8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Minette editor bulbs - how best to preserve?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Minette editor bulbs - how best to preserve?
Craig McDowall
Junior

- posted March 16, 2016 06:09 PM      Profile for Craig McDowall   Author's Homepage   Email Craig McDowall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again folks . . another question before I transfer film to my computer . . .
I have a four gang synchronizing table with a powered film transport and a Minette viewer. Using it now to edit the film and using a Fuji tape splicer for the editing. Question is . . is it better to leave the power on when not actually viewing film on the Minette or to turn it off and on if there is, for example a ten minute interval, before I start viewing film again. I can only get these bulbs on ebay and they are $20 a piece so am thinking leaving it on while i work is the best move to conserve them(?)
Craig

|  IP: Logged

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2016 03:55 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would advise leaving it on, incandescent bulbs are much happier being left on for long periods, I've almost never had a bulb fail while it's been switched on, but i've had hundreds go PLINK when I first switch them on!

Lindsay Morris
Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2016 04:44 AM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig,

IF you are handy with a soldering iron simply adding a small diode in series with either wire to the lamp will reduce the brilliance by about 40%.
Then add a small switch to short that diode out when you want full brilliance and then go back to reduced light position as you switch on so that the start up shock to the lamp filament is minimised & so prolong the lamp life.
A diode type such as 1N5404 which is rated @ 3A should do the trick. Most viewer lamps are often 12V 20W types which only takes 1.7A. The 1N5404 is rated @3A so would be quite happy doing that job.

[Smile]

--------------------
Lindsay

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC