8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 8mm Transfer - Telecine vs. on the Wall

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 8mm Transfer - Telecine vs. on the Wall
Bill Vendasi
Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2015 10:19 AM      Profile for Bill Vendasi   Email Bill Vendasi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I've done a search and found some info but not about exactly what I'm asking.

How much difference in quality is there by using a Telecine unit like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOME-MOVIE-TRANSFER-TELECINE-Convert-Your-8mm-S8-Slides-to-Video-DVD-Digital-/262121380181?hash=item3d07a6d955:m:mFVQov7Nk--Mh1S3Wc9UXHQ

vs. shooting off the wall.

I have a Sankyo 2000H and I'm projecting on a sheet of matte photo paper which looks pretty darn good to me.

Should I bother with getting the Telecine?

Thanks,
Bill

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2015 10:29 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't pay that for what looks like only a back projection system, although a better than average one (I assume the "shatter proof tag would mean it has a metal mirror not glass so no double images). Also saying "Assembled in USA" not made would imply the parts were imported.

I would think the camera and projector would decide the quality either way. As long as the camera and projector you use are close together and used with the maximum distance from the screen parallax errors should be small. I would think a direct telecine, without any screen, would be the only one to make a really noticeable increase in quality over what you are doing now.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2015 10:50 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would stick with the wall. Make certain that the paper you are using is the brightest that you can find. The brightness number can be found on the ream wrapper. A brightness of 96 is good. If the wall you are projecting to is a darker color, pin two thicknesses of paper to the wall so there is not chance of the darker wall color bleeding through the paper.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2015 10:51 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep your money in your pocket, Bill! Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt..... you're on the right track already.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Bill Vendasi
Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2015 11:04 AM      Profile for Bill Vendasi   Email Bill Vendasi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great advice - thanks everyone!

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2015 09:49 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to transfer film using telecine, it's best to use a device that creates an aerial image. A Buhl Multiplexer is best. They are rare.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC