the medium and those who feel the experience is totally different between a film and another media. The first category seems to be more and more attracted by digital and less by film while the second category see no reason to give up film. So some take pleasure watching movie and others enjoy all what goes with celluloid projections. Probably some people from the "digital group" don't understand how some people from the "real film category" can spend time and money for films and material when you can easily project a blu ray or a computer fils and some people from the "film group" don't understand how you can feel the same pleasure with a memory stick in your hand instead of a reel ready to be put on a movie projector. These discussions can be endless...

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2015 01:44 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, Dominique, the debate will continue. The sterile image I see now at the theatres these days doesn't make me want to have digital projection at home. I have to check with our local revival house in order to verify 35mm or digital projection when they are playing one of my favorites. I enjoy running film, my friends enjoy watching film, and all the hassle that goes with it is ultimately satisfying to me (even the times when I'm trying to repair a bad splice or dealing with a warped print). I can choose to read what I read here and skim over someone's latest rave over a Blu Ray, but I would rather this forum be about film as there are other venues for just about anything else. And I really don't care what anyone had for dinner, but I am absolutely thrilled to hear all about what they ran through the projector!

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2015 01:54 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dom
You are so right! It seems that some members are content with the modern formats. To me I don't understand why they don't just switch on a big screen TV and watch a film on the many subscription film channels available. Not that that is a criticism, it's still watching a film and I do it frequently, but it doesn't compare with our hobby with celluloid. I have to admit that when members start talking DVD, BlueRay and suchlike, (what is Steelbook anyway?) I feel a mist coming down and just skip the posting. It simply doesn't interest me. The reason I joined the Forum was to hear from like minded members whose interest and experience is with celluloid, film projectors and equipment. I don't think I'm alone in that perspective.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2015 08:52 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a thing. I only project DVD/Blu-Ray. I NEVER watch a disc through a TV. Does this make me a true believer or a heretic??? I keep TV and Cinema separate. My front room is all projection, no TV screens or computers allowed. It is a Cinema and is 'playback' only. 16mm, Super 8 and video projection of DVD and Blu-Ray. Elsewhere in the house of course I have computers and TVs. We all have our 'purist' rules and that is mine.

On the subject of 'denigrating' film I don't consider that talking about having been ripped off, or the many frustrations of getting scratched films, faded films, etc is denigration of film itself. We all have had bad experiences in the hobby. It is more like frustration with PEOPLE who con each-other. Some of whom are fellow film-collectors.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2015 01:22 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An excellent mature thread with good observation and argument.

It illustrates again the many facets of enjoying a movie - big screen whatever the format and all that they encompass.

It also absolutely proves the need for "general Yak" and other individual sections...each has a right to their point whatever their specific interest.

Mark [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2015 01:41 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i could not have said it better myself.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2015 04:22 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that I don't like to hear this 'true believer' or 'heretic' nonsense. It is divisive and unnecessary. We are a Band of Brothers - Good Samaritans - that come to the aid of others in distress - and it's lovely to see. We just have different viewpoints. Nothing wrong with that.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2015 06:49 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's certainly sad to see members leave. Personally, I didn't see any offensive comments over the whole digital thing, but if someone feels offended then I guess they have been.

I know some people have been downright offensive here in the past and duly removed, but it's a shame that someone feels the need to leave over differing viewpoints.

As I've said in another thread, I think this is one of the most civilised forums out there and I value the experience of everyone here.

I wonder if I wouldn't have given up on super 8 by now had I not discovered this place of like-minded folk 10 or so years ago.

Certainly, I would feel a lot more lonely with my "old" films and projectors.

When my Beaulieu went through a recent set of breakdowns, who but you guys would listen or be interested?

I love watching movies to the highest quality, but I love "real" film too.

Group hug, group hug... [Razz]

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2015 07:46 AM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob makes and excellent point that I tend to forget: we all commiserate over our film related troubles and here we can get a sympathetic ear. Hug right back to you, Rob.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 03, 2015 11:46 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Here here, Robs a great guy and always comes to anyone's aid in their hour of need. I have a lot to thank him for over these past few years as I have with many members on here.

Long live our wonderful forum!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 03, 2015 05:53 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its Brad Miller wonderful forum...don't forget the chap that runs it. [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 03, 2015 10:31 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad & Doug indeed do a superb job of providing us all and indeed moderating for us all, this wonderful forum. But I feel whoever contributes to it has the right to call it theirs or ours by way of expressing their association to it Graham.

[ August 04, 2015, 04:08 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 03, 2015 10:31 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted due to a repeat post off..yep, you've guessed it, a phone! [Mad]

[ August 04, 2015, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 04, 2015 01:23 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote..."but I feel whoever contributes to it has the right to call it theirs or ours by way of expressing their association to it"

Nope... I certainly don't feel that way, although I might contribute from time to time, the bottom line is, as a member, this forum does not belong to me or that I should feel in any way have a right to it through having a association with it. Its Brads site he pays for the running and upkeep.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 04, 2015 01:33 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Well yes that's as maybe Graham, but it wouldn't be much of a film forum if it was just Brad posting to Doug, then Doug posting straight back to Brad, would it?

May as well send a text or use a walkie talkie in that scenario.

I was merely pointing out Graham, by terming this wonderful forum "ours" , that it is something by association that you feel you belong to, just as in the same way I term Manchester City as "my" club, but of course it isnt, as I am clearly not a filthy rich Arabian oil tycoon!

Haven't we all at one time or another termed our place of work as an employee "our place"?
Once again, of course it isn't littererally ours, just a term of association.

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2015 02:52 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand what Andrew is saying, but we shouldn't forget that it is Doug and Brad's stage and we are merely the players. Of course we may like to assert our influence on the rules and parameters, but at the end of the day any decision falls to these two guys and we should respect that and be mindful of their status.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 04, 2015 03:32 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never really thought of the places of employment I have worked as "our place" the last was the cinema and now its a retail store, prior to that two airlines, both of which were really good to work for, except in the end they made us all redundant [Roll Eyes]

The way I look at things, is we all get paid to do a job, to pay the bills and to do it "as best" you can. The people I have worked with in the past have certainly done that, but as an employee to think "our place"...I might sound a bit cynical but I don't see things as "our place" the shareholders yes... the people that own it yes... employee sorry no.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 04, 2015 03:53 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Graham, I shall keep the analogy strictly to "my" football club with the forum then.
Its such a shame you cannot see what I'm getting at with this one. I am certain I cannot be alone on this one. [Confused]

Wish I had £1 for anytime anyone ever asked me..
"Hey mate, got any jobs going at "your" place". [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

And of course Terry, all what you're speaking of goes without saying. [Razz]

--------------------

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2015 04:03 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can we just let the endless repetition, and lack of hope of reaching any real conclusion in this thread, go...... before the number of posts reaches "infinity" or the Server runs out of memory?

Brad.. surely 'nuff said?

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 04, 2015 04:34 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, I don't know in English but in French it is current to use "our" to refer to a place we feel we belong to even if we have no official rights on it. I'm teacher and with my colleagues we say "our school". Like with my neighboors we say "our area". I say "my country" even if I'm not the king of Belgium :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 04, 2015 04:42 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite the same here as well Dominique. Thanks for clearing that one up. [Smile]

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2015 06:34 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A great many fine comments here with which I tend to agree rather strongly. Digital stuff belongs in an occasional Off Topic thread. Paul Adsett has done a wonderful job of modeling for us a classy way to keep the best of both worlds happy, side-by-side. Hijacking film threads about digital versions is just not cool.

Additional discussion and unofficial voting at the other "New Section for Digital" thread.

I notice that Vidar hasn't been back on this topic since he decided to agree to disagree, which is a shame because there's more sympathy to his love of film here than he's giving everyone credit for.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC