8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Some nice prints on eBay Italy but...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some nice prints on eBay Italy but...
Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2016 09:23 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... seems the seller knows nothing about them. Could all be faded to heck. http://www.ebay.it/sch/libera_71/m.html?item=111924842961&hash=item1a0f3d91d1%3Ag%3ArXEAAOSwP~tW2Hjq&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 08, 2016 11:31 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sadly, in most cases, they are faded, as almost all of these Italian features (especially the Disney's) were printed on fadey Eastman stock.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 08, 2016 02:19 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just the fading stock issue either with many of these prints, they are also very dupey in many cases.
Nothing like the quality Derann put out from the actual Disney negatives.
Soft focus issues and very grainy in many examples I've seen.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2016 03:15 PM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the pinnichio one terrible quality can't wait to get my hands on a derann copy but I can dream ha ha

Jason Schmidt
Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2016 04:34 PM      Profile for Jason Schmidt   Email Jason Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these italian releases of american films typically dubbed in italian or still in english?

I know I have a merry melodies from techno film that is all in english except the opening credits have some italian titles mixed in.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 08, 2016 04:34 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The Derann print is on par with any other of the best Kevin.
A very nice print indeed!

I have had a dupe print of Sleeping Beauty for around 36hrs once, before finally managing to find a "real" one by Derann.
It was appalling in every which way possible. Print quality, image stability, film stock, sharpness.

You name it, it suffered from it!.
If this was all that was out there, no one would remain a collector, it really was THAT bad!

It did have an English track though. One plus among a catalogue of minuses.

Accept no compromise with prints that are available in a better "official release", that's my advice.
Anything else is just too big a compromise in any example I've seen.

--------------------

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2016 05:36 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One film I would love to own is Suspiria- However I heard similar issues with the Italian Super 8 film release. Poor quality: soft focus for one thing. =( So now I'm just on the look out for a 16mm version

I guess this is the issue with most prints from Italy?

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 08, 2016 05:43 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
On the whole, I'd say yes, although, as with everything in life, there are always exceptions. Screenshots tell you everything with our prints.

Insist always for as many as possible nowadays before forming an opinion or parting with any money.

--------------------

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2016 10:11 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, regarding the quality of Italian super 8 feature prints, heres my pennys worth.
I have several Italian features, Live and Let Die, Octopussy and The Towering Inferno. Firstly they are quite substandard in sharpness and colour, with Italian magnetic sound and Italian titles etc. I bought them because I wanted those titles on celluloid regardless of print quality and they were stupidly cheap. The spools alone were worth the purchase price. From what I understand historically about these old super 8 prints of titles we could only dream about owning is this. When Italian TV was open to any broadcaster they soon realised that they did not have anything to show, so what could be easier than pirating a new film at the cinema and making a super 8 copy of it, all the title changes and language is already there for Italian consumption. So super 8 piracy? Only buy if you want that title on what ever quality of film, if you want pristine then avoid. And yes I will be dubbing mine into

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2016 10:11 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always happy to offer a screen shot or two etc

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 10, 2016 11:34 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Please no Mark!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

We want members to come into the hobby, not remove themselves
from it!

As said on a few occasions recently, avoid at all cost, that's my advice.

They potentially, would turn even the most avid Super 8mm fan completely off this wonderful hobby of ours when we screen the best prints ever made.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 10, 2016 11:47 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This story I actually got from a fellow Italian film collector ...

Back in the day, (in the days of "bootleg" prints), a person would go to the movie theater and before the print would be sent back to the distributor, they would go and make a negative of the print, no matter how bad it looked, and then make a print run on super 8. This is why you would find so many printings of, especially, Disney titles, with wildly varying levels of quality.

Gee, too bad that those same people didn't think of, before it was even projected the first time, running it over for a printing of a negative or perhaps after the first day (with little or no wear on the source), oh well ...

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC