8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Better lens for my Eumig

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Better lens for my Eumig
John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2015 01:19 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wondering about getting a better lens for my Eumig s936. It has a 1.3 lens in it and have seen various posts saying that the 1.3 lens is only passable.

However, from reading up I understand that the only lens I can get that will fit without modification is a 1.2 from a Eumig s940. There are a few other 1.2 lenses around but it appears that they have different pin arrangement and don't focus very well.

Has anybody upgraded the lens on a s936 (essentially the same as the 938 I believe) and how have they done it? And has anyone got a spare lens from a 940 they don't need as I'd be in the market for one!

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 13, 2015 04:12 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be interested to know which machines the Eumig super Ogon 1.1 fits.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2015 05:58 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, there. Basically, Eumig lenses fit only Eumig machines and rebadged ones (Bolex, Revue, etc).
For the Series 900, a Schneider F 1.1 Xenovaron (the same as the one for Bauer T610) used to be available, that fits the Eumig lens holder perfectly (no makeshift attacment: it's just the real thing and retains focusing perfectly); only downside: it's very rare to the best of my knowledge: I've seen the SAnkyo Hi-Pro more often than this one and the only time I saw it... well I bought it and never regretted the decision. Occasionally a Suprogon pops up on this website: http://www.super8film.at/.
Good luck searching.

--------------------
Maurizio

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 14, 2015 06:23 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Maurizio. I thought (from the pictures I saw) that the super Ogon had not the same design as the other Eumig lenses. Was I wrong ? Do you mean that the super Ogon would fit any super 8 Eumig projector ?

--------------------
Dominique

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 14, 2015 07:42 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use to have the S940 and if its the same lens holder as the S936 its not the Bauer Schneider that fits but the Beaulieu Schneider that is grooved that fits. The picture was much better than the lens that came with the S940. And it was able to throw a larger picture at a shorter distance as well.
The Sankyo High Pro fits the Eumig? I tried to put the Sankyo onto my Beaulieu but it didn't work. I can't remember why though..
And I don't think the 1.1 Ogon fit the 900 series. I think I had one at one point and tried it! So many machines...only so many memories!! [Smile]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 14, 2015 10:36 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, I'm confused by your message. Please, remember that English is a foreign language for me.I understood Maurizio's comment as follow : the Eumig 900 serie has another shape that the other models of the make regarding the lens. For the 900 serie a Schneider 1.1 was available, a special model, with the same specifications that the one used on the Bauer machines but with a different holding system (which makes this lens rarer than the Sankyo Hi-Pro but this is just a comparision of the rarity, it doesn't mean that the Sankyo lens would fit an Eumig). Is my interpretation wrong or correct ? And, I still don't know on which Eumig projectors the Super Ogon goes :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 14, 2015 12:05 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dominique,
You may be right! Now I'm confused. [Smile]
Maurizio- did you purchase the Schneider 1.1 that fits the Eumig?
For the original poster if you cannot find the Schneider that fits the rare Eumig, you can use the Beaulieu made Schneider and that will fit. Picture is sharp with great contrast. You only have to manually focus the lens.
If you mean the Eumig Suprogon Zoom f: 1.1 \ F: 18-28 mm that one fits the Mark S710Dlux as far as I know.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 14, 2015 02:47 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a spare Schneider F1.1 lens for my Beaulieu (the Beaulieu style with the threaded barrel) and it does have the same barrel size as the Eumig S938 (32.5mm I think).

I have used it in the Eumig 938 but as Alan says, with no pin in the lens, you do have to focus manually.

-

Eumig's optical levelling system, though a good idea, does take too much light from the screened image just as anamorphics do the same. Also not a very good lens to begin with, the standard f1.3 Eumig one, so much sharper bigger and brighter image using one of these.

[ August 14, 2015, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2015 02:48 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, Dominique is spot on: he summarized exactly what I meant. And yes, there used to exist a Schneider Xenovaron 1.1 Lens with exactly the same barrel as the ones to use on ANY Eumig S 9xx projector; everything fits in perfectly, included the peg to engage in the focusing system.

I've never mentioned Sankyo lenses can be used on Eumig's S 9xx Series: I mentioned a comparison as regards rarity, between Sankyo's Hi-Pro and the Schneider 1.1 (Eumig taylored).

Indeed, though, a modest Sankyo F 1.3, can fit Eumig's Series 800, IF the focal length ring is removed. The barrel fits in, but focusing becomes difficult, and there is a risk to lose the front element (which can be addressed with some gaffer tape). When I used to project with a Eumig S 804 (whose lens is an Eupronet F1.6!!!) it made a big difference in terms of light on the screen...

Back to the original query, John wrote about a better lens for his Eumig S 936, so the only Suprogon the will fit it, is the same as the one model S 940 (top of the line) used to be delivered with. That is as long as he wants to retain focusing capability with no hassles. There are other Suprogons from Eumig - I guess - but I have no direct knowledge on those. In terms of (total) compatibility in the Eumig family, there is no such thing among modles from different generations: all lenses for Series 800 can be swapped on machines from that Series; the same applies to Series 900 machines; but no cross-swapping is possible between the two series. I've never tried pushing a lens for an M 800 into an M 900 or vice versa; perhaps they would fit in but certainly focusing would be impossible in the regular way. Generally speaking the lenses for Series 900 are a little faster than the previous one with good sharpness and color rendition overall; the Optical Level System though is quite inconsistent in terms of quality; some are no worse than Eumig's average, some others are quite "soft"...

--------------------
Maurizio

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 14, 2015 06:40 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the clarification.

--------------------
Dominique

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2015 02:12 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've found - amazingly - a Suprogon from a Eumig S940. I will report back once it's arrived.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 17, 2015 02:30 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Good find John. Well done! [Wink]

I believe these f1.2 are a much better lens to the standard one on the 938 or 936.

My newest Bauer came with the lesser f1.2 Schneider lens, but it gives off a superb image albeit a little smaller from the same throw distance. Also easier to keep in focus across the entire frame than an f1.1

--------------------

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2015 02:43 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll let you know how I get on with it Andrew. I also got a Kowa anamorphic lens, thought I should get a better prime lens to get as much light as possible!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 17, 2015 02:48 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Wise move John and the Kowa 8Z is superb.

--------------------

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2015 05:09 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the lens came... it's from an old Eumig 940. Bigger picture, brighter and a much sharper picture - particularly at the edges, it's crisp and square. I'm absolutely delighted, and it only cost £15.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 26, 2015 05:13 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
A very nice lens John and obtained for a steal of a price!
Well done Sir, so much better than the original.

I much prefer using my own S938 with my spare Schneider f1.1.
It gives you the image quality you expect from these excellent top of the range machines.

I never understood why they fitted such an average lens to what is an otherwise superb projector.
It took the arrival of the 940 for Eumig to realize this.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC