8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Planning a show

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Planning a show
Jason Schmidt
Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2016 08:40 AM      Profile for Jason Schmidt   Email Jason Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the news that this would probably be a go the other night, so I thought I'd share on here.

So I was able to convince the leaders of my church's youth group to let me run with planning a film night to fundraise for their year end trip. Well I had initially planned for a small group of around 30 people, but after hearing the idea the team wants to really make a go of it and do it right, so are now hoping for 75-100 people. So all of a sudden there's a lot more pressure. We'll be charging people for the popcorn and showing the film for free to get around any copyright issues - we do have a media license that allows us to show pretty much anything so that is solved. Looks like we'll run it in late February or March.

I haven't decided for sure if we'll do two screens (one for adults and one for children), but we do have two separate large areas to accommodate that. I'll be running between the two rooms and hopefully will have a couple of competent helpers. The plan is to rent a proper popcorn machine and have the youth act as ushers and counter staff. I'll be bringing a spare bulb for each projector.

As for the show, I'm shooting for roughly 1.5 - 2 hours including reel changes.

For the adults:
-Start with a Merry Melodies short, possibly Jet Cage Tweety.
-Second is up in the air, I'm torn between a Laurel and Hardy, Star Wars 17 min, Raiders of the Lost Ark 17 min (german sound, but could make sub title cue cards), Invisible Man digest, or more cartoons.
-Feature will be the 3x400 Ben Hur digest. I'm thinking of showing the youtube clips of the overture and entr'acte during reel changes to add to the experience.
-That should be around 2 hours give or take.

For children:
Not sure the order, I might have to invest in a splicer to make some longer reels.
-Merry Melodies x 2
-Star Wars 17 min
-Snow White "Whistle While You Work" song
-Yogi Bear - Bear on a picnic
-Disney, Three Caballeros and Goofy's Gags
-Daffy the Commando
-Singing in the Rain 17 min (on the fence on this, my kids really like "Make em Laugh" and ask for it often, but some of the others might not appeal)
-Laurel and Hardy, also on the fence on this, not sure if kids would appreciate it

What do you guys think? Do you think modern audience will be ok without seeing a full length feature? I personally think they'll get a kick out of seeing a variety of films. I also don't know about the two screens, certainly if I limited it to one that would make changeovers easier as I could use both machines.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 20, 2016 08:49 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest the show for the children is reduced in length. Children have a short span.
When I did childrens' parties I kept to 30 minutes. Longer than that, they suddenly decided, all at the same time, to go to the toilet!!

--------------------
Maurice

Jason Schmidt
Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2016 09:16 AM      Profile for Jason Schmidt   Email Jason Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the children's show will be 1.5 hrs at the longest, probably closer to 1hr. The only issue then is what to do with them while the adults are watching their show. Some of the older ones could certainly just come watch with the adults, and have some of the youth group do some child minding with the younger ones.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 20, 2016 10:42 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done a number of film shows (cartoons) for our Sunday School and other shows for general groups.

One thing I can tell you to begin with is if you have popcorn and children you will also need a broom, a dustpan and a vacuum cleaner! The carpet in the youth room looked like there had been a snow storm.

I've stuck with an hour maximum end to end, especially with kids. I'm not even 100% sure where I got that number (average bladder capacity?), but it just works.

You should probably try the rooms out first. Acoustics does some amazing things. I've been in rooms that the walls just absorbed the sound and you couldn't be loud if you screamed until your throat got sore, yet once I did a Little Rascals reel for the Cub Scouts in a school cafeteria and with all those hard tiled surfaces even the 5 watt amp and little round speaker built into the projector did just fine. It saved me from needing to drag along the sound system: less to go wrong, less to get lost or damaged or trampled by a bunch of sugared-up Cub Scouts! (-they can be like a herd of Buffalo in full stampede!)

For the 20th anniversary of Toy Story last November, I did a small show at the house for some friends. I did go full feature, and I revived that ancient ritual of the intermission between the second and third reel too!

I also think the best plans are usually the simpler ones.

-Try to keep your own stress down: remember that YOU should enjoy it too!

[ January 20, 2016, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jason Schmidt
Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2016 12:18 PM      Profile for Jason Schmidt   Email Jason Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried the rooms out - I'll actually have access to a full sound system in each that I can output to, the sound sounded great when I tested it. I'll also be able to use a proper wireless mic to talk during the show as needed to introduce things.

As for the mess, the kids show will be in a room with a solid floor, so clean up should be easy enough.

Regarding the length, wouldn't people be disappointed if it was only 30 minutes or an hour? I'm planning to start the show at 6:30 for the cartoon and short, and then the 3x400 Ben Hur at about 7.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 20, 2016 12:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve advice on keeping it simple is spot on, you want to enjoy the show as well [Smile]

I remember being asked to put on a film show at a city pub [Eek!] for the ambulance service. The idea was the adults could do there thing, while the film show in another area would occupy the kids. I ran mostly 200 footers on a couple of 800ft reels. Tom and Jerry cartoons mixed with Disney shorts.

Well, what happened, the kids were having a really good time "loud" the adults slowly drifted back in to join the kids and watched the films as well. [Smile]

What I used to do prior to any film show like that, was to watch it myself a day or so before. The idea was to check that I had the right mix of films, in the right order for a fun and fast show. If a included short seemed to slow things down, then I would remove it. I was always trying to get the "pace just right" [Smile]

Oh! If you are using extension speaker cables, make sure they cant trip over them. Tie them to leg of a heavy table or something just in case, its better wee Johnny goes flying instead, than your projector and stand comes crashing down...anyway have fun [Wink]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 20, 2016 01:27 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An hour is my rule of thumb, then again everybody has different thumbs, so different rules are understandable. It's also worth saying that I'd bust the rule if it makes sense.

The hour is a maximum, but also not too different from the minimum either. I do 30 minutes at the house for just us all the time, but I wouldn't expect people to travel just to see a 30 minute show and feel it was worthwhile too.

There's a second rule of thumb (other thumbs than mine this time...) that you should probably leave 'em wanting more.

You also need to be careful with kids. These days they are very overstimulated and it's tough for them to concentrate on an activity very long. This goes double when they are very young.

My own kid watches TV while he's playing games on his Ipad. -the attention span of a hummingbird!

We do these shows at CineSea that start not too long after sunset and basically end when the last projectionist dies of exhaustion! I think the record is something like 1:30AM.

-but that's different, everybody there is a film freak and we really can't get enough!

--------------------

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2016 08:30 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Laurel and Hardy titles do you have in mind?

Jason Schmidt
Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2016 09:12 PM      Profile for Jason Schmidt   Email Jason Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking "Putting Pants on Phillip". Might be a bit mature themed for kids, well sort of anyway. I think I'll stick to cartoons and star wars for the kids.

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2016 10:16 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That one is not typical L&H, and it's silent, which may bore the kids.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 21, 2016 08:45 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even black and white is pushing it with kids, although if the content is good they quickly forget about that.

-and no, a tale of a horny Scotsman is not good Sunday School material!

In a sense, this one is more Laurel with Hardy then Laurel and Hardy: they hadn't become "themselves" just yet.

I love showing kids Our Gang. The joy of it is the little kids in the stories are from their great-grandparents time and most have never heard of them.

-everything old is new!

(O-tay!!!!)

--------------------

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2016 03:48 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, a 10 minute Our Gang with Spanky and Alfalfa should go over well.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 21, 2016 07:12 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it shouldn't be this way, but I can tell you that you have to be really careful about showing some of the Little Rascals movies to unknown audiences, since many of them are now deemed as politically incorrect, depicting black children in a somewhat demeaning and 1940's stereotypical way. Same way with Tom and Jerry films, make sure they do not include the black housewife. I did a film show at a school last week, and I was specifically asked if there were any such issues in my program.
It is easy for a film showman to dismiss such issues, but in todays more enlightened world, they are real, and the last thing you want to do is upset any members of your audience.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 21, 2016 07:34 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
A show should,imho,last as long as it takes.
Just as in the cinema.

A feature lasts as long as it lasts as does a short.

If it takes two hours of total mesmerized concentration,
Then so be it!!!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 21, 2016 07:49 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A five year old can manage two hours of concentration...

-divided up over a month.

I agree, Paul

You have to pick and choose with the Rascals.

-A lot of them were way ahead of their time in the way they showed kids of different races interacting as equals.

-a lot of the others...not so much!

You just can't let this catch you by surprise on screen!

("Ohhhh!....that!")

I'd like to see people's reactions to "Symphony Hour": stuffed to the gills with ethnic stereotypes, and it's not too often you see Mickey Mouse threaten somebody with a gun! (-Yosemite Sam style!)

--------------------

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 04:17 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
King World prints of Our Gang, albeit in 16mm, edited out all the offensive stuff, and didn't print some titles at all.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2016 06:52 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone has good advice. Here's one more. I'd stay away from the German language film. Maybe someone on the forum can loan you a print of that subject with an English track. Also, I'd stay away from silent films, especially for kids. Sometimes a weird silent short WITH GOOD MUSIC/EFFECTS TRACK goes over well with adults, though.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2016 01:08 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the Our Gang/Little Rascals shorts have held up very well with kids today, especially the one-reelers from 1936-1938 (although I prefer the older ones). One or two of these will do very well in your show. Also quite a few of the Disney shorts (Match of the Century from Bedknobs & Broomsticks extract). Tom & Jerry and Tex Avery toons work well with today's kids as well.

If this show goes over really well, you can "push the envelope" a little, maybe throw in a L & H or two-reel Our Gang. This will help them appreciate the old classics better.

And, excellent advice Paul- Make SURE there are no offensive scenes, as they do tend to creep up unsuspectedly some times [Wink] .

Good luck to you sir!

P.S.- Anything from the old Ken "Star Wars", "Empire..." extracts are good too. oh, and "Superman".....etc.

James.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC