8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Finally picked up that GS1200...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finally picked up that GS1200...
Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2016 02:37 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a long trip to Bristol today to pick up what I was hoping was going to be a bargain: a GS1200 for £250 that has some exterior damage.
 -
Good news is: it works! She needs some TLC: top guide has worn badly
 -
there are some ticking noises when she runs that need addressing, I have to fix the nasty crack on the rear case,
and there's part of a scope lens holder that rather spoils her looks:
 -

but she works. Threaded a junky print through it and she lit up and sang [Smile] I'm now the proud owner of a GS1200.
 -

Now to save up for Mr. Parsons [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 05, 2016 03:14 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Great purchase at that price there Stuart! Get yourself a metal shoe from FFR or Wittners, then a set of the modified guides from Edwin and you have a winner!

Hopefully, you shall still have a little over for Bill to sprinkle his magic on it by the end of the spending spree, compared to buying one at full price. [Smile]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2016 06:05 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Stuart. Even if you have to invest some extra money into replacement parts, you still got a good deal. I have had a great deal of pleasure from my GS1200 for nearly 20 years and I wish you the same.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 05, 2016 07:27 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stuart, welcome to the GS1200 owners club! The GS1200 has been compared, many times, to a highly tuned sports car, breathtaking when fully functional, but a beast in need of plenty of TLC.
Yes they do have their fair share of quirks and frustrations, and there is no shortage of comments on this forum about how they should have been designed. But the bottom line is that they are fabulous machines, built like tanks, and when fitted with a 2-bladed shutter and the Elmo f1.0 lens they produce amazing quality pictures.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC