8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Best Gangster / Mafia Movies Available on Super 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Gangster / Mafia Movies Available on Super 8
Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2015 06:57 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another selection of personal favourites in a particular genre.

The Godfather I and II 3 x 400 and full feature length. The feature length have colour issues in particular pinkness and both being long films would have issues over repeatability. The 3x400 make very good mini features.

Universal 8 produced three excellent feature length releases. Scarface, Little Caesar and Public Enemy. Scarface the the best print wise. Little Caesar shows it age in places. Public Enemy would be my favourite.

Another Cagney gangster classic would be Angels with Dirty Faces. Available as a 2x400 that you edited together yourself from Derann and a feature release initially by Red Fox but taken over by Derann. The feature definitely has the edge over the cutdown in terms of print and having the full story.

French Connection I and II both 400 digests are excellent cutdowns but the feature releases by Ken have the edge and are excellent. There is also a unique 3x400 version of French Connection created by me when Derann sold me a number of odd reels from the feature. If you ever come across it is a good viewing.

The Seven Ups is another excellent 400 digest. The full length feature has the full car chase is slightly better print and sound wise but is bit slow to watch. Both are Ken Releases.

Two other digests that managed to hold the story exceptionally well are Key Largo 400 digest and Dillinger digest starring Warren Oates 400. Excellent edits any very repeatable.

Bonnie and Clyde 3 x 400 was available from UFA dubbed in German. Print is good and I know some collectors have redubbed into English.

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 22, 2015 07:42 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Double post)

--------------------
Winbert

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 22, 2015 07:43 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Double of double post)...blame it on my cellphone [Razz]

--------------------
Winbert

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 22, 2015 07:46 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is Bugsy Malone from Walton that can fit to your musical and gangster list.

Also Borsalino & Co (Alain Delon) from Marketing Film, but only available in German.

--------------------
Winbert

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 02:40 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike

about 12 years ago I had a very nice print of "Scarface" (Paul Muni)...I also had a full length print of the "Godfather"...fading quite a bit though...I cannot live with 2red" prints... [Frown]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 05:04 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bugsy Malone definitely a musical in a gangster setting. The same as Robin and the Seven Hoods. I am a great admirer of Alain Delon movies. I would suspect the gangster caper movie The Sicilian Clan also with Jean Gabin made it to Super 8 in some form in French. Another rarity is Rod Steiger's Al Capone I saw it on a list once in feature form on super 8. I was too late to get it but it is out there. Another Steiger film that could fall into gangster category is the notorious
banned Hennessy which is available as a good 400 cutdown. You can follow the story which is just as well as you likely have not seen the feature. It is not actually banned for the plot lone IRA man going to assassinate the Queen and parliament
with a bomb but because cheeky American International lifted actual footage of the opening of parliament without permission when the Queen stopped her speech because someone collapsed.

Two other classic gangster films I would suspect are out there in Super 8 would be Roaring Twenties and White Heat maybe someone can confirm their existence.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 06:27 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walton also did Bugsy Malone, but as a cut 4x400ft, which I have.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 06:39 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bugsy still not a gangster movie in any format [Cool]

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 06:49 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Big Combo" is one of my favourites on Super 8. I think it is a Powell release as I don't have the original boxes on 5X400ft reels. It's an excellent thriller with a great cast. It doubles up nicely with Mountain's "Cry Danger"(4X400ft) starring the great Dick Powell. Both pretty good prints too.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 06:56 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remembered about Big Combo this morning. I never collected the title so couldn't express opinion on print . A lot of film noir titles would also fit into the genre like Maltese Falcon 2x400 etc

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 08:42 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LITTLE CAESAR and PUBLIC ENEMY were released by I.E.International in 3x400 versions and not by U8 as complete features.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 09:06 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Derann got them straight after they sold the last of the new 400' digests that they bought from Universal 8 so it is about 1983/84.They are mentioned in a early issue of Film for Collector. I bought Scarface and Public Enemy new at the time for £79.99 each and picked up Little Caesar secondhand much later. Scarface and Public Enemy both had Universal 8 logos on each reel. To my memory they were all uncut.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 09:52 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Scarface full feature with Paul Muni and an unknown actor then, a guy called Boris Karloff, and angels with James Cagney feature, but didn't know they did Public Enemy and Little Ceasar as full length features, something to look out for. James Cagney was just brilliant in these movies and George Raft, who was supposed to be a real "hoodlum". Would have loved "White Heat" on super 8, just great movies.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 02:51 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently picked up a print of the 3X400ft version of "Little Caesar" from eBay, but I've been so busy of late that I haven't watched it yet. As the nights start to get longer I'll get one of the projectors out and stop watching the digital and start watching "reel" film again.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 05:47 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Untouchables 1987 optical feature.

Bill [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC