8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » CineSea XIII in Pictures (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CineSea XIII in Pictures
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 05, 2016 08:35 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good job, Steve !

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 06, 2016 10:12 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!

-we're more than halfway there now.

Two, maybe three more to go...

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Michael Lattavo
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2016 11:44 AM      Profile for Michael Lattavo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter can't wait until she's old enough to attend! In the meantime, she'll have to be content with souvenirs....

-

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 06, 2016 11:49 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was great to meet you Mike!

CineSea is pretty family friendly and we plan to still be at it when your daughter is ready!

Saturday Night Continues…

Here’s something you won’t see in North America very often. Jason Smith brought a Japanese Godzilla reel with him and shared it with our show, and while we see Japanese monster movies all the time here, this one wasn’t dubbed!

-

-what a treat to see the lips matching the voices just once! (Had no idea what they were saying, of course…)

We had an Our Gang “The Pooch”, where Stymie rescues dogs from the dog catcher. It is the grimmest Our Gang I have ever seen: at the end we have a moment where it looks like the dog catcher has gassed Pete the Pup! (-turned out OK. No spoilers, though).

-

I am a fan of Our Gang, but no scholar: it’s the only one I’ve ever seen where we see one of the kids crying.

-

We also had a very nice print of the 1938 short "Queens of the Air”. This was meant to introduce movie audiences to singers they had only heard on radio. It’s an absolute classic: beautiful women singing great music in pristine black and white!

You can imagine it in some grand Art-Deco movie house, long before your day or mine. Of course there’s a Wal-Mart there now. That’s what we call “progress”!

-

-

-

-

We had passed the midpoint of the show and the crowd was starting to thin just a little, but the determined among us were still in our seats, resolved to be there for that last reel well after midnight.

NEXT: The Late, Late Show!

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 06, 2016 12:31 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Terrific! After you've wrapped up the screening chapter, I'll post the titles of the Super 8mm films we showed that night.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2016 12:39 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a really great time! Nice job on the write up Steve....your a good writer.

Bill [Smile]

[ May 22, 2016, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Bill Phelps ]

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2016 04:46 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful work, Steve, both in the writing and the pictures; it looks like we're growing slowly and steadily in attendance. At this rate, eventually we'll just rent the whole restaurant one day!

Big big THANK YOUs to everyone for the warm birthday wishes and kind thoughts on the card; it holds a place of pride on my desk as I write.

For now, I will enjoy the pictures and text and look forward to the fall show [Smile]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 06, 2016 05:26 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday Claus! We missed you!

Midnight Came….and Went!

Do you remember college?

Do you remember when your body was young and resilient and staying up until 3:00 AM to watch Twilight Zone episodes when you had a final exam at 8:15 seemed entirely reasonable?

I remember college…my body seems to have forgotten it, though!

-but it was Saturday Night Show, I was there and I was prepared to go the distance!

(My 13 year old was sitting next to me…if we let him, he could sleep until November! -what does HE care?!)

The mind plays tricks that late! Dinner seemed like months ago and something about seeing this guy makes you think about breakfast!

-

Doug Meltzer is very good at editing soundtracks and syncing them up to silent footage, so good as a matter of fact he’s been doing it with 200 foot digests that were never expected to be talkies by the people that made them.

This time it was Gunga Din, and when he blew that trumpet we heard it loud and clear!

-

“Good LORD!, what’s Mickey Mouse doing up this late? Does MINNIE know he’s out?!”

-

Around this time the battery in my camera gasped its last: It was done. I wasn’t far behind!

The last reel of the night was Charlie Chaplin in ”The Immigrant”. As luck would have it, I own a Blackhawk print myself. Good thing too: every so often my eyes fell shut and for maybe 10 seconds at a time I saw it on the insides of my eyelids!

My internal monologue started to run off its rails: “… shouldn’t eat that much bacon…cholesterol!…eat that damned duck instead!...NO!!!,…RUN, DAFFY!!!”.

”The Immigrant” ended and I heard the tail slapping on the machine. In the haze of what should have been my second hour of sleep I heard Doug say “Well, I guess that’s all!...Good night!”. The audience muttered “….g’night” and wandered aimlessly towards the door. Most made it through on the first try.

First light hit the screen roughly 8PM that night. It was now 1:30AM of a whole new day, and if it wasn’t, I’m sure it was 1:30AM somewhere in the world!

-I am no longer a reliable source at this point!

(We MADE it!)

Outside, Wildwood was quiet: I guess nobody else had films to watch! Even WE had finally run out…

-until next time!

We made our weary way upstairs, fumbled with the room key in that frigid ocean air, and then slept the sleep of the….exhausted!

-but seriously, folks:

-don’t get me wrong here: This is not a competition and nobody faults you if you retire at a normal, human hour. It’s just for me this is something I only get to do twice a year and I was going to enjoy every minute of it!

Saturday at CineSea is a long day, all the way from the walk up the beach for breakfast until that last reel is ready to be rewound.

-That’s OK because it is also a good day. You and I have many shorter days we will find much more tiring.

NEXT: Now it’s time to say goodbye to all our company…

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 06, 2016 11:38 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was such a fun night. These are some of the Super 8 titles we showed on Saturday evening:

D.W. Griffith's 1909 short Those Awful Hats (Blackhawk)
Chuck Workman's Pieces of Silver (Derann) celebrating 100 years of cinema.
Trailers for The Black Cat (Basil Rathbone, not Karloff), Revenge of the Creature, Dr. Ehrlich's Magic Bullet and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
400' digest of Jerry Lewis in The Errand Boy, a Piccolo print that I re-recorded into English.
A railroad film courtesy of Steve Klare.
Jason Smith showed a Godzilla short in Japanese with scenes from Godzilla's Revenge.
W.C. Fields' 1932 The Dentist (Blackhawk), one of the funniest shorts ever!
The Seven Ups digest (Ken Films) from the Klare Kollection.
Columbia's classic 200 footer The Giant Claw. The first real glimpse of the creature always gets a great reaction.

-

Gunga Din (Ken Films), a silent digest with sync audio added.
Pathe Laurel & Hardy Newsreel compilation, courtesy Shorty Caruso.
Grizzly (1976) horror film digest

-

I know I've forgotten a few....

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 07, 2016 02:47 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love thhis thread. Although it makes us, the non American members of the forum, realize that, once again, we missed great moments.

[ May 07, 2016, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: Dominique De Bast ]

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 07, 2016 04:02 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally agree with Dominque....thanks for posting the write up and those wonderful photos.

Jack Cleveland
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2016 06:42 AM      Profile for Jack Cleveland   Email Jack Cleveland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not make it to 1:30 or "The Immigrant". I left after ... can't remember! But I turned my light out at 1, so I did not miss much! It is sooo much fun to watch films with friends. Missing each of you a week later. Had to watch a print on my own last night. So much more fun with each of my Cinesea friends!

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2016 09:13 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now why would anyone NOT want to go to an event like this? Thank goodness for the BFCC in Ealing. Can I suggest that at the next event we all wear a name badge as I'm sure I've spoken to folk on this forum without even realising it as I've sold them films on my table. Makes it more interesting for newbies too. Thanks for the pictures. If only you weren't quite so far away.

--------------------
Dave

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 07, 2016 03:31 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sunday

The basic theme of Sunday is “pack up and go home”. Most of the dealing has been dealt, most of the showing has been shown. (-Yet there is always talk!)

-there is also breakfast.

If you’re a fan of breakfast, Wildwood is your kind of town! There are many fine places to have a wonderful start to your day. This is usually not a quiche and crepe kind of breakfast, more the kind of stuff a lumberjack would have: eggs, bacon, pancakes, waffles! You wash it down with a robust cup of coffee or several and you’re ready to take axe in hand and head for the tall timber!

This time was a new place uptown called Samuels.

-yet another excellent choice!

-

I’d like you to meet Jason Smith.

I often kid around about someone getting the award for traveling furthest. For whatever it’s worth, Jason has it now and is likely to keep it a while too! He started out his journey to CineSea in Japan, where he teaches English. (Puts my four hour drive in a whole new perspective!).

For the most of us that live here in the eastern US, it’s tempting to think of this as a local event. In the days of sticking a 3 by 5 card on the bulletin board at the Supermarket it may have been exactly that, but these days everything is everywhere and even a couple of dozen people having a film weekend at a little hotel on the beach reaches all around the world!

So we thank Jason for joining in and hope we honored his long journey with a weekend that was all he’d hoped!

We thank everyone who came from near and far: this is about people and if came down to three guys and a projector it would be nothing!

For all of us it was the same: checkout by 11AM, keep all your stuff organized (SO MUCH STUFF!), and pack up the car.

- North on Ocean Avenue,
- West on Rio Grande,
- Garden State Parkway North or South, and back to day to day life.

-but FIRST we need that group photo!

-

-personally it’s looking like the Ocean Holiday’s pool will be good to go long before October..guess I’d better get back to that project! (or...Maybe when I retire!)

-

-

Claus Harding Photo from CineSea IX…because I LIKE it, that’s why!

NEXT: Come see for yourself!

(I’m done now, you’ll need to write this one for yourself!)

See you in October!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 07, 2016 06:19 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, you did what probably many of us would be able to do !

--------------------
Dominique

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2016 11:53 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, I`m glad that I made the trip to Cinesea from Japan. There are so few film gatherings like this going on these days. As a newbie to this hobby, it was great being able to meet people from this forum and spend the weekend watching 8mm and 16mm films.

Thank you everyone who was able to bring 8mm and 16mm films to sell. It was really great being able to meet collectors in person and preview the films before buying.

I know there were quite a few people who were unable to make it to Cinesea that I hope to catch at a future Cinesea.

I wanted to thank the organizers and everyone's contribution in making it a great Cinesea. It was my first Cinesea and definitely not my last.

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2016 10:04 AM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great write-up Steve! Excellent composition on the photos as well! Here are a couple of low quality pictures taken from my phone:

-

-

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 09, 2016 02:02 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Evan,

It was nice to meet you!

One way to appreciate this thing is to notice how many people come to it that aren't exactly film folk. If I count correctly, we run something like 4 wives/girlfriends and maybe a the same number of children.

They just enjoy hanging out with the people there and having the weekend away.

It can come in handy too. Last Christmas my wife decided to buy me a projection table. Not only did she know of such things because she saw them at the Ocean Holiday, she also had access to consultants so she could find a nice one! (Mission accomplished!)

I bring along a projector so I can look at prints up in my room: The Ocean Holiday is very accommodating for this. Not only is there a kitchen counter aligned with the refrigerator door with a handy outlet there too, but the refrigerators are a pretty passable white for screening!

-

(I'm glad the color of this print is much better in real life!)

NOTE: This is NOT the ultra-rare ELMO ST-800 Xenon I'm sure you've all never heard anything about. (My laptop was charging and I was too lazy to move it!)

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC