8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig take-up reel arm friction

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig take-up reel arm friction
John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2016 07:44 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Eumig 824 which runs very well. The only issue I have is the take-up reel arm slipping down from the weight of the reel. In the horizontal position it will not hold much at all and will slip down to where a 400' take-up reel rubs against the place where the film exits to the reel. In the extreme upper position it will hold fairly well just from the angle it sits. My Eumig 810D has much more friction and takes a bit of effort to move the arm either way and holds up very well in any position. Is there a way to adjust this reel armtension/friction? I took off the take-up arm cover where the gears are and could see no way to do it there. In back, the only adjustment I saw was for the take-up reel torque. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

--------------------
John Hermes

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 08, 2016 09:02 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not a take-up tension issue at all. The problem is the clamping force on the nut that holds the take up arm to the chassis - it needs tightening up.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2016 10:58 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mean the tension of the film take-up, I know that's not the problem. Where is this nut? Do all the take-up shaft gears need to be removed to get to it? Thanks for your help.

UPDATE: I went ahead and removed the stuff on the take-up shaft and got down to the nuts. They appear to be two thin 17mm ones. I need to get a 17mm deep socket to work on them in the tight space and then put everything back together.

[ May 09, 2016, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: John Hermes ]

--------------------
John Hermes

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC