8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Upgrading projector - Advice (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Upgrading projector - Advice
Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2016 11:01 AM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a very interesting thread guys. Being very fortunate to own all 'big three' machines, this is how I mostly use them:

For all my home movies: always the Beaulieu 708 EL Stereo
For daily use both features and digests: both Fumeo 9119 (which I have in it's 'AVS' incarnation) and the GS1200 halogen (rebuilt by Ugo Grassi) which I also use as my re-recording machine.
And last but not least: The GS1200 xenon (revised by Ugo Grassi) is used for feature films, scope films and for whenever I long for that 'ultra sharp' xenon light...

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 02, 2016 04:48 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You have some wonderful machines to hand there Alexander, Well done you! [Wink]

Feel free to add to the debate given your vast experience regarding all 3 of the big 3!

It's only one persons opinion whilever only one person is the only guy (from two only here) willing to offer advice!

Your order of play puzzles me immensely, but I'm sure you will elaborate here with your subsequent explanation.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Alessandro Pavoni
Master Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2016 10:15 AM      Profile for Alessandro Pavoni   Email Alessandro Pavoni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Miguel, I find a Beaulieu 708 Stereo on Ebay.
I do not know the seller and the description does not say much,
on the mechanical condition of the machine.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/filmprojektor-Super-8-Beaulieu-708-EL-/262363727987?hash=item3d1618c873:g:UmoAAOSwQgpW~jME

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 03, 2016 11:56 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It's expensive though for a private sale, even if it ran like a fine Swiss Watch. £1200 or 1500€

To be fair, I hadnt noticed it comes with the official flight case and extension speakers. So a nice find then, all in all!

[ April 03, 2016, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Alessandro Pavoni
Master Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2016 12:36 PM      Profile for Alessandro Pavoni   Email Alessandro Pavoni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Big Grin]

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2016 12:58 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the Beaulieu flight case I want. With the machine. But I wouldn't buy the whole lot just for the case.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 03, 2016 02:07 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
A suitably sized Aluminium flight case could be sourced for these Steven outside of finding an official Beaulieu one.

I've no room to put mine in one, but if I did have the room, I'd have to find one for it from hundreds of different sized ones of these available for pro audio equipment and the likes.

--------------------

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2016 02:11 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a stickler I wanted the Beaulieu branded one. [Big Grin]

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 03, 2016 02:13 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It'd be nice Steven, but not an easy find as also are the official extension speakers.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 03, 2016 03:13 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the eBay 708EL is stereo.
The bids are expected from 1500€.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 03, 2016 03:21 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again Maurice.

It is a stereo model Maurice, the orange writing on the lamphouse cover gives it away, aside from other detail. but you are absolutely correct Maurice, 1500 euros is the starting price for the bidding on this one.

It has the scope shoe fitted, but apparently no Scope bracket? (which it almost certainly was issued with)
Also the lens does not appear to be a Schneider? (original type usually fitted in this era of manufacture.)

It appears an identical model to my own, so this is what I would have expected it to look like, in every way, inc lens and bracket:-

-

--------------------

Miguel Gimenez
Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2016 04:11 PM      Profile for Miguel Gimenez   Email Miguel Gimenez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, that's strange. If he answers my first questions, then I'll ask about that too.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 04, 2016 12:08 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to be very careful when you are getting a Beaulieu 708. I have had about 3 of them now. The 1st one I got off of Ebay the seller said it was in good condition. When I received it the film never threaded all the way through. It would get jammed. I sent it off to Bjorn in Sweden and he found out that it needed a new claw, a new main motor, and some new rollers and things. It came to around $900 on top of what I paid. Ouch!
The 2nd was an HTI machine. I knew it was not working since the Ballast and Ignitor was shot when I received it. It needed a tune up as well as new parts.
But once everything was fixed on these machines the 2 I had previous were some of the nicest running projectors from any manufacturer I had used. Just purrs along. So make sure you ask lots of questions before you bid. They are great machines but they have to be in tip top shape to really shine. They also made many different versions of that machine. The HTI machine I have now has no dowser to cut off the lamp if the projector gets stuck on a frame. The light just shuts off. With the previous HTI that I had repaired that one did come with a dowser and the bulb would go into standby mode.
Also the mono/non stereo models are the ones to stay away from IMHO. The Stereo machines were fitted with the adjustable 2/3 blade shutter and when you put the 2 bladed shutter position in place the films looked great and the image was brighter with the 150 watt lamp than the image from my GS1200 with 200 watt lamp. Sound as they say is so so through the internal speakers. You can't really turn them up without them rumbling or making weird noises. But if you hook it up to external speakers than the sound is pretty nice.
For focusing I'm with Andrew on this one. For me the Beaulieu has the best focusing mechanism in Super 8. You can fine tune the focus and it will stay put. Even with the HTI lamp that mine uses there is no image going out of focus due to heat. That may have been one isolated incident because I had 3 of them and not one of them had focus issues. Keep your eyes peeled. The company that I had in the link before had an almost NEW Beaulieu 708 Stereo. They wanted 1600 + Euros? I think if it was nearly new and everything was working as it should than that was a fair price. The Beaulieu 708 Stereo has to be one of my favorite machines that I've owned.

Miguel Gimenez
Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2016 02:09 AM      Profile for Miguel Gimenez   Email Miguel Gimenez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Alan for sharing your experience, I appreciate it and is very useful, thanks for the operation details: they help a lot to clarify questions in my mind.

Frankly it scares me a little. Of course I don't want to pay 800-1000 € and then double that. By the way, I don't know who is Bjorn in Sweden, (at side of someone that repairs Beaulieu), but I have readen that Beaulieu, in France, still repairs their cameras and projectors. Which seems a better option, at least for me that I am closer to them.

Indeed, I almost never use the built-in speakers, so it's all right.

Unhappily the web site you refer to do not have anymore the Beaulieu you mention, but I retain the price as a maximum, in case an almost-new one is found. They have two HTI though, and pretty expensive!

I keep searching.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 04, 2016 02:36 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Andrew for the answer.
The eBay photographs are not very clear. I certainly missed the orange word "Stereo".

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 04, 2016 03:19 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No problem Maurice,it really isn't too clear on any of the photographs on the one for sale.

Miguel, Alan has also given you his superb and highly accurate assessment of all things Beaulieu, so in my opinion, given the experience of people like Alan, you are in a very well informed position to now go on and select a very good machine.

As with any other, there are plenty of pitfalls and obstacles to overcome, but with careful selection of questions asked to a potential seller, and then some kind of video evidence of its performance, you should be able to ensure you receive a nice fully working machine to begin with and any slight tweaks needed to improve upon its already decent performance levels, shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility if you have some understanding as to how these things work.

They are nearly all 30 plus years old now, so just like a well cherished 30 year old classic car, you perhaps cannot expect total perfection running conditions from it as soon as you receive it. Unless it has had plenty of money on New spare parts spent on it over the decades.

The good news is, in almost every case, the parts are out there to get these things like new again, for the likely wear items.

.................................................................................................................................................................................... ............

Incidentally, one thing to bear in mind with these or any other Super 8mm sound projector is, the internal speakers, given the restrictive size of the rear cover and all of the inner workings it has contained within, are only ever designed to be used as monitor speakers.
So it would be wrong to judge the sound from these, or indeed any other Super 8mm machine, purely based on what you hear from the internal speakers.

The internal speakers on these machines, as with many others, are only tiny comparatively, and therefore the internal amplifier distributes only a fraction of it's available output power through to the internal speakers.
The sound therefore will of course sound "thin", especially through these internal speakers, as they simply cannot replicate decent bass levels.

Once you attach some decent 4 or 8 ohm speakers onto the ends of those 2 pin din connectors, then you will hear the capabilities of these in earnest with a decent Stereo track running through it.

Better still if use external speakers connected locally to the projector and also slave out at the same time to your screen room through an external amplifier, which this machine can do simultaneously.

[ April 04, 2016, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 04, 2016 06:05 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
When it comes to checking out the condition of the claw and such likes, ask for photographs something like these in their detail here, to give you a good indication you are unlikely to fall into the same trouble as Alan unfortunately did do here when he purchased his first from e bay.

In this day age, given all the communication technology we have at our disposal and at the end of our fingertips, there need not be too many disappointments here I feel, nowadays.

Just make sure the claw tips have been fully and thoroughly cleaned with a soft brush or compressed air before they are photographed in order for you to make a fair assessment here.

-

-

This claw works fine, so guage any by this if you like.

--------------------

Miguel Gimenez
Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2016 01:27 PM      Profile for Miguel Gimenez   Email Miguel Gimenez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andrew, this is perfect! You are helping a lot. I'll keep that to compare with. I'll ask for an image like that when I find it.

I wonder if there are other -visible- particular/critical parts to put attention on, at side of the general look or lens shape.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 04, 2016 02:12 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Listen to the motor. The one where the motor went the speed would fluctuate every so slightly. Even with no film in the projector the one I had you could hear the sound of the motor go faster / slow down a little. When a motor cannot keep the correct speed is when the motor needs replacing. Also a jumpy picture could mean the gate could need replacing. I had a lot of vertical movement. Just ever so slightly but enough to make you go crazy if you were watching it. Look for cracked rubber rollers, missing pieces. Usually if you see a machine and it looks really nice most of the times it may need a little adjustment but overall could be a nice machine. If the machine is missing pieces, paint looks bad, cracked pieces means it wasn't take care of very well and could lead to costly repairs down the road. Or maybe even in front of you on the road!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 04, 2016 02:32 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The motor on these can be demonstrated with and without film, no problem. Ask for a video from threading through to projection.
Ask to see the fixed speed control button working with film and ask to see the variable speed control knob working also.

Ask to see 18fps then 24 fps. with a change of the switch.

Also check the film is being fed smoothly and constantly through the Capstan Drive section and that the bottom and top loops remain rigidly constant in their shape as the film is fed through the machine.

With no film loaded ask the seller to show you the floating roller mechanism working at the capstan drive area. by moving the rocker mechanism gently forwards and backwards you should hear the machine speed up and slow down.

This is just for the motor section.

Do similar checks for the sound section including both channels. Ask to see the V.U. meters in action when switching from one track to another and then Stereo mode.
Ask to see an input through to internal and external speakers etc etc.

The list can be endless, but your confidence should build if the thing looks and sounds right and is clearly cared for and the above at least, turns out to be working satisfactory.

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 05, 2016 12:10 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the finished auction. Came with a 2 year warranty.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/WIE-NEU-Filmprojektor-Beaulieu-708-EL-708EL-STEREO-2-Jah-Gewaehrleistung-/201541800427?hash=item2eecd3d1eb%3Ag%3APXYAAOSwvgdW5wo3&nma=true&si=3B8A1Vl3WzV%252 BRp%252BctpWc0PA5%252FPw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 05, 2016 05:22 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Looked a very nice machine Alan, even if just a tad pricey.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 05, 2016 11:58 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go for the high end CHINON (CHINON 9500 is a great one, I own two!) or a GREAT high end EUMIG stereo model, some of the best stereo or mono playback that you'll ever hear from a super 8 projector, to be sure!

The EUMIG 938 stereo is a great example, just ask Paul Adsett!!

(I'm still looking to get one of those myself, quite frankly)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 05, 2016 12:16 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one Osi, but with respect, it's poles apart from any of the machines in serious contention and spoken of here.

Why would you consider a 938 or 9500 to be the best option for Miguel here Osi, given his upgrade requirements?

The 938,while an excellent projector, wouldn't be the brightest option for an audience of 10, nor does it have plausible recording facilities given its a.c. friction drive design.

The guy by preference, wants HTI brightness levels, then why on earth would you recommend a Chinon 9500??

Bear in mind, I recommended a T610 only for Miguels recording work, it is a far brighter machine than a 938, no question.
But even then, I didn't recommend it as his showcase machine as I feel the brightest levels achievable from T610 would fall way short of his expectations based on its design and his requirements here.

--------------------

Miguel Gimenez
Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2016 01:27 PM      Profile for Miguel Gimenez   Email Miguel Gimenez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, I have also, at side of the Chinon SS1200, the Chinon 7500, but I never use it for important prints. In fact I use it rarely.

The SS1200 seems pretty similar to the 9500 to me (except for the optical reading).

[ April 05, 2016, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Miguel Gimenez ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC