8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Recommend a projector (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Recommend a projector
Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2016 12:02 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking to purchase a Super 8mm projector. I've been investigating Elmo models, but I am disturbed by this reputation for scratching in the film path. What would be a good make and model that doesn't have this reputation? The projector is primarily for my own, silent, Super 8mm projects. Still I think I might want sound in the event I may come across a title I'd like to have that has sound. I'd like a decent throw distance, but it doesn't have to be super long. 99% of the time I would be throwing the picture a fairly short distance. Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks,

R.M.C.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 02, 2016 12:30 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mind if i ask which model Elmo you use?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 02, 2016 01:02 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
My preferred choices for a guaranteed non scratching film path when all is how it should be, are Eumig S938/40, Bauer Studio Class projectors 525/ 610 etc and Beaulieu Stereo machines.
Also I believe Fumeo machines are very kind to film also.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, if it is a simple mono 100w lamp machine you are seeking with up to 600ft reel capacity, I can thoroughly recommend an Agfa LS or LS2 which has never scratched film either and can be obtained for very little money.
These are a Bauer designed and manufactured machine specifically made for the Agfa brand which of course, was synonymous with Super 8mm here in Europe just as Kodak was in the States and on a global scale.

These also have the unique design feature of being able to rewind through the gate a part projected film with no damage to film in doing so!

Also at this end of the scale, I have had experience using the more simpler designed Eumig mono model, the S932. This also appears to be extremely kind to film and will cost considerably less than a S938 if one could be found.

All models mentioned can be used globally as they have a voltage selector built in. Just not sure if the Agfa can handle a 60Hz supply and still give you the correct speed though due to it having an a.c. motor.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2016 01:18 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@TomPhotiou

The models I have been looking at are the Elmo ST-600, GS-800, and ST-1200.

@andrewwodcock

I will check those out!

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2016 01:25 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a fan of Sankyo projectors and they are readily available in the U.S. They are reasonably priced also. For silent, dual gauge, look for the 2000H. For sound, the 700 or 800 series.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 02, 2016 01:25 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately Raleigh, I think most of the European models will be somewhat difficult to source in the U.S. but the Eumig models should be there if nothing else is easily found.

As Barry correctly points out, the Sankyo models like the 700 and 800 are easily found also on your side of the pond and these also are generally regarded as a good solid non scratch solution equally, though I've no experience with any of them personally.

--------------------

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2016 02:52 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andrew, Barry.

P.S. Andrew, sorry I mucked up your name, AGAIN. [Confused]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 02, 2016 02:59 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No worries pal, I've been called worse! Lol. [Wink]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 02, 2016 03:06 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you choose the 1200 Elmo try and get the 1200HD version, these have the improved lower roller set up. [Wink]

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2016 03:32 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd second the Sankyo if the Elmo isn't available. Very kind to film and quiet. The only slight drawback being the 800ft capacity.

--------------------
Tony

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 02, 2016 03:54 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good choice Tony, they do look very nice.

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2016 06:04 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@tomphotiou

There is one called the ST-1200D.

I suppose not the same as the HD. What does the HD stand for, if you know?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 02, 2016 06:16 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what these letters actually represent, but to say there are 3 variants.

ST1200, ST1200D and ST1200HD.
The vanilla and oldest model is the first. It generally is always available in mag/opt format and is a green coloured machine. It is mono only and is the first generation model of these with less rollers and refinement of the film path.
The D is mono machine also with a more powerful amplifier and a few other refinements and is silver coloured.
The HD is a later twin track model with an even more powerful amplifier and excellent sound,apart from the excessive wow and flutter sometimes experienced on all of these machines.

It has far more refinements to the film path and a few extra rollers etc.

Both the D and HD can be found in magnetic only and magnetic / optical variants.
Perhaps the vanilla one can be too, but all the ones I've seen and owned have been mag/ opt models.

There are far more detailed differences between all three variants, but this is it in a nutshell here.

--------------------

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2016 09:45 AM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just picked up the Sankyo 2000H. I hope I'm happy with it! Thanks all for the knowledge sharing!

Will report back when I get it.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 03, 2016 10:37 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sankyo 2000H is a dual gauge silent projector. It does not have sound.

--------------------
Maurice

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2016 10:53 AM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I am aware of that. I can do sound later down the road.

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2016 04:31 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got my Sankyo 2000H today, and I really couldn't be more pleased. It's a wonderful little machine that I am very impressed with. First, I was surprised by how small it was. Before I opened the inner box it was encased in, I actually wondered if I had been sent the wrong item! But this little machine is heavy and built like a tank! And so many features - safety features like the shutter won't open unless the film is properly loaded, to prevent heat damage to the film, Forward and reverse projection that can be continually speed adjusted during projection. Slow motion projection, and still frame projection that has a filter to prevent heat damage to the film during still frame mode. It is also, as Barry said, a very quiet projector (in comparison to others I have heard) when in normal projection mode. It's also in MINT condition. It was either rarely used or it was taken care of very well by a loving owner. It's a very well made machine, and I can understand why Barry is a fan of Sankyo projectors. I think I am too now!

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2016 06:13 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you like the projector. If you don't know if the drive belt has been replaced, consider replacing it. The older belts turn to goo and will flick the goo around the inside of the projector. The goo can be pretty easily cleaned off with acetone, or naptha and Q Tips. Belts are available on Ebay. If you search threads here
you will find info on how to replace the belt. It is easy to do if you follow tips in the threads.

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2016 06:53 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of Sankyo 1000s. Both needed new drive belts despite being described as working. Despite their age, they still look modern whilst my Eumigs from the same era look dated.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2016 07:33 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will, the 1000 is a nice projector but it uses the older, more expensive lamp. They did make a 1000H, but they are rare. The 2000H uses a halogen lamp that is inexpensive and readily available everywhere. If you ever get a chance to get a 2000H, I would recommend picking it up.

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2016 07:52 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll ask the guy who sold it to me about that. He serviced it before he sold it to me. If you open it up it looks brand new on the inside. He cleaned it and put a brand new bulb in it. Don't know if he changed the belt. It runs perfectly though.

The only thing I find odd about this projector is the frame rate is adjustable from 14-22. 22??? I wonder why they stopped two frames short of 24 [Confused]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 06, 2016 08:04 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sanyko 1000 is a silent projector. Sound films were typically recorded at 24fps.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2016 08:43 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah but some Super 8mm cameras have the ability to shoot 24fps, even silent ones.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 06, 2016 09:19 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's true...but the question was why does the Sankyo only go to 22fps. This projector was marketed to run the majority of consumer level silent films.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2016 07:31 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, I've never come across a 1000H for sale. They were made around 1970 when the "Spaceman" lamps were in common use and probably cheap so there wouldn't have been much demand for the halogen version. The 2000H appears sometimes on eBay but I've been outbid every time. One day....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC