8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Projections magazine.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projections magazine.
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 09, 2015 04:03 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projections. Is it still going?
I only ask because looking back at my FFTC mags, i remembered a kind chap putting a small piece in the collectors comments about what a certain weirdo called Rex Osborne,( AKA Mr you know who), said about my articles. I never did read it because i had stopped subscribing at that time, but i think i answered him very politely and professionally in the following month.
Does anyone know if it's still around and if so, what are the subs and how do you get it?

BTW. There was a reason why he turned into a sado against me, when it first launched i was asked if i would contribute, i started to but found time was not on my side and i was very loyal to Deranns magazine which i kept going, once i stopped doing projections after a few weeks, he obviously saw my articles continuing in Deranns magazine & i assume he took offense to it and, from what i read about, criticised my items, not that i gave a monkeys, i thought it was quite funny,especially as we all knew who this alias asshole was, clearly wanting to hide behind a false identity. He use to wind Mr Wilton up quite a bit to

|  IP: Logged

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2015 04:14 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes tom projections is still going strong ,run by pete travers who I speak to regular and attends blackpool every year since I have run it

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2015 04:23 PM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello Tom. yes projections is indeed still going strong. now published by Peter Travers. its a bi-monthly magazine for all interests in film and dvd on the big screen. a superb little magazine that i for one always look forward to recieving.i know many on this forum would find it a great read. just send 6 C5 self addressed envelopes with either 1st or 2nd class stamp on each plus a minimum donation of £12.50 to recieve six issues per year to peter travers. 24 gatcombe avenue.portsmouth. P03 5HG. issue 71 due out this month.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 09, 2015 04:37 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think i will do that, no its not run by you know who. [Wink]

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2015 04:38 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi tom its a great mag plenty of good stuff in it and mentions blackpool as well

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 10, 2015 12:23 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, i am on the case

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 10, 2015 01:56 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading that in the FFTC magazine, boy that's going back a few years was Rex Osborne the same person that did the regular Littlechild Reports?.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2015 02:22 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes he is Barry Littlechild.
I had a similar experience with this rude guy,whom even Keith Wilton barred from the BFCC! I had sent him an article which seems like he took a quick look at,and them rewrote it from memory,full of mistakes,turning it into what Leonard Maltin called "...the Myrna Loy westerns directed by Alfred Hitchcock...". I wrote him about it and received a letter full of insults and ironies concluding that he didn't want me as a subscriber anymore and after all "... my handwriting was incomprehensible..". Well,the article was typewritten !!!
Thankfully,after,I believe, two years,he left the magazine and Peter Travers took over.

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2015 03:20 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes Peter travers does a remarkable job. all credit due to anyone giving such time and effort to promote the hobby. a great little read for anyone interested in film. i highly recommend it.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 11, 2015 06:48 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes,wasn't that the very same Mr Littlechild that used to post an article in FFTC regularly,then sell his soul down the river in favour of Panasonic Video projection.

Much in the same way,I have to admit, I did myself before smelling the coffee again! [Big Grin]

Not seen Barry posting on any forums though since those days. Perhaps his love for real film wasn't all that then.

I do remember once he discovered the new Panny model, he couldn't wait to start reciting to us all,all of the benefits of digital projection while outlining all of the negative aspects and disappointments he had experienced while using real film.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 11, 2015 11:12 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once wrote a letter to Projections stating how great the super 8mm print of That's Entertainment 3 was, and how much better I thought it was in comparison to the DVD. Better contrast and better color for sure. In the next issue Barry replied that he had a 16mm copy of TE3 in his possession and there was no doubt that the DVD was superior to even that! So, I think at that time Barry was totally sold on digital and was done with film.
Today we all know that digital is often noticeably inferior to film, even in the professional theater. Case in point, yesterday we went to see the Rober Wise classic ghost film The Haunting, at the Enzian. Great movie, but the black and white picture was noticeably lacking in contrast and was very flat. I am sure a good 35mm print would have knocked the socks of it.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2015 01:57 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind if he is pro-digital. After all, PROJECTIONS features many articles on digital.I mind if the person is mean, rude and insulting to anyone who "opposes" him in any way.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC