8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Looking for 8mm Projector for transfers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for 8mm Projector for transfers
Bill Vendasi
Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2015 05:53 PM      Profile for Bill Vendasi   Email Bill Vendasi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks,

I'm still a newbie at this, plus it's been a good while since I've been here so I'm basically back to square one.

I need some advice on buying a quality Dual 8 (8mm/Super 8) projector with variable speed.

I will use this mostly for transfers.

Janice G. and Barry F. gave me some good info once before and I've finally saved a little cash for this.

I also remember someone mentioning a particular model that uses a pinch roller instead of sprockets, which could be a good idea since my films are so old.

I've looked in the 'For Sale' area but as I said, I don't really know what I'm doing.

Thanks all.

Bill

|  IP: Logged

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2015 07:48 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill:
I don't recall advising you, but if I did, I likely recommended a Sankyo Dualux 2000H. It will do 8mm and Super8 with the throw of a switch. It has a very bright, readily available halogen lamp and high quality lens. It has variable speed via a rheostat. And lastly, it has pinch rollers rather than sprockets with teeth. I believe Janice has at least one of these projectors and speaks highly of them also.

Bill Vendasi
Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2015 08:16 PM      Profile for Bill Vendasi   Email Bill Vendasi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Barry,

I'm looking at one of those on eBay for $200.

Looks pretty good and it appears the lamp is only around $20:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SANKYO-Dualux-2000H-STAND-8mm-Super-8-MOVIE-PROJECTOR-ADJUSTABLE-SPEED-/161854160456?hash=item25af427e48:g:0zMAAOSwsB9WDQSk

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2015 10:04 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a bit on the high side, but his Feedback is good and the belt has been replaced which is good. Also it has been tested with film. Shipping is reasonable. If you can live with the expense, It would be worth a shot. If you get it try to get a User Manual.

Bill Vendasi
Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2015 10:10 PM      Profile for Bill Vendasi   Email Bill Vendasi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm .. so in your opinion what price is more logical?

Also, I'm seeing a few Sankyo Dualux 1000 models, too.

These seem a little cheaper - are they as good?

Vincent Zabbia
Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2015 08:35 AM      Profile for Vincent Zabbia   Author's Homepage   Email Vincent Zabbia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371467535305?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

--------------------
Vincent Zabbia

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2015 09:36 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sankyo 1000 is a good projector but it does not have the newer halogen lamp. It has a 50 watt lamp compared to 100 watt in the 2000H. Also, the CXR which is used in the 1000 is not halogen and is becoming harder to come by and expensive. I would say 125.00 would be a price more in my comfort zone, but as I mentioned, I think 199.00 is a price that should be considered. You do not have a lot of options if you want a machine that will run 8mm and Super 8mm, and do it as well as the 2000H.

Bill Vendasi
Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2015 10:54 AM      Profile for Bill Vendasi   Email Bill Vendasi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Barry.

Derek Anders
Junior

- posted June 11, 2017 07:42 PM      Profile for Derek Anders   Email Derek Anders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I'm new to the forum.
I realize this thread is approx. 2 years old, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if the Sankyo Dualux 1000 uses pinch rollers like the 2000H does?

I just bought a 2000H and was happily surprised that it has pinch rollers instead of sprockets. I even tested with 50 year old film, which I know is very brittle now and the old project just chews up, and was impressed how the 2000H just ran it without any tear up or jitters at all!

So, I'm trying to find another 2000H (or another brand/model that uses pinch rollers) to mod for my Telecine project using Arduino and an HD microscope camera for direct frame-by-frame transfer.

I did see 1 vid on the 1000 version and it's not clear if it uses pinch or sprocket, but if I'm to judge by the sound it makes, it has that sprocket sound to it. The 2000H has a very unique sound.

Thanks in advance for any info.

--------------------
Just a lowly computer technician and electronic gadget designer.

Retiring soon and developing a digitizer for all our very old 8mm and Super 8mm film.

Main projector: Sankyo Dualux 2000-H.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 12, 2017 12:39 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Derek and yes the Sankyo Dualux 1000 is a sprocketless projector just like the 2000H. If you are replacing the lamp system with an LED for transfers then the CXR bulb on the Dualux 1000 won't be an issue.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC