8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » EFR Bulb Won't Fit in Elmo ST1200HD (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: EFR Bulb Won't Fit in Elmo ST1200HD
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 01, 2016 07:33 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
There we go then once again ha ha ha.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2016 08:20 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that is a good idea Janice, especially if you like it brighter. On my ST1200HD, I have never gone to the brighter setting because i find mine very bright as is, and when i turn on higher setting it is almost blinding to my eyes... I would like to try the Osram one day, but the way these bulbs are lasting, it may be years for me... [Smile] Glad you found something!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 02, 2016 06:12 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received the Osram EFR bulb from Bulb America today. It's PERFECTAMUNDO!!! [Smile] Fit like a glove... nice and bright [Smile] Thanks everyone for the feedback.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 02, 2016 07:43 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You are more than welcome Janice!!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 02, 2016 08:08 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually use the brighter setting because the bulbs are cheap and life is short.

-but I do think it makes life a little harder on the pins and socket contacts.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 02, 2016 08:25 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
With a new or decent lampholder, you need fear not. I NEVER use my pj on low lamp setting, and since I've changed every lampholder i possess on every machine I own, I've never encountered a problem thus far.

If lampholder is good, so are your lamps!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 02, 2016 08:34 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem you run into is since these are low voltage bulbs, you pull some serious current to get the power, so the pins are running at or close to the limit.

-you are right though: I replaced a cheap socket I fried in less than a year with an agency rated one and haven't had a bit of trouble since.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 02, 2016 08:52 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Steve! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

Bender & Wirth....accept nothing less!

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 02, 2016 09:48 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I usually use the brighter setting because the bulbs are cheap and life is short.
I just love Steve's outlook on life! [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 02, 2016 10:02 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-and on my birthday I'm finding that green "ECO" button on my dashboard and spending the day with it OFF!

Party!
Party!
Party!

(Not completely sure it's even connected to anything!)

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 02, 2016 10:06 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Steve, I am in awe of your reckless behavior!
Time to project a print of Emmanuelle on the side of your neighbor's house! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 03, 2016 07:59 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like it better if instead of a green button that says "ECON", Honda had chosen a red button that says "SPORT".

-it can do the exact same thing, just when you push it I want the dashboard lighting to change to red and maybe automatically start "Ride of the Valkyries" on the stereo (Is this too German for a Japanese car? BMW, VW, Mercedes of course, but a Honda?!!)

-but then again if it really was set up like this I probably wouldn't have taken 3 years to push that button!

Maybe the ST-1200 can have a "sport mode" too!

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 05, 2016 02:47 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So nice to have my Elmo projecting again. Last night I watched a nice little digest I bought from Doug Warren.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003485;p=190#004755

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 05, 2016 06:57 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you finally saw the light, Janice! [Wink]

Here's a promise kept:

-

It's nothing much: I just took the old pincer socket out and put in a new slide-on one. The existing framework holds everything in place.

Bulb changes are a little bit more awkward, but should be worth it.

--------------------

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2016 07:07 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice,
Just saw your post and I always purchased my lamps for my ST-1200HD from a company called www.replacementlightbulbs.com
They carry all the lamps for the ST-1200
I like the Donar brand and the Osram & Philips which they always have in stock.

I was also under the impression that you should get the lamp that has the nib or notch at the top of the rim so that it locks it in place and keeps the bulb from turning. Is this true?

Good luck!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 10, 2016 10:16 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are good,

I get my replacement sockets there too.

What's nice about them is there is actually a warm body there to discuss troubles you are having and help you make things right instead of just buying more of the wrong stuff and having the same problems.

I ask Replacement Light Bulbs to check stock to see if the bulbs have the lugs or not. It's kind of futile since I need the bulbs anyway and I can use them even without it.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 10, 2016 11:29 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Roger, I don't believe the lug was ever designed to stop it from turning, after all..how can it??

It was just used to aid the lamp to always be fitted in its correct orientation I believe.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 10, 2016 11:58 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen cases where if it's not there the lamp can drift sideways just a few millimeters and one edge of the reflector actually dips into the round cutout in the mount.

-this means the lamp is now off axis and the light isn't aimed directly through the aperture.

Things suddenly dim a whole lot!

There is a notch in the lamp mount that the lug locks into and keeps this from happening. When it's not there I have to put in a Ty-Rap to hold it in place, but now I need to carry Ty-raps and wire cutters in case I need to change a lamp on the road.

--------------------

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2018 06:45 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to report on the Donar bulbs i bought back in march 2016 as per this thread.....I buy in pairs and my second one burned out last night.... so that is pretty good i think, 2 years. That is a bulb a year and i use it alot!
Regardless, I am trying the osrams these days and bought 2 osrams yesterday from bulbamerica as Janice. I am excited for 10% brighter views so we wait in anticipation!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 23, 2018 02:57 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a modified lamp holder that was done for my 1200HD some time ago, this one is a modification to the original and works so well, the socket being easy to get to for any replacement in the future. [Wink]
 -

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC