8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » CineSea 13 April 30th! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: CineSea 13 April 30th!
Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 07, 2016 12:48 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a reminder that our 13th CineSea Film Collectors Show is coming up. The popular Friday Night Feature screening will take place on April 29th and the full day/night event is on Saturday, April 30th.

CineSea is a weekend full of film. A weekend packed with talking about, watching, buying, selling, trading film and film equipment in gauges from 8mm to 35mm. The Saturday show starts at 10 AM and the sound of multiple projectors running will not stop till we head out for an early group dinner. Upon our return, the Saturday night screening starts (Super 8mm & 16mm….bring what you'd like to show, just keep it under 20 minutes please!) and last time we wrapped after 2 AM.

If you have film or equipment to sell, 6 foot dealer tables are available for $20. You can rent as many as you like. Lou Franchetti will be there with stacks of 8mm and 16mm. To reserve a table you can email/PM me or Lou. We approached our table limit at CineSea 12, so please reserve soon.

We will soon be choosing the feature for the Friday night screening. if you're coming to the convention and have a print you'd like to show, please list the title/format here and we'll have an online survey to pick the winner. The previous feature was Shorty Caruso's Super 8mm print of Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein. It looked great on the big screen!

A huge plus is our location. We have a beautiful beach right across the street. You can stroll along the boardwak and the seaside amusement park Mariner's Pier will be open on Saturday from noon till 10 PM.

The show gets better every time, and I have to thank John Black and Shorty Caruso, who started CineSea with the idea that the film collector deserves an affordable show to promote camaraderie and to keep this hobby going!

Please make your reservations soon at:

The Ocean Holiday Resort
6501 Ocean Avenue
Wildwood Crest, NJ 08260
609-729-2900 (mention "Film Show" to receive special rate of $65.00 per room)
Reserve early to get Oceanfront rooms with private balconies!

CineSea 13 details:

April 29th, Friday Evening: Time TBA
Early dinner, Friday Night Feature Screening
Admission: Free

April 30th, Saturday
Hours: 10 AM – 5:30 PM, dinner break, continuous screenings late into the night.
Admission: $5.00, free to those who are staying at the Ocean Holiday.

Directions:
From North; Garden State Parkway to Exit 4, follow Rio Grande Ave to end. Right on Ocean Ave. Follow to Ocean Holiday on left 6501 Ocean Ave. From West and South;Rt 76 (east) or Rt 95 (north) to Walt Whitman Bridge. Follow Rt. 42 to Atlantic City Expressway. Take Exit 7 (Garden St Parkway South) Follow same as north.

Past Events:
Claus Harding's pictures from CineSea 12
Todd Tuckey's CineSea 12 YouTube video
Claus' pictures from CineSea 11 & CineSea X
CineSea 9, CineSea 9 (2). There's also the CineSea 6 Video, and Claus' CineSea 5 trailer.

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 07, 2016 02:04 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now you're talking!

This is kind of a cruddy time of the year: we are working on our third snow storm and the snow on the ground is getting kind of gray...

It's good to have CineSea to look forward to!

-something other than a snow shovel to prop you up for the next few weeks!

We always try to encourage new people to join in. It's very easy to fit in here: if you speak film and you walk into that room, you can be just as much a part of the gang as somebody who's been there every time from the first.

Yet they say half of life is just showing up!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 07, 2016 04:53 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I encourage and invite all our film aficionados, both here and abroad - We could all learn so much about our respective shows from Blackpool and world-wide, while basking in the glow of motion pictures - Please join us - Cheers from Shorty

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2016 05:44 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`m going to try and make it from Japan for this event. If anyone has any film/equipment they want to get from Japan let me know.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 07, 2016 05:59 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's fantastic, Jason !

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 07, 2016 06:33 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our reigning Distance Champion is Paul Oscar who attended from Iceland...twice!

Jason, you stand to take the title!

Guy Taylor deserves eternal Honorable Mention for driving from Texas. He enjoys the trip, which makes CineSea either the cake or the icing!

--------------------

Jack Cleveland
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2016 07:57 PM      Profile for Jack Cleveland   Email Jack Cleveland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can hardly wait!

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 07, 2016 10:08 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Jason,
Any Godzilla with good color on Super 8 you can bring? Or Ultraman, Kamen Rider, you know..Kaiju stuff!
So If can make it this time...fingers crossed...might be in Hawaii-or Vegas....and I had to choose a day, hows Friday? or would showing up Saturday at 3pm be better?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 07, 2016 10:26 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Friday is good, but it's mainly Friday Dinner and the Friday Night Feature, so it's a short day, and late. Early in the day is still nice, but it's quiet while most are still arriving.

Saturday runs all the way from Breakfast until two or three are (just barely) standing around a projector watching the last reel end, often past 1:00AM!

After 3 on Saturday you get a couple of hours of the convention, Saturday Dinner and the Saturday night film show.

-not bad, really...

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 08, 2016 09:04 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sunday is still active for a while, even though we are wrapping, films can still be seen, deals made and laughter heard throughout - Shorty

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2016 10:52 AM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait! My first convention, and I hope to be there Friday through Sunday

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2016 12:50 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to try to make the one in October later this year. For those of you on the fence, attend! It is so much fun.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Louis Franchetti
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2016 01:44 PM      Profile for Louis Franchetti   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Franchetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see there is going to be some new faces everyone's welcome you will have a great time and hope to see you soon.

--------------------
Louis Franchetti

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2016 04:57 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Any Godzilla with good color on Super 8 you can bring? Or Ultraman, Kamen Rider, you know..Kaiju stuff!
Godzilla or any Kaiju related films are hard to find but I"ll see what I can find in the next two months. I think I can find Ultraman and Kamen Rider on 8mm.

I'm looking forward to this event!

Joe Vannicola
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2016 06:25 PM      Profile for Joe Vannicola   Email Joe Vannicola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be there or be square. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Joe

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2016 07:01 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinesea meetings are my favorite weekends of the year. But Evan, you should know this is not exactly a convention. Not like the Columbus Cinevent or any of the monster conventions. It's more like a gathering of friends with similar interests. There is a LOT of buying, selling swapping and screening of films...lots of talk about machines and collecting..etc.

There's no schedule of films that will be screened...no separate screening room.....actually....no room at all. It's a charming venue....a parking lot/loading dock area with one side open to the beach ...so bring a jacket. It can be a little cool and breezy....but all around this "room" are collectors at their sales tables(you can have a sales table of your own for only $20 dollars) ...piles of films ...7 to 9 projectors going at once. A happy cacophony of talk, film soundtracks, projector mechanisms. On Saturday evening we all stop and go out to eat and then come back to watch films on the big screen that Doug brings...a mix of 16mm and Super 8....and that goes until 1 or 2am. Sunday, some go to breakfast at the delightful 50's style diner just a block and a half away. Then some frantic sales and swaps and packing up with sad goodbyes until the next Cinesea six months in the future. Usually there are about 20 or 25 collectors plus sometimes family members.
I come early..on Thursday afternoon...to enjoy walks along the Oceanside boardwalk.
The hotel people, including the owner, make us welcome. These rooms are mostly suites with full size kitchens..for only 65 dollars a night.
All together, a charming weekend that feels like it's only been a few hours. Can't beat it if you are into film collecting. No videos...no dvd's....just piles of acetate, polyester and the occasional smell of vinegar.
If you have interesting films to share..especially shorts...you should bring them to run on our Saturday evening marathon screening. If you want to sell films, you can either get a table or just do as I did the first time I came--bring a list and a car trunk full of films.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 10, 2016 09:18 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Importantly also, you will all initiate strong-bonded friendships forever - If they put up with me, they will with anyone [Smile] - Shorty

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2016 06:11 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to attend one someday but Ohio is a bit of a clip from NJ. Are there any similar events held here? I live near Cincinnati.I'm more active now as I'm focusing on 16 mm films and gear.

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2016 03:01 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads up Gary!

This actually sounds much better than a monster convention (although those also sound like a lot of fun)

I'm only beginning my collection so maybe I can hunt down a few titles in Super 8 or 16 I am hoping to find, as well as a nice GS1200 minus the killer shipping prices. Only time will tell =)

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 11, 2016 03:22 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are always a lot of films there. I don't think I've ever bought every film that I liked. (Save some for next time!)

Equipment?...some...although I've never seen a GS for sale at CineSea. (There are usually a few on duty, though...)

This is a very informal, friendly event. It is comfortable clothes, interesting conversation and absolutely nobody sitting at a table trying to plaster a name tag on your shirt. (Do introduce yourself!)

There's aspects of it beyond the room with all the films and projectors. We go out to eat usually two breakfasts and two dinners. It gives people a chance to break bread and get to know each other.

-makes for interesting interactions too. One time about 4 years back we were sitting at this nice seafood place and the other table broke into this heated discussion of which 16mm machine is the best.

What was wonderful about it was looking at the expressions on the rest of the people at the restaurant!

(I think the word is "bemused"!)

Something else nice is having the beach literally a couple of hundred feet from the gathering. I never get all the way through the weekend without taking a walk down to the Atlantic.

Wildwood itself is usually in the middle of some special weekend or other. So you might arrive in the middle of a marching band festival or 50s or 60s weekend. The place is usually crawling with classic cars too. It's worth taking some time up the boardwalk to see what's up.

Something nobody has ever mentioned is the sound. We have some "soundies" among us and here is some pretty industrial audio equipment on duty Friday and Saturday night. What's wild is you leave the room to go upstairs and you hear CineSea's soundtracks reverberating in the canyon between the hotels.

Super-8 and 16mm sound gone public! Where else will you ever hear that?!

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 11, 2016 04:00 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds amazing Steve and let's hope when Kodak and Ferannia finally release their magical products, some of all this, including the Atlantic and the beach, the fanfare of the marching bands and classic cars not to mention those pro sound systems, can be captured forever on film one day, for us all to enjoy!

Take some very big binoculars, look out to the ocean,you may just see one or two of Brits looking on from our shoreline! [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 11, 2016 04:02 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve...2 Breakfeasts and 2 Dinners? How hungry does the convention make you?? [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 11, 2016 04:07 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
A nice glass or two of a decent Merlot in the evenings I hope!

I think I've had my fill of Grits from my time there Ha ha.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 11, 2016 04:17 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,

The official CineSea is one long Saturday: one breakfast, one dinner. (Lunch is up to you!)

Unofficially it begins Friday (one more dinner) and ends Sunday (one more breakfast).

Bearing in mind too: the hotel rooms have kitchens and if you want to stay back and cook something for yourself you can do this too.

I've had the rooms with balconies once or twice. Once I made a nice beef stew over egg noodles and had it with a glass of port with the ocean sounds coming through the patio doors.

-also very nice!

I don't think I'd ever miss breakfast out. Very often we go to a café at one of the other hotels on Ocean Avenue. When that happens, breakfast starts with a nice walk up the boardwalk. It's that great breakfast food your cardiologist warned you about: bacon, eggs, pancakes, waffles. The coffee flows hot and rich.

-You can enjoy it guilt free because of the certainty the walk there and back burned all the calories!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 11, 2016 04:37 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds so nice. Being in a hotel far away from civilisation with people who have just one idea : put a projector on and screen films. What could you dream better ?

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC