8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Films stored in sealed boxes - a gamble?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Films stored in sealed boxes - a gamble?
Jason Schmidt
Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2015 10:11 PM      Profile for Jason Schmidt   Email Jason Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a film has been stored on a shelf in the original shrink by a collector as memorabilia, is it still a gamble on the colors being faded? Specifically, how do Ken Films from the 70s tend to hold up color-wise?

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if fading happens more or less when the film is in a sealed container and never been opened/watched. Or is it a total crapshoot?

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 09, 2015 09:56 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as your post title says, it can be a bit of a gamble.
Shrink wrapping isn't always airtight, so fading could already happen.
On top of that, if the film has been stored in a room that's not particularly cool and dry, the plastic wrap could act as a cooking wrap with the film suffering from acetate breakdown (i.e. VS, if the stock is acetate).
Most of Ken Films from the 70s tend to fade unfortunately as low-fade stock was only introduced in the early 80s.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2015 10:57 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi! Janson the beter way t store colr films it,s in the colest place you can get.i gt all my color films in a fridge,i got no fade films,even my ken ones,

best:
luis caramelo

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 09, 2015 12:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, risky, let em breathe a little.

Even with my stored films in the fridge, (the non low fade Eastman prints), I regularly open the bags for that very reason. Well, they get pulled out projected anyhow.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 09, 2015 02:48 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume that Funchal is warm all the year round.

--------------------
Maurice

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2015 03:42 PM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
youare right Maurice.this,s tropical climate,with also with some humity,some parts of the Island it.s more hot than others,but like i said before,that.s why i got my color movies in a fridge,they are wraped in aluminium paper and when ,i.ll take them off,24hours,before i running them,not a singleproblem untill now,,,

best;

luis caramelo

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 09, 2015 04:56 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shrink-wrap came along some twenty years ago, I've seen many a box being palmed off as new - Before all that, a film would come cellophaned, and you can instantly tell the difference, as it is light to the touch and the film box will be gem-mint - - As to colors fading, I opened one of my old cellophaned-sealed CASTLE Travelogues and the color was vibrant, as if 1st run - Fading will happen with much exposure, handling and storage - Keep the films in cardboard however, as metal seems to add towards age and odor - Shorty

Jack Cleveland
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2015 06:56 PM      Profile for Jack Cleveland   Email Jack Cleveland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My print of GWTW from Derann was still shrink wrapped when I received it- And the LPP color is gorgeous. A great print, with no color fade.

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2015 08:12 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For both films and vinyl records, it is a crapshoot. I'd rather have a tested film or record in near-mint condition. For records, it's warping that could be an issue. For film, not only color, but other defects -- un-synchronized sound, bad soundtrack, too-light or too-dark printings, etc.

Keep in mind that films never projected need a good lubrication before projecting -- I usually do this for all films I obtain, regardless of used or not.

Some films were never shrink-wrapped when new -- e.g. Blackhawks.

Jason Schmidt
Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2015 08:46 PM      Profile for Jason Schmidt   Email Jason Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you lubricate a film before projecting? What is the product/process to accomplish this?

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2015 05:07 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't shrink wrap need high heat to be applied to shrink it? Not the best treatment for the film inside. Or do people really mean cling film?

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 10, 2015 10:53 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well again, shrink-wrap wasn't used years back, any film came cellophane-sealed (look at your Aurora Model Kits, as example) - I have purchased Cellophaned 8mm Blackhawk shorts (pained me to open them, but when I did, the results were a banquet for the senses) - Two-Guys would have a bargain close-out, all those films had cellophane - Nothing wrong with the latter invention, but sometimes a used film can be "sealed" in this manner and situated as "new", when technically it isn't - ALWAYS clean your films as you would vinyl (not with the same ingredients) - Books, comics, gum cards and yoys have to be dusted and maintained accordingly - So much for Shorty

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC