8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Problems with striping cine film (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Problems with striping cine film
Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2016 03:31 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Supersound striper, not used for many years, but I think their instructions didn't include having the recently striped film passing through the gate/claw but just under one sprocket then to the take-up spool.

I can't remember how it was done though. I was using a Eumig 710D.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Murray
Junior

- posted March 23, 2016 04:42 PM      Profile for Tim Murray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian
I never thought of that. I guess your right, if I could get the projector to pull the film through without going through the gate, then it would have more time for the cement to set. Not sure how to do that but I have another avenue to pursue. many Thanks Tim
Just to let people know the response from the firm I got the cement off I copy the email correspondence:- The initial email is at the bottom and works up

I do not know.
This product was sold years before my time here at WCT and is not available any more since 2012/2013.
So it is expired in 2015 LATEST.
This is the only important information for you.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Best regards

Ingolf Joost
Wittner Cinetec GmbH & Co. KG
Beaulieu Deutschland
www.wittner-cinetec.com
www.beaulieu.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ammersbek. Amtsgericht Lübeck HRA 4657 HL.
Komplementärin/Geschäftsführung: Wittner Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH, Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ammersbek. Amtsgericht Lübeck HRB 6527 HL.
Geschäftsführer der Wittner Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH: Daniel Wittner

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 5:18 PM
To: service@wittner-kinotechnik.de
Subject: RE: Problems with striping cement

Hi

I am still waiting to see where this information is shown on the bottle

-----Original Message-----
From: service@wittner-kinotechnik.de [mailto:service@wittner-kinotechnik.de]

Sent: 23 March 2016 16:15
To: tim murray
Subject: Re: Problems with striping cement

Hello,

it is 24 month after purchase.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Best regards

Ingolf Joost
Beaulieu Deutschland
www.wittner-cinetec.com
www.beaulieu.de

Komplementärin/Geschäftsführung: Wittner Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH, Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ammersbek. Amtsgericht Lübeck HRB 6527 HL.

Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 1:27 PM
To: service@wittner-kinotechnik.de
Subject: RE: Problems with striping cement

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I cannot find a use by date on the bottle. Can you point me to where the use by date is printed?

-----Original Message-----
From: service@wittner-kinotechnik.de [mailto:service@wittner-kinotechnik.de]

Sent: 22 March 2016 20:19
To: tim murray
Subject: Re: Problems with striping cement

Hello,

in which year did you purchase the cement?
In 2013?

In this case it is not good any more.
The shelf life is 24 month at maximum.
The deterioration did make it unusable meanwhile, I am sorry.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Best regards

Ingolf Joost
Beaulieu Deutschland
www.wittner-cinetec.com
www.beaulieu.de

Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 4:50 PM
To: service@wittner-cinetec.com
Cc: 'tim murray'
Subject: Problems with striping cement

Dear Sir,

Some time ago I purchased 2 bottles of Tonspurkleber Classic 100ml to use
for striping tape onto Kodak 25 Standard 8mm cine film. My colleague,
Manfred Stolz, purchased these for me and I have recently attempted t
‘stripe’ some cine. I am having problems as the cement is not ensuring that
the tape sticks to the film. I have checked and the cement states that it is

for acetate film, which Kodak 25 is.

The invoice for this was RE13282964.

Can you advise if I need to do something to ensure that the cement works,
please. I am using a Balfour Rexette striping machine which I have not had
any problems with before. The tape is being run against the film and the
cement is linking the two but it does not ensure that the tape is cemented
to the film. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Tim Murray

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 23, 2016 05:36 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, with my striping machine, I don't use a projector to move the film and still had the same trouble you have so I'm not sure the problem comes from the way the film is moved (although the stripe goes out of the film at the first film guide but the machine has been designed that way so it would be surprising that could make things not work properly).

--------------------
Dominique

Tim Murray
Junior

- posted March 23, 2016 06:08 PM      Profile for Tim Murray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique
Thanks for the tip. I am not sure how best to proceed. I guess I will try to experiment with a short piece of cine film. Maybe see if a warmer temperature achieves anything.
Cheers
Tim

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 23, 2016 06:13 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I will go on Holiday on Friday so won't be able to try anything soon. The good thing is that after two weeks, the weather will be better :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Tim Murray
Junior

- posted March 24, 2016 05:14 AM      Profile for Tim Murray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique
Have a good holiday. I will update the forum when I have had some more experimenting.
Cheers
Tim

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 24, 2016 05:37 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Tim. I hope we will be able to stripe our films.

--------------------
Dominique

Tim Murray
Junior

- posted April 02, 2016 10:55 AM      Profile for Tim Murray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi once again. I am still having great problems in trying to stripe my films. I managed to obtain some more original cement, thanks to a forum member, but I still get the same result. The cement seems to be applied ok and the tape is fixed to the film, but once it goes through the projector it just comes apart. It is almost as though it needs some more time to set before it goes through the projector, or it is not being ‘fixed’ correctly, but I have spaced the projector and rexette machine as indicated and have double checked the tape is being stuck on the correct side. I have tried two different projectors and different reels of tape. I am at a loss! When I used to stripe years ago the tape stuck firmly to the film before it even reached the projector gate. I don’t know what to try now. Has anyone any ideas, or does anyone know where I might get the films striped professionaly? Thanks

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 04, 2016 11:01 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had the same problem, using the glue and yet the strip still wouldn't stick. I don't remember the model, but Steve Osbourne sent me a lovely striping machine that I just couldn't get to work ...

I believe I forwarded it onto Dino Everette, and I think that he was able to get it to work eventually, but I don't know how he did it.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2016 11:47 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder tim if anyone on the forum has used this new striping glue from your supplier recently and has had success with getting them to bond together for keeps. My thoughts on this are that whatever they have taken out of the glue for health and safety reasons is causing this problem, I think I would try adding a little more acetone to the bottle and getting some scrap film to try it on.

Tim Murray
Junior

- posted April 05, 2016 01:58 PM      Profile for Tim Murray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A note to say a big than you to Lee who gave me some good advice over the phone. The main solution was to place the projector and stripe machine a lot further apart. The Balfour instructions recommend 12" between the machine and projector and, when I striped film years ago this seemed to work ok. Lee suggested a distance of 6 to 9feet apart. This I tried and the tape stuck to the film ok. Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions, they have all been acted upon. One thing that I must do now is find a retailer that sells striping tape - any recommendations?
Dominique. Hope you had a good holiday. Do try spacing the machine and projector at least two metres apart, as suggested by Lee. It is a bit difficult to get used to but once it is up and running you are away and striping.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC