8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » ELMO GP Dual 8 Projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ELMO GP Dual 8 Projector
Don Elsass
Junior

- posted September 30, 2015 08:31 AM      Profile for Don Elsass   Email Don Elsass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projector is quiet when running in reverse, but very noisy and squeaky when running forward. Do the plastic gears need to be lubricated? If so, what should be used? Is there something else that could be causing the noise?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 30, 2015 10:45 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could try this on your gears:

My Great Worm-Glop Weekend!

It may help, it can't hurt.

What kind of concerns me is that you have a squeak going forward but not in reverse. Bearings have a little bit of clearance in them, and this means that the sleeve and the shaft will contact each other in different spots depending on direction (and speed too) as friction causes the shaft to "walk" after it starts to rotate , so a bearing could actually be worn out in "Forward" yet still fine in "Reverse" since its spends hours in one direction and minutes in the other.

It's a good time to quiet the room and listen very carefully: figure out exactly where the sound is coming from.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Don Elsass
Junior

- posted September 30, 2015 06:24 PM      Profile for Don Elsass   Email Don Elsass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The culprit is the bearing for the wind-up reel. I gave it a shot of WD-40 and noise was reduced some what. Do you know if a replacement bearing available?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 30, 2015 07:01 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For better or worse this is a problem I've never had, so the honest answer is "I dunno!".

Here's a thought: WD-40 isn't really a lubricant, but rather a degreaser/cleaner. If you give it a couple of days to evaporate out, you could try again with a drop or two of 3 in 1 oil.

I guess the thing to do if the bearing really is shot is try to extract it, get some measurements (vernier caliper) and start poking around the 'net looking for replacements. (McMaster Carr?)

The nice thing about parts like bearings is manufacturers of all sorts of machines like to buy standard parts off the shelf: They are cheaper, more reliable and allow the companies to concentrate their Engineering time on their specialties and not have to deal with everything else.

-so there's a decent chance the bearing they used (or an equivalent) is still available. Not a certainty for sure, but a chance.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 30, 2015 07:30 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I can honestly say I've never come across a standard ball or Roller bearing on any projector that isn't very easily obtainable from any standard engineering merchant.

It really shouldn't be issue sorting this one.
SKF, FAG, NKE etc etc.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC