8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig 807D Question (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Eumig 807D Question
Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2015 06:58 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I've glued it with 'industrial' strength super glue, I glued the little nut in place hoping it won't put so much strain on the glued plastic. I'm letting this cure for 24 hours, I'm going to glue it to the shaft with this glue and let it cure for a further 24 hours, the grub screw will only be lightly tightened as I'm hoping the glue will do the job of securing this in place. Question Lee will gluing this to the shaft have any effect on the running of the projector, does there have to be any play in this part, or is firm fixing what it needs to keep the top loop formed.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2015 04:34 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, when I try to put the plastic piece on the drive shaft, the shaft moves back into the projector chassis,is this correct, is it the actual plastic sprocket that holds the shaft in place once the grub screw is tightened, this is asking a lot, no wonder this is a weak part as it must take a lot of strain on the plastic...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 03, 2015 01:05 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, the cracking problem is solely associated with the stress induced by the tightening of the grub screw. In use, the only running stress on the plastic hub is the tension induced by the roll off of film from the supply reel, which is negligible. The tapping of the grub screw thread in the plastic hub results in a stress concentration around the tapped hole, which produces a crack when the screw is tightened, which gradually gets larger until the whole part fails (sounds like the Dehavilland Comet disaster doesn't it, and its the same kind of thing, resulting from what was probably zero stress analysis by the Eumig engineers). A lot of the small plastic parts on Eumig's seem prone to cracking, which leaves you wondering that some people in their design team thought that designing parts in plastic was no different than designing the same part in metal.
so, if this part were to be remade in plastic it should include helicoil inserts in the plastic thread to help distribute the stress in that area, plus a filled type of plastic such as Delrin AF might be more suitable material. Bottom line though, the part should probably have been metal.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 03, 2015 05:30 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to read what an Engineer makes of all this.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2015 07:02 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul....

Thanks for your interesting analysis of this vexing plastic sprocket-hub design by Eumig but it raises a few further questions about its operation.

a. Can you tell us exactly what the purpose is of the small nut found inside the plastic hub. ?

b. Consider the amount of sudden stress that's exerted on the hub when you turn a Eumig 800 projector from forward project to reverse project. Especially if the rewind clutch has been over tightened by some one wanting a fast slip free rewind.

I think the sudden force would be more than merely negligible. If it doesn't break the film or some sprocket holes it may be enough to cause the hub to move around on the shaft or even crack the hub after a number of applications. Just as we have found them cracked so mysteriously.

What are yours and others thoughts on the above scenario?

dogtor frankarnstein
[Wink]

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2015 07:29 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The small nut as I see it is because the plastic hub is not threaded and also isn't a self tapping screw, the nut is the thread and it then forces it's self to the top of the plastic hub, there by making the 'weak' point stress on the thin plastic part. I have glued my nut to the bottom on the hub where it then goes directly through the hole to the drive shaft, and doesn't put the stress on the top weak plastic moulding, I have also glued it to the drive shaft. The stutters I found was that the standard 8 gate was adjusted too wide and the film was 'sloppy' as it passed through, I loosened the two tiny screws and moved it over slightly, now up till the last running it was OK, even with a poor print I had.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 05, 2015 09:42 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had forgotten about the nut! So I took the sprocket off my 824D to get some picks, and low and behold the plastic is cracked on this one too! So this failure must be very common.
Anyway, Steve's observation is quite correct, the plastic itself is not threaded, and when you tighten the set screw it pulls outward on the nut plate as you tighten the screw against the shaft, This puts a very high tensile stress right at the outer corner of the rectangular slot in the plastic hub, where there is already a stress concentration by virtue of that sharp corner. You can see from the photo exactly how the crack would propagate outward from the corner.

-

To Frank's point about the load induced upon reverse projection. Yes this would obviously be much greater than during forward running when the feed spool is not being driven. But this load would be a torque load on the sprocket which would not put anywhere near the load on the plastic hub compared with the load induced by tightening the set screw. Remember that threads have huge mechanical advantage. I think the failure mode of the radial crack propagating from the slot pretty well nails the root cause.
If Eumig had rounded the corners i.e. like an oval with a full radius at each end of the slot, then the stress concentration would have been much less, and then maybe the part would not have cracked. (This is sounding more like the Comet disaster every day- rememeber that the square windows on the original Comet resulted in a very high stress concentration in the fuselage and ultimate cracking and explosive decompression)

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2015 06:32 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the informative response Paul and sounds like we both agree with Steves previous explanation about the purpose and operation of the threaded nut.
It is a little tricky to figure out the forces involved without careful inspection of it.

Steve,...with regards to your question about the shaft moving into the projector when refitting the sprocket..
The sprocket shaft should have a small locating groove on it, This is where the tightened grub screw is designed to locate the sprocket correctly on the shaft and prevent excess end float.

If you are still going to glue the sprocket hub back on the shaft, first make sure the grub screw is located directly over the locating groove in the shaft.

If the shaft has slipped in, then you will need to push it back out from the inside, and block it there while you attach the sprocket hub in the right spot. You may not get a second chance to reglue in the right spot so get this right 1st time.

Good luck if gluing...

dogtor frankarnstein
[Smile] [Wink]

[ October 11, 2015, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: frank arnstein ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC