8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo 700/800 Transformer Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo 700/800 Transformer Question
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 20, 2016 08:00 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone- Does anyone who has either of these machine know if the transformer has taps for multi voltage the way that the Elmo's do? With the Elmo's some of their machines look to be only one voltage but taking off the back cover shows up to 2 or more different taps. I'm curious to see if the Japanese model has settings for 110 and 120 in addition to 100V.

|  IP: Logged

Thijs de Kort
Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2016 08:41 AM      Profile for Thijs de Kort   Email Thijs de Kort   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the van-eck website it does
http://www.van-eck.net/itable.php?lang=en&size=0&cat=film&merk=148&type=Sound%20700
you can set the voltage to 100-110-117-125-160-220-240 V AC, 50/60 Hz, 200 W
Thijs.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 20, 2016 10:09 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just asked a seller in Japan if the machine he had was multi Voltage and he replied:
"SANKYO is not multi voltage.
it is 100V."
Im hoping someone can take a look "under the hood" so to speak to check the transformer to see if it has different taps to alter the voltage. I have seen a multi voltage S800 but it was stated as such.
But does an unstated Sankyo have the ability to be multi voltage?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 20, 2016 10:29 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Alan,

The obstacle you run into is the Japanese spec machine may (or may not) only have the 100V tapped transformer and a US machine the multi-voltage one.

The most certain difference between all of these machines is the safety agency (UL, CSA, VDE...etc.) on the sticker and the plug on the far end of the line cord.

You can't be completely sure until the seller pops off the back of the machine you're interested in.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 20, 2016 10:33 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see a manufacturer going through the trouble of making a 100v Japan only model if they also make a US model. But who knows? Anything is/was possible regarding this crazy hobby of ours. (Sounds like a Mafia term!)

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 20, 2016 10:37 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very often the difference only exists because the safety agency certs only apply at the local voltage and the manufacturer didn't want to pay to have all the certs on every unit they sell. The capability may be there, they just aren't allowed to say so.

You see much less of this these days, more of the hardware we use is rated worldwide.

-how valuable would a laptop that you could only plug in in the US, Canada or Mexico be in today's world?

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 20, 2016 10:40 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah didn't know that. Very interesting and cool information. Thanks!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 20, 2016 10:48 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm betting Steve has it spot on here Alan. The Sankyo 800 models I've looked at here have all got globally rated transformers fitted to them, but often when I see machines being sold from Japan, they seem to all be 100v only versions.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 20, 2016 10:48 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You run into bizarre stuff with this.

An old employer of mine actually removed UL approval from a product line.

Was the thing suddenly dangerous?

-No, but the sales volume didn't cover the cost of the cert anymore and the customers who were buying them were certifying at their system level and didn't care that much.

It would still pass UL testing inside their box, what did they care?

If I had to bet my house, I'd guess all the machines had the same transformer. It all depends on how the costs worked out to buy more of a complex transformer or buy two simple ones in lower quantities.

-proof is still in the pudding...

--------------------

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2016 12:44 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan - My Sankyo 700 appears to have the voltage adaptor inside when you take off the cover, if that helps.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 20, 2016 01:19 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the replies. Fingers crossed...

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 20, 2016 03:35 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a non-working Sankyo 800...I plan on replacing the transformer one of these days. As you can see from the pics...the voltage is variable.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 20, 2016 03:47 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a "100V" position on that selector, then it's a pretty safe bet this is a worldwide design and Alan will do just fine.

It's always been kind of a surprise to me that manufacturers left themselves open to that kind of mayhem by putting in a switch like this, but I guess that's what "No user serviceable parts inside" is there for!

"Let's see what happens when I turn it to THIS one!"

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 20, 2016 05:03 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly not safe to use in the UK among other places Steve!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC