8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Carry On Screaming 3 or 4 x 600' ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Carry On Screaming 3 or 4 x 600' ?
Jim Bishop
Junior

- posted February 17, 2016 05:05 PM      Profile for Jim Bishop   Email Jim Bishop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone. For years now I've had a print of Carry On Screaming on 3 x 600' and assumed it was complete, but on recent viewing it appears to be missing exactly one reel's worth of the movie ('reel 3' as such). Does anyone know for sure & is there a way to confirm the original release format, please? Many thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 17, 2016 05:07 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the original way it was spooled Jim when released?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2016 05:16 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, I believe the deal with rank on the carry on films with Derann was that they were 15 mins short of the original film, as no deal. There is one on Ebay at the moment, and this will confirm this. My favourite carry on.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2016 11:53 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Carry on Screaming" was actually F/L, but not sure how many reels on 8mm.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2016 02:48 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this one and I am pretty sure that it came on 4 not very full 600ft reels but I have, like "Scars of Dracula", managed to fit it onto three to save some storage space. I imagine it depended on the negative, some were short per reel and 2 reels made an under capacity 600ft Super 8 print.
As IMDB shows it having a running time of 1hr 37 minutes this sounds very feasible.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2016 06:46 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm confused ?.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 18, 2016 07:29 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it anything to do with this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARRY-ON-SCREAMING-Super-8-feature-3-x-600-colour-sound-partly-flawed-/131724941067?hash=item1eab6b170b:g:efQAAOSwQYZWu7FV

This film was released as a complete feature,

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2016 03:50 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carry on Screaming was released full length 4x 600 by Derann.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2016 03:33 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I have found it as 4x600 ft in their catalogue, but as I said it can be fitted onto three 600 ft reels if cut and spliced. Sorry if my first post wasn't clear about that.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2016 09:54 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this is getting frustrating! Looks like another film I won't get to bid on because of the seller ending the auction early...or did I misread the auction time? [Frown]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Jim Bishop
Junior

- posted February 22, 2016 06:14 PM      Profile for Jim Bishop   Email Jim Bishop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone. Sorry for my late response and thanks for all your replies. I'm not going to be very popular, but that was my listing. And it became 100% obvious when I found the DVD and watched it that my copy was missing an entire reel. I took it down because Ebay won't allow re-wording, so I found myself suddenly going from being a guesser to a liar and had to cancel it altogether. Existing bidders understandably go mad when you take things down, so the fair thing was to offer it to the highest bidder at a cut-down rate, giving it away basically. ANYway, the outcome is, it was definitely on 4 x 600'. Thanks again.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 22, 2016 06:59 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I both admire and congratulate your honesty here Jim.

Many should take note who have been in this game for far longer!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 23, 2016 12:28 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My print is on two very full 800ft reels but it's not missing anything.
I'm guessing the Derann 4x600ft reels weren't full? Is this correct?

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2016 03:27 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct.
Derran's catalogue stated "Spool size does not denote the exact length of film, as this may vary according to material used or content".

George Seaton
Junior

- posted May 18, 2016 12:26 PM      Profile for George Seaton   Email George Seaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the 4 x 600' Derann print and it is complete. I believe there were a few incomplete prints struck in error (reel 3 was missed out) which Derann sold as a 'abridged feature' at a reduced price so there are 3 and 4 x 600' 8mm versions out there.

'Screaming' was the last of the Anglo Amalgamated Carry Ons(number 12 in the series) and the distribution rights were held by Warner Brothers when it was issued on Super 8mm. As such it was nothing to do with the deal Derann had with Rank.

--------------------
George

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2016 03:27 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm after this complete feature. If anyone wants to sell, please PM or e-mail me. Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC