8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Rome filmed in Super 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rome filmed in Super 8
Pierre Beuzat
Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2016 08:27 AM      Profile for Pierre Beuzat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Super 8 friends [Smile]

I wanted to share with you the 2nd film of the Super8ThisPlanet project, set in the wonderful city of Rome, trying to capture the essence of this city... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZotIG7VGRtQ
Please let me know you're feedback. Because I still don't really know (as a novice) if 500T is too much for such a sunny atmosphere : what do you think ? I also hope this film won't seem like being shot by a French tourist [Smile]

Long life to Super 8,
Pierre

Rome in Super 8

|  IP: Logged

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2016 08:47 AM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
J'aime ça

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2016 09:36 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great job Pierre!

I've been wanting to do more super 8 filming this summer.

What camera/film did you use?

James

Doug Thompson
Junior

- posted May 22, 2016 02:33 PM      Profile for Doug Thompson   Email Doug Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pierre,

You ask about using 500T in sunny situations. One should use an 85 color correction filter which will knock down the exposure index to 320. Adding a one stop neutral density filter gets it down to a manageable EI160.

That said, this is negative film which has wide exposure latitude. If the negative is thick (dark from over exposure,) more light or longer exposure time when printed will correct this.

In the late '70s, the fastest color print film was EI100 or maybe it was EI125. Then, Kodak came out with a rather grainy EI400 color print film. On a few occasions, I accidentlly exposed it at the lower EI. The printer at the lab corrected the 2 stop over exposure. The grain was significantly reduced, and the color was very saturated - not all that realistic looking, but beautiful in an artistic way. But as they say in the commercials, your results may vary!

Doug

Pierre Beuzat
Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2016 12:54 PM      Profile for Pierre Beuzat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot for your answers !

James, I filmed with my Canon 518SV camera, using a Vision 3 (500T) cartridge [Smile]

Thanks you for all these precious détails Doug ! But I'm curious to see the kind of artistic result can create these very saturated colors... Do you have any footage or example that I could look at ?

Doug Thompson
Junior

- posted May 24, 2016 08:49 PM      Profile for Doug Thompson   Email Doug Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was 35mm still picture film, not motion picture film. When over exposed, the color was kind a of water color effect. I don't know if it was a result of the film or because that was the best that the printer could do. Print exposure and color correction was automatic.

I remember a Kodak still picture film called "Ektapress" which could be exposed anywhere between 100 and 800 ON THE SAME ROLL!. And, if requested, pushed to 1600. I remember the color was consistant at all speeds although it got progressively grainy the EI increased.

I would expect the same out of 500T.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 25, 2016 01:24 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pierre, I love your project and your films. If I may give a technical comment, (SEE ENGLISH TRANSLATION BELOW) j'ai remarqué que tu filmais parfois avec le zoom en position longue focale. Le résultat avec une caméra super 8 est une image avec un "bouger" plus ou moins important (dès qu'on dépasse la focale 30). Quand ce n'est pas un effet volontairement recherché, on peut diminuer cette sensation soit en approchant la caméra plutôt que d'utiliser le zoom en position maximale, soit en utilisant un pied (mais je sais que ce n'est pas pratique), soit, pour les scènes sans personnages ou véhicules, en filmant à 24 images secondes au lieu de 18 ; en projection, les "chocs" sont légèrement amortis. I noticed that you use sometimes the zoom on the T position. The result with a super 8 camera is (when you use a position above 30) a "shaked" picture. If it is not an intentional effect, this can be soften by approaching the camera instead of using the zoom too much, by using a tripod (I know it is not practical) or (for scènes without moving carachters or vehicles) shooting at 24fps instead of 18 ; when projecting, this should in some extend soften the chocs.

--------------------
Dominique

Pierre Beuzat
Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2016 04:03 AM      Profile for Pierre Beuzat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your always constructive feedbacks Dominique ! I didn't know that filming in 24 frames/sec could change the stabilisation [Smile]

I sometimes guessed some parts of this footage weren't going to be stable at all, but it was during some rapid moments that I didn't want to miss in the film (for example the old Italian sawing his piece of wood).

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 27, 2016 09:50 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be precise, the shake will still be there but less noticeable as a film shooted at 24 fps will look slower when projected at 18 fps. Again, this "trick" will work only for scènes without moving carachters or vehicles. As you are using 500 asa film, that may not be of some interest for you now to know that but if one day you use reversal film and find yoursefl in a dark place, you may need more light on your film. Then, shoot at 12 or at a slower speed (9 or 8 are available on some cameras) ; the shutter will remain open longer and more light will reach the stock. Of course, this will also change the speed of movements, so it should be used only for momuments (the indoor of a Church for example) and the camera should be placed on a tripod as the "shaking effect" would be multiplied when projected at 18 fps. Don't expect miracles from these tips but they can improve things.

--------------------
Dominique

Pierre Beuzat
Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2016 03:21 PM      Profile for Pierre Beuzat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you one more time Dominique, I'll try to use that on the next Super8ThisPanet film [Smile]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 29, 2016 04:02 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What will your next city be ?

--------------------
Dominique

Pierre Beuzat
Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2016 01:00 AM      Profile for Pierre Beuzat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll shoot the 3rd episode in Paris and the 4th in Vienna this summer, before moving to the cities of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales at the end of the year

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 31, 2016 07:14 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds nice. I love Paris and I'm Lucky to be able from Brussels to go there quite easily so I'm sure I will appréciate your film of this wonderful city. Although, I have never been (and it's a regret as it seems to be a beautiful place) to Vienna, I'm sure I will appreciate your film of Austria's capital, as well. I know only Edinburg and Glasgow from your later destinations list. No doubt that you will enjoy both the visits and the shootings.

--------------------
Dominique

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2016 08:55 AM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll have to add New York to your list, then do San Francisco on our west coast.

Pierre Beuzat
Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2016 03:22 AM      Profile for Pierre Beuzat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So many cities which could be great filmed in Super 8... [Smile]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 02, 2016 08:46 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pierre, you're Lucky to live in the city of the Lumière brothers.

--------------------
Dominique

Pierre Beuzat
Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2016 12:30 AM      Profile for Pierre Beuzat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed Dominique [Smile] Even if it isn't a capital, I still hesitate to shoot it in Super 8...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC