8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Did Derann ever disapoint you? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Did Derann ever disapoint you?
Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2016 08:27 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pulled out and watched my copy of THE SEA HAWK, another 2-parter. Picture quality is a little better than THE MALTESE FALCON, but not as good as it should be -- so Derann disappointed me a little with this one, too. One good thing, though, is that all the scenes are in the right order. Bad thing -- the narrative doesn't flow that well. You really need to be familiar with the full-length movie to know what is really going on.

I've also noticed that these Derann B&W digests don't run that smoothly through the projector -- the image jitters up-and-down a bit, even after a cleaning with Film Renew. Was there something unusual about their film stock?

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 11, 2016 09:17 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That will be your projector running Polyester not a film stock fault 9 times out 10.

Make appropriate adjustments to fix.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2016 09:21 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,

How do I know if it's polyester, and what do I need to do to adjust?

Thanks

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 11, 2016 09:25 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's later Derann, almost certainly it's polyester.

Acetate is far more "forgiving" through the gate of most mal aligned projectors because it's simply twice as thick.

Bear this in mind when you next service your machine.
It is always about depth of penetration for any of these traits regarding S8.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2016 03:30 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only 2 ways I know to tell if it is polyester are 1. Film cement won't join it 2. It won't easily tear it just stretches (try on off-cut of leader/run out only).

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2016 03:52 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks -- are those Warner Brothers B&W classics later or early Derann?

-------------

Update: it tears, so it's acetate.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2016 05:57 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they started about 1977/8 but were still being printed in 1990 (they were in that catalogue but not all in the 1987 one), so they probably printed on both stocks over the years. The early ones were in the big "clamshell" cases, I'm not sure how long they lasted.

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2016 03:29 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, 2 of the 3 I have are in clamshells. The other came on an 800 foot reel w/o original boxes.

Marc Marti
Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2016 10:28 AM      Profile for Marc Marti   Email Marc Marti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Point your reel to a light source. If it's opaque is acetate. It it's translucid it's almost surely Polyester.

--------------------
Marc

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC