8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo Comparison Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo Comparison Question
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2015 11:40 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which Elmo unit would be the best choice for just showing film and not doing any re-recording or dubbing or mixing.? Just simple viewing ?

|  IP: Logged

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2015 11:50 AM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any of the ST-1200 models. I like them because of the 150 watt lamp and 1200 foot capacity.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 05, 2015 02:56 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
100% the 1200 range, there are always some for sale somewhere, if you can get the ST1200HD all the better.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2015 06:05 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried searching the forum, but couldn't find any threads that give distinct differences between the various models (i.e. GS, ST, etc.). Does the number after the letters denote take up reel capacity? I don't have any film on larger than 400' reels. All the units I've owned always had a 600' take up reel.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 05, 2015 06:23 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Brad, the numbers refer to the reel capacity : ST 1200 : 1200 ft, GS 800 : 800 ft, GS 1200 : 1200 ft and so one. If you want more détails, there is the super8data.com site but it is down at the moment (that happened in the past and it came back).

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 05, 2015 06:34 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super-8 Wiki is basically the same data:

Super-8 Wiki: Projectors

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2015 07:16 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trick that helped me as well Brad is to know that the model numbers are listed in both meter and feet versions depending on whether it is European or North American versions, i believe.
For example, The St180 is the same as the 600 capacity-wise. 180 Meters=600 feet.
I have the St180E and the ST1200HD. I love both. Even the 180E would be good for what you require, but you did ask what was the 'best choice' so then, I would agree with the statements above. The St1200HD is wonderful.
Cheers,
Matt

[ October 05, 2015, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Mathew James ]

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2015 07:20 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just love this place! Ask a question and WHAM.... The answers just poor in. I truly appreciate all the input. This is so awesome. What are your thoughts on Elmo 16mm units?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 05, 2015 07:41 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
This is THE most visited, respected and informative of all of the forums Brad.

You will always get an educated, well advised and experienced response on here from one of many extremely knowledgeable members of the forum. I am glad you like it!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 06, 2015 01:30 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew, I believe the example you gave (the ST 180) is the only case of the ST/GS series with numbers refering to a meters lenght. The GS 1200 was sold Under that reference in Europe (the only difference, voltage setting aside) seems to be the lenght of the projector itself ( a few centimers longer for the US version).

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2015 07:08 AM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, As far as 16mm goes, the Elmo CL machines are wonderful workhorses that are simple in design and easy to run. There are many available with new rollers installed for about $300.00 which should last many years. I had an Elmo AL16 once and the best feature on that machine was it automatically shut off when the film ended (much like a reel tape deck). I wouldn't recommend the AL because the functions are electronic buttons that are difficult to replace, but the CL has a basic knob to run and rewind your film.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 06, 2015 07:16 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I know anything at all about 16mm machines because I don't Brad, but what I can say is the CL is a slot loader just in case that makes any difference to your preferences.

I know some people prefer manual, auto etc.

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 06, 2015 11:49 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the ELMO 16CL for its simplicity. I have three of them... one permanently set up in my cine room... one for my outdoor screenings... in one for my telecine work. I did have to install new rollers on one of the machines. The rollers cost about $100, but are well worth it and easy to install. I think it's a great choice if you are just getting into 16 millimeter.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2015 02:37 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do the "G" and "S" denote? The "T" I'm guessing is for "track"? Can't seem to figure it out even looking through old catalogs.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2015 07:41 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure the GS and ST prefixes have been worked out as to meaning.

On deciding, work out whether 100w or 150w lamp is required or more. That will point you to the machine. If you only need a 3 to 4 foot wide picture in a room where the distance to the screen is maybe 10 to 15 feet then 100w is okay. The best Elmo with the 100w lamp would be the GS 800. Any bigger requirement then it's the ST1200 or GS 1200, and so on.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2015 09:25 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let`s hear it for the Sankyo DCM or DCT.
Sorry misread is it only Elmo's.

--------------------
James Wilson

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2015 10:31 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim...You're fine, Mate. a thread often starts off as one singular topic, but I never mind if others take us on a different journey. Now, back to the topic at hand... I prefer a 150w bulb so I guess the ST model is what I'd be looking at when the time comes. Janice, I have heard from others that the Elmo Slot Loads are truly nice units (yes, I prefer a slot loader - easier to remove film that gets jammed). Jim, you're not the only one who has had nice things to say about Sankyo projectors. They remind ma a lot of the Chinons back in the day.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2015 11:50 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the Elmo ST 1200, Sankyo Stereo 800, Beaulieu 708 AND the Eumig S938 stereo all take that same 150w halogen lamp and these all have a good reputation. I haven't had the Sankyo myself. I can recommend the Eumig, though. Some say it is a bit plasticky but stylish and can be got at good prices.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 10, 2015 04:39 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You missed out one of the very best players there Steven! [Smile] [Wink]

Maybe on purpose,but which ever way the Bosch should never be overlooked I reckon!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC