8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Kodak Super8 - The Digital Analog Hybrid Camera

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kodak Super8 - The Digital Analog Hybrid Camera
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 16, 2016 04:41 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a nice video explaining many of the features of Kodak's new Super8mm camera and the film processing. It has a very modern design that may attract a new generation of film users.

https://youtu.be/Slj1NifipxY

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2016 05:15 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's truly amazing to see this come back!
Here is another one worth watching as well Janice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Iba3_Qolk

This interviews Jeff Clarke, Ceo of Kodak, and seems to answer many other questions....
He mentions that these cartridges will be the 'same' as the retro ones, which is great to hear.
Also, he doesn't say for sure, but i can't help but think that they are ahead of the game in planning a magnetic strip right in this camera, along with capturing the digital....The interview just seems to say that to me.
Can you imagine....filming and playing a magnetic sound home video in 2016!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 16, 2016 05:35 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's already a thread about it. With a recent CES Video.
You'll find more details there.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 16, 2016 06:14 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mathew, the new Kodak camera is not designed for sound cartridges (which are a larger than the silent ones). The sound will be recorded on a card (tat's an improvment for many super 8 users who never had access to sound). Future sound cameras or prestriped cartridges may come in case of a massive success but it's too early to know how the market will respond. Just enjoy the new that super 8 is coming back.

--------------------
Dominique

Jerome Sutter
Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2016 11:30 AM      Profile for Jerome Sutter   Email Jerome Sutter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My question about the sound: Does the cartridge come stripped for sound? In other words, you cannot record on the strip but at the lab, the recording is put on the film. Or do you get a new print made with a sound track, and you also get back the negative film and a positive print? There is still a lot of questions to be answered.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 17, 2016 12:02 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the time being, sound is recorded on the SD card.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2016 09:49 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx for that info Dominique. I didn't know that, the video(s) are vague on that point...
I am just happy to think one can record in 2016 and play it through my projectors. Amazing.
I am sure mag sound stripping will follow if it takes off as planned....
Fingers crossed!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC