8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Phooey! (How I ruined my own show!)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Phooey! (How I ruined my own show!)
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 01, 2015 08:59 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was running one of my favorite prints tonight (Not as big a deal as it sounds, I probably have about 50 "favorites"!)

I went about 400 feet into a 600 Foot reel with distortion in the speakers, until I discovered that I'd engaged "surround" on my amp over the weekend. (This feature loves CDs, but seems to have something against film sound tracks.).

The sad part is if I'd paid for the show I'd be entitled to some kind of refund, but being the "management" I basically cheated myself!

These times become less and less about what's on screen and more about turning up the lights and wiggling connectors and snapping switches back and forth until the sound clears up.

-not a great night at the cinema!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2015 10:34 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was afraid you'd ruined the PRINT! (Not that I would know anything about that.) Phew!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 02, 2015 08:32 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if I ruined a print (Particularly this one) I think it would rise well above "Phooey".

I'm thinking something north of (ahem!) "Oh Manure!",

-perhaps even (ahem!) "Copulation!!!"

("Only I didn't say 'fudge'!")

I'm not easily given to foul language, but there certainly comes a time to roll out the major artillery!

-but the lesson learned here is you build an audio system that probably has about twenty controls on it, the odds of one being set wrong is much bigger.

-this doesn't happen when all you have is "Volume" and "Tone"!

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2015 02:52 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found that my amp did that when playing mini-discs if it was switched to surround. I thought it may have been phase differences between channels.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 03, 2015 12:10 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That reminds me of my worst super 8 mistake!

twenty or so years ago, I picked up a brand new SEARS brand projector (actually I think it was a "soundstar", in the box, so I didn't anything bad could possibly happen ...

(now I know folks, stop groaning, I didn't know any better at the time!)

... I put on a never run print of "The Band Concert" (Disney, color sound), after all, new projector, new print.

After I ran it, I decided to look at the print off of a projector with a little lense I had ....

There was an enormous scratch that zig-zagged throughout the whole run of the print. I was never so pissed!!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 03, 2015 01:05 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-did you say "Fudge!!!"?

--------------------

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2015 03:59 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, projectors may do a bad number to prints, but I've known people whose polyester prints got revenge by ruining people's projectors, destroying the claw and sometimes more. It's a constant battle between film and machine for world domination.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 07, 2015 04:40 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im sticking to my ancient but brilliant pioneer stereo amp. [Big Grin]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 08, 2015 01:21 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve

I could write a book on the things that went wrong in the 12 years at the cinema. In the early days we had a projectionist who spliced the last two reels of a feature he made up...up- side down when he loaded it onto the platter, he then screened the film to the public [Eek!]

The manager went nuts with him and rightly so [Smile] the guy was an idiot and we soon got rid of him [Big Grin]

Come to think about it [Roll Eyes] I don't think I have ever made a mistake [Wink] [Big Grin]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC