8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » UltraFire LED Flashlight A100 CREE XM-L T6 2000 Lumens!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UltraFire LED Flashlight A100 CREE XM-L T6 2000 Lumens!
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 18, 2015 07:54 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't mind adapting one of these to try it out in the Bauer!

nice the fact that the beam of light can be focussed down to a very small square, perfect for the tiny 8mm gate.

Also requires only 4.5v DC for full luminosity, so it would appear quite an easy mod using a rectifier pack and a few resistors to get the 12 or 15vac output from our machines down to the 4.5v dc required to power this using our existing lamp circuits just so long as we could remove the battery pack to the rear of these.

At £16 a throw for 5000 hrs, it has to be worth experimenting with I reckon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUNcXoNlESc

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2015 11:13 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive been looking into HID/Xenon options to convert a machine without to much fuss. There are many options but Im looking for the perfect one. For instance ch out this site:
http://www.xevision.com/hid_aircraft_kits.html#conversionkits

From there look at "XV-16-RP" it would have been perfect but it was recently discontinued.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 19, 2015 01:46 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Alan, I am certain the perfect solution for us all cannot be too far away, as you say Alan, with the minimum of fuss or modification.

These options featured here look even better! Just need to get the supply D.C. voltage to the lamp somehow.

--------------------

Narendra Singh
Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2015 06:28 PM      Profile for Narendra Singh   Email Narendra Singh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I have also been working on the exact similar concept. I purchased almost similar flashlight you mention. The one I bought:-

3000 Lumen Zoomable CREE XML T6 LED 18650 Flashlight Focus Torch Zoom Lamp Light
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311398614521?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=ST RK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As you already know, the flashlight has an effective focusing capability with a nice condenser lens. A perfect light source for a projector as one might so think. However the problem that I encountered while experimenting on my Argus 866Z (that's my experimental machine) is when a well-focused square spot beam hits the 8mm gate the intensity of the light drops considerably. This happens due to the gate's small aperture. So far I have not been able to find a logical reason as to why this happens. Of course I get a reasonably good picture but with greatly reduced light intensity. The picture is not as bright as the light source.

You may like to give this a try with a simple experiment. Pass the well-focused light through a small hole (round, square or rectangle) about the size of an 8mm gate in a cardboard and you will notice considerable drop in light intensity when the light passes through the small aperture.

I have tried everything possible - varying the light distance, removing the condenser lens, varying the focus etc. but all in vain.

I would love to know the results of your experiment.

Thank you.

Narendra

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2015 03:31 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the minimum size of the light spot is at the gate aperture and it expands again after passing through the film towards the lens so that not all the light goes through the lens to the screen.
Projector optics (including reflector bulbs) were set up so that the cone of light had its minimum radius at the back element of the projection lens. I have heard of some being so accurate a match to the supplied lend that fitting one of a larger aperture has had little affect on the screen brightness.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 21, 2015 03:33 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it seems the light source is diluted by reducing the beam on these type of lamps. The opposite of what we are used to using traditional lighting methods.

It appears a successful led conversation would need to either be a very powerful chip mounted as close as possible to the aperture or a design very similar to our existing lamps using a dicroic mirror if it focuses the light as well as our existing halogen lamps do.

--------------------

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2015 06:51 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had similar results. I purchased an LED flash lite 2000 lumen's but light output once through the film gate and film was not enough to enjoy the picture. I then bought an LED chip array rated at 3000 lumen's with power supply. Still not enough ight. I the purchased a foot of fiber optic 1/2 diameter solid core with a jacket. It was large enough in diameter to capture plenty of light on the entrance but the length and one foot thickness reduced the light even further.
I guess we continue to experiment until we find that magic solution.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 21, 2015 07:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we're still not quite there yet Alan by the looks of things, but keep trying, the right solution is coming that's for sure and when it does, we will all be benefitting from HTI/ Xenon brightness levels with none of the heat or noisy cooling!

Near silent cine @ 2-3000k genuine Ansi lumens... now there's something to look forward to!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC