8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » CineSea 12 Fall 2015 In Pictures (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: CineSea 12 Fall 2015 In Pictures
Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2015 09:39 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I'll do it as usual by posting up to the forum limit, someone put in a follow-up line or two, and then I continue, so we keep the whole subject in one long post.

-

Gary Crawford and I were the early birds again, having driven up together on Thursday and arriving in Wildwood by mid-afternoon. We had been worried about the storms going up and down the coast, but the weather was perfect when we got there, mid-seventies and sunny.

There is something to be said for Mother Nature: no matter if you are on the Riviera or on the Jersey shore, a gorgeous sunrise is still the same. This was the view of the sea at 7 AM
Friday morning, right down from the hotel:

-

Wildwood always surprises. A vintage car/motorcycle gathering at a nearby hotel made Friday morning great fun. Someone had a beautifully restored Edsel:

-

Meanwhile on the beach, the balloon-flying "regulars" brought their toys, including this creature:

-

The atmosphere on the shore is fun, quirky and unpredictable. One year we had a marching band competition :-)

-

Meanwhile, at the hotel, "the room" waited for us....as humble, as un-glamorous as ever, and yet also as magical. As one looked in, there was no sound but the sea, a deceptive quiet before the clatter of projectors and the mix of soundtracks and talk would fill the air:

-

"Unloading is such sweet sorrow" to paraphrase a bit (especially if you have GS-1200s..)
Gary, don't give me that look; I'll help you as soon as I have taken the picture [Big Grin]

-

At the limit, so we'll continue with Friday next time...

C.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 13, 2015 09:49 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always ready for Friday!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 13, 2015 10:38 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good photos [Cool]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 14, 2015 06:31 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As usual, when you see these pictures and read the comments, you can only regret you couldn't attend this great event.

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 14, 2015 06:53 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same [Frown]

Great to see the images!

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2015 01:26 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Franchettis dropped by Thursday night with some of their (considerable) load. This time around, they also brought posters:

-

Friday the regulars started coming. Gary Sloan got help from Shorty (little Steven Klare was appropriately attired):

-

Jack Cleveland got going on his setup:

-

Dr. Caruso showcased the Friday night feature, his print of "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein":

-

Doug Meltzer prepared the film for the screening:

-

-

Joe Vannicola showed up suitably "Bolexed" for the occation:

-

This was the setup for the Friday feature and for the Saturday post-dinner show: Gary Sloan's B&H Xenons and Doug's GS-1200 Xenon. These would be moved for the regular "floor show" during the day.
Doug's big screen fits the room as if it were tailored for it. It makes for a presentation with terrific impact:

-

More to come...

C.

[ October 14, 2015, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Claus Harding ]

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 14, 2015 01:46 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terrific as usual, Claus!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2015 01:48 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks really good! [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2015 04:06 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why are there more collectors in SoCal? Nice going, guys!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 14, 2015 04:13 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The screening room including those fabulous projector tables is like a blast from the past. So much top class equipment and totally professional presentation.

Brilliantly done guys.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2015 05:45 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Friday night, we started with trailers and shorts to warm things up...

-

...including this surreal animated skeleton dance sequence...

-

...and then it was time for the main feature.
"Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" ran beautifully and was good fun.
Halogen lamps are good for many things, but nothing bangs home a film like the ton of concentrated light you get from a Xenon (ok, maybe a carbon arc, but let's keep it somewhat realistic..)

-

-----------

Come Saturday morning, it was time for Cinesea to start for real. People kept arriving, projectors started up and soon the room was in full swing.
As mentioned, Lou and Lou, Jr brought their tables' worth of 16mm as usual:

-

...and they had a beautiful, recently acquired Kodak machine to run them on:

-

Jack Cleveland had upgraded to a Xenon:
 -

It did his lovely prints full justice. These are from "To Catch a Thief". Technicolor and VistaVision onto 16mm IB Tech....this is definitely NOT video....

-

-

I'll be back with more...

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 14, 2015 06:06 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug's big screen does make a difference. With it we are projecting S8 and 16mm larger than a lot of the commercial houses that have become twinned and quadded ("quadded"???) do.

I enjoy bringing some of my own films down and letting them stretch their legs out on that big screen!

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2015 10:41 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Catch a Thief.....whoa...beautiful!

Looks like a real good time! Nice pics and commentary Claus.

Bill [Smile]

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 15, 2015 10:20 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We can always rely on Claus for the finest - Shorty

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 15, 2015 01:05 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How wonderful for you guys to share as collectors and to view such an awesome print of To Catch a Thief on a big screen. This is what this hobby is all about.

Thanks Claus for the great pics. From the many of us that can't attend CineSea...these pics at least allow us to share a little bit in the excitement.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2015 10:43 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While we all were getting set up, one show was already underway:
Steven Klare had found a corner for his Yelco and his films and was rolling:

-

-

Gary has a long-running film show at his local library, complete with programs, quizzes and such. His trusty Pageants are the backbone of his 16mm work:

-

Two people who truly bring sunshine every time they visit, Geoffrey and Lori were back with 16mm and good humor:

-

We know the room so well that everyone just has their own space.
Doug was in his usual corner with his GS and a well-stocked table:

-

He also brought a wonderful device that some of you will know about, but it was great to see it in action. More about this later....

-

Anybody know this crazy guy?....(that's Todd Tuckey...)

-

Our PR efforts are growing, however, since the showgirls couldn't make it, you're going to have to settle for me and Shorty....

-

Stay tuned; we ain't done yet....

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 16, 2015 11:08 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waw, with that great report, we have the filling we almost were there !

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 16, 2015 11:18 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm proud of my kid!

When somebody in the room wanted a preview of an R8 film, he became the dual-gauge go-to guy!

When I drove him to school this morning he asked me about Vinegar Syndrome...

-guess it's getting to be time to have...that talk! [Wink]

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2015 11:21 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, you mean about the dangers of 16mm....:-)

C.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 16, 2015 11:36 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Do you really KNOW that projector you are running your print in?

People who project their films through many strange machines soon regret it, but by then it's too late!"

A couple of weeks ago I found out his machine had been modified to operate the lamp at reduced wattage and I restored it to full steam before this CineSea.

12.5 Watts in a 50 Watt bulb in broad daylight?

-No wonder he wears glasses!

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2015 12:14 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lists....who knows what lurks in the lists of Men....?
Joe wants to know:

-

Brian Hendel was back for more fun:

-

...and we said hello to Thad Ficarra, a Cinesea first-timer:

-

Meanwhile, beautiful images kept showing up on the screens:

-

-

It was time for John Capazzo Catering again: homemade apple pie, cupcakes and good espresso:

-

...but time as well for John for the most important:

-

Joe Griesbach held court with his Ampros. We were talking with him about maybe getting a carbon-arc machine ready for the next show...

-

Two more segments and we'll wrap this one...

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 16, 2015 01:07 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We interrupt Claus' brilliant report for an important bulletin:

The next CineSea gathering will take place the last weekend in April!

Friday 4/29/16: Friday Night Feature screening 7:00 PM

Saturday 4/30/16: 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Dinner Break, Evening Screenings.

Doug

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2015 02:42 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good timing, Doug. Everyone, note the dates and start planning!
------------

One thing happened this time that was the perfect embodiment of our hobby. A young couple showed up and first browsed around:

-

They initially bought two small posters, but before they left they had gotten a bargain-priced 16mm projector from Joe G. and a free film print from Geoffrey, to get started in the hobby.
Wherever John Black is, he surely must have smiled at this as it embodies everything he believed in: don't hoard film, share generously with others, get people excited about film face-to-face.

How about an auction? A whole load of 35mm trailers went to Geoffrey:

-

The Saturday Dinner rolled around, this time at the Rio Station (we didn't add the pic of Myrna; she's part of the exhibit):

-

Our good friend Simone had smoothed the way, getting us the party room in the place:

-

-

-

-

We celebrated Todd Tuckey's birthday as well:

-

Back at the hotel, the wine and soda were opened, snacks laid out, and the projectors lit. It was time for the post-dinner screenings....

I'll finish the Saturday night, add one promised attraction and wrap up next time.

C.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 16, 2015 04:55 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never noticed that Myrna Loy had joined us for dinner!

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 16, 2015 05:10 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Outstanding everything!! Screenshots,photographs,speakers, projectors, venue, personnel....everything!

Simply superb convention. [Smile]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC