8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Plastic Tip

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plastic Tip
Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2015 08:43 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With my Eumig broken plastic woes, something came into my head that might be of help to others, have you ever had a plastic piece crack or break and when you have set out to glue it back together there is a gap where a piece has broken badly. Well this tip came to me from an old guitar tech, it's a plastic fix they use when the plastic nut is cut too deep with wear of the strings or it was just cut too deep, glue the plastic back together and allow to dry, then fill the gap with baking soda, then drip some thin super glue into the soda allow to dry, repack with more soda if necessary. But what you should then do is keep dripping a bit more super into the repair and allow to harden, when finished you can sand etc,.

|  IP: Logged

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2015 03:02 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 3 plastic 'gears' on my ST1200 that are cracked but not yet broken off.... Should it go this way, I will be sure to try this!
Thanx Steve!
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2015 03:30 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The guy who told me this said it's a chemical reaction,in fact he put some on a piece of wood when it set it was that hard he cut it clean in half with a sharp chisle and malet.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 01, 2015 04:27 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found Elmer's Glue-All Max to be great for filling in any gaps when glueing. I recently had to glue a cracked plastic leveling wheel onto a metal leveling screw. The Elmer Glue-All Max expands as it drys and after 24 hours is super strong and can be sanded and painted if necessary. See results in this thread: http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001332#000003

-

[ October 01, 2015, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 01, 2015 06:41 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elmer's for Elmo's? [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC