8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Did Derann ever release these?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did Derann ever release these?
Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2016 07:48 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did Derann ever release the following Warner Brothers classics, either full-length or in digest form:

PUBLIC ENEMY
WHITE HEAT
TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE
KEY LARGO
DARK PASSAGE
CAPTAIN BLOOD

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2016 08:38 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann did release Captain Blood as a two 400ft digest. The first digest covers the entire movie.

The second digest covers the rescue of the damsel in distress and the final naval battle.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2016 08:41 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Captain Blood as a 2 - part digest and Key Largo as a single 400' digest. Neither was ever released full length by Derann nor any other vendor that I've ever seen.

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2016 06:20 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks -- so the others weren't release at all?

I have THE MALTESE FALCON 2-parter, but when I bought it used, it was already re-edited on an 800 foot reel. Judging by the splices, it is obvious that the 2 parts were independent and had to be cut up to re-arrange the scenes back into correct order.

I also have THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON and THE SEAHAWK, but in those cases you simply have to join the 2 reels to get a 40 minute digest.

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2016 03:18 AM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about the other digests you asked about.

Another Derann digest I have is The Adventures of Robin Hood. It stars Errol Flynn and is a 3x400ft digest. It was Warner Brothers first movie that utilized the Technicolor process. Unfortunately, this was released by Derann before they started using low fade film.

Joseph, I wasn't sure if you had the original Derann box for The Maltese Falcon so I've attached a picture of all of my WB digests to show you what box art looked like.

-

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2016 05:02 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow that's awsome [Smile]

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2016 06:22 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If memory serves "White Heat" & "Public Enemy" were released by the Italian distributor i.e. international, in English as a 3x400' mini feature, pretty good quality, although the syncing was a little 'rubbery' at times, most probably in the master material used.

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2016 07:52 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think it was little caesar and public enemy.

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2016 05:17 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, all.

I'm fortunate enough to have ROBIN HOOD full length from Red Fox in excellent color.

Nice to see the OBs for FALCON. Roughly, how did they divide the scenes between the two parts? As I said, mine was already edited into the correct sequence, and there are lots of splices.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2016 09:36 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul you're absolutely right, it's just so long since I've seen a print of either title that the mind wanders.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2016 12:31 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I managed to get the 3X400 "Little Caesar" recently on ebay.It's wonderful that so many of these releases are still out there somewhere.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC