8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Long term Filmguard on 8mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Long term Filmguard on 8mm
Nate Gatfield
Junior

- posted October 23, 2015 02:07 AM      Profile for Nate Gatfield   Email Nate Gatfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am new to film. I have been reading that Filmguard is really good for cleaning and lubing film, but I have a concern. I can't remember where, but someone claimed that Filmguard applied to 8mm films that are sealed will soften and destroy the emulsion after about 10 years because it doesn't dry. I am wondering if anyone can shed light on whether that is true is some instances. I am going to try to digital my grandma's old 8mm not (super 8) films. Until now they haven't been viewed for 35 years, so after I am done, they probably will go back in storage indefinitely. These are only "sealed" in cardboard and plastic film containers so Filmguard probably can evaporate. I just don't want to accidentally destroy them. Sorry, I can't remember who or where someone claimed that, it was under some other random site's forum.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 23, 2015 04:26 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
From the people I know who have been using Filmguard for over a decade and keep their films inside a cardboard box (unsealed) or a film cannister, I haven't heard any complaints so far.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 23, 2015 08:59 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nate,

No. That would be a complete falsehood.

I've been using FilmGuard on my 8mm & 16mm prints for over 12 years. They are stored in either cardboard boxes, plastic cases or metal film cans. I have never had a problem.

Also....welcome to the 8mm Forum!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 23, 2015 10:13 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just recently, did something not entirely unorthodox - I gave a VS 8mm film of mine a bath in warm-hot water and baking soda - After an hour and a half or so, the smell was 95% gone, washed the metal can and reel, and they are fine - Maybe I'm on to something, been advocating this idea for a time now - It was a 400' short containing 2 silents at 200' each, and I wasn't about to trash a couple of rare Charlie Chases - I'm thinking to incease the "bath" time to 5 hours, possibly longer if I run across another "salad-dressing" aroma film, which is rare - And what Doug says is quite right, whether kept in cans or boxes, as long as you best maintain the film, it will last as long as you are a mind to - Scientist Shorty

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2015 02:31 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty,

you will not stop a chemical breakdown - vinegar. Only disguise it..or slow things down a little. [Frown]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 23, 2015 03:21 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it isn't a cure, but it helps and I'll check the film I "bathed", every so often to see if the smell returns

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 23, 2015 08:54 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty - I wondered what caused you to try baking soda?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Nate Gatfield
Junior

- posted October 24, 2015 10:05 PM      Profile for Nate Gatfield   Email Nate Gatfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thank all of you for your help. I am going to get some Filmguard then. I have a tenacity to get a little paranoid at times.

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2015 12:21 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Filmguard to clean my films and also if the picture is "jittery" as the Filmguard lubricates the film and therefore the film path.
And it does dry [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2015 02:30 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But don't over apply it.

Only use a tiny amount, say drop or two for around 200ft of 8mm film.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC