8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » ELMO GP Dual 8 Jumpy Image

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ELMO GP Dual 8 Jumpy Image
Don Elsass
Junior

- posted October 01, 2015 03:47 PM      Profile for Don Elsass   Email Don Elsass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't eliminate the image jumping up and down and it appears to be projecting the image between frames. Is there any other adjustment for this besides the framing lever? Or is there an adjustment for the framing lever? If I run it in reverse, the image stops jumping and it is centered. Could the noisy bearing in my other post be causing this too? I'm new to 8mm and it is very CHALLENGING!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 01, 2015 04:17 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should have a loop of film above and below the gate so the film is free to bounce under the action of the claw without being pulled taut.

If you look in and don't see (especially) the one under the gate, there should be a lever to kick the film out into a loop. In the Elmos I know, it starts with a pusher which sits right where the film leaves the gate and it pivots on a screw maybe an inch and a half underneath. It will probably be black plastic and meet up with a lever which sits in the side cover when it closes.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Don Elsass
Junior

- posted October 01, 2015 04:40 PM      Profile for Don Elsass   Email Don Elsass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you see the edit to my post? The image is normal when run in reverse which doesn't use the reel with the bad bearing.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 01, 2015 04:41 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also Don...The Elmo GP Series is a dual format projector. Make sure that you have the film format properly selected for the film you are projecting....Standard 8mm or Super 8mm. If you select the wrong format the claw will not synchronize properly with the film sprockets and the image can jump.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 01, 2015 05:34 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Janice on the correct format. First things first!

If it misbehaves at the same time as the bearing acts up maybe the bearing surfaces are so roughened it's introducing a vibration into the motion of the film.

-Can't have a smooth ride on square tires!

I was thinking about this one today. Is it possible to take the bearing out, flip it upside down and put it back? The surfaces inside the top of the bearing race have never been ground on (gravity...) and should still be brand new.

Anything North of 90 degrees (either direction) from the bottom should be untouched.

[ October 01, 2015, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Don Elsass
Junior

- posted October 01, 2015 07:40 PM      Profile for Don Elsass   Email Don Elsass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's standard, film date 1947, well before Super was introduced and that's what it is set for (R). I just discovered the cause! There is a slow motion lever on the front of the projector that I didn't know existed. I pushed it down, out of slow motion, and the image is stable. So happy it was so simple. Thanks to all for your suggestions!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC