8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » ebay Buyers Beware

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ebay Buyers Beware
Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 08:22 AM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I recently posted a review of Scars Of Dracula, and the problem it has, that was caused by a lab error, and makes the film difficult to watch. I wrote dondondonnie a seller in England about the problem, and if I could get a refund.

He replied that he couldn't because he had listed it as no returns. I think that is quite common place these days to do so, and I could understand if the film had normal projector ware, which can be more expected with a old film. But with a film that was printed faulty, and should have been returned long ago to Derann for a replacement in the first place, I think he should have been more willing to help. All he could say is that he sympathized with situation, which is very easy to say, when he has my $120 dollars, and I'm stuck with a faulty print.

I didn't want to give him negative feedback, for fear that he would damage my 100 percent feedback on ebay, so I'm now stuck in a rock in a hard place, and he is all the richer.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 22, 2016 08:39 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The lab defective prints, sometimes quite common due to the relatively high volume of Derann prints printed in their hey days, were sold originally as "white box" specials.

They were generally offered for a maximum price of around half of what an A1 perfect reel of film of the same title would be sold for.(often much less in extreme cases of a particular fault).

These brand new odd reels of film very often featured on their 2nd hand lists to facilitate fast sales of these kind of prints.

People happily accepted these prints including their many different types of flaws rather than do without a print altogether. They always seemed to sell well back then and even more so for prints with a lesser flaw than lab marks or extreme negative marks.

Prints that had slight colour grading issues used to sell really quickly as I recall.

If this print is described with all of its faults fully highlighted, well that's fair enough to sell on to a new owner at a cut down price in my book.

However, if the faults are far more severe than described, are not mentioned in the sale at all, or the price isn't in keeping with the quality of the print, then of course, this type of explanation given out here, becomes unacceptable.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 08:51 AM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew,

He listed it as not being able to view, because he didn't have a projector to test, but the film looked good to him on just a hands on inspection. Even if he would offer some of my money back, that would have been something, but he seemed unwilling to do anything to make me at all happier with my purchase.

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 09:03 AM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There always the filing of an eBay Guarantee. You could ask them to step in and mediate. Maybe give the seller a message stating that you are not satisfied, and maybe you two could come to an agreement before starting that process.

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 12:00 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sympathise, but we are all, effectively, taking a gamble when we purchase a 30+ year old print like this.

Think of it if you were a seller, selling something you weren't able to test. You offered it at a price, you stated that it was untested and there was to be no returns. Someone takes you up on the offer price knowing all of this. How would you feel if they then said there was a problem with it and raised it with eBay? Caveat Emptor.

I have bought prints that are untested and turn out to be faded or have green scratches but that's the nature of our hobby, 30 years after the prints were made. I have also been very lucky and got unfaded full features for £10 each too. As I said before, it's a gamble and it's all the nicer when you get (occasionally) that mint print, or when you visit Classic Home Cinema and Phil's just got in the Derann 600ft cut down of THE FOG that you've been looking for and you get it before he's had chance to put it on his lists - as happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 22, 2016 12:28 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Good points there John, and a great find there with "The Fog"!

I personally will not purchase anything of any real value unless there are some assurances on e bay prior to committing.

But for those that do, under these advertised conditions, as you quite rightly point here John, I don't suppose anyone has any guarantees whatsoever as a buyer, or much in the way of any comeback sadly.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 12:39 PM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bradford
With regards to negative feedback dont think sellers can now
Leave negative feedback, eBay change the rules a few years
Back maybe somebody else can confirm this

--------------------
t.smith

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 01:36 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that is correct Thomas. Bradford, if the item was not as described or you were misled, file a claim with Ebay.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 03:00 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the lab error the grading one where all night scenes look like daylight, (there are a few out there - and one on my shelf) or is it worse?

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 03:10 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas is correct. Sellers cannot leave negative feedback but buyers can. Open a case with eBay and if you don't get satisfaction threaten to leave negative feedback and if you still get response then do it.

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 05:10 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took a look at the eBay listing for this. The seller's description was "Selling as untested as I don't currently have a working projector to view it on." which doesn't look promising for you, Bradford. However, by writing "I don't currently have a working projector to view it on", he implies that he used to have one. It could be argued that this gave you the impression that the film was one he had had for some time and had watched when he did have a working projector. I doubt that you'll get your money back if you take it further, but you might be able to negotiate a partial refund.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 23, 2016 12:02 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It could be argued that this gave you the impression that the film was one he had had for some time and had watched when he did have a working projector.
Only if this is truthfully the case. Personally speaking, if this had been my impression, I would have asked the seller to verify this.

If that is not the case, I think if Bradford bought the film as listed, he took a chance and unfortunately, shouldn't expect a refund.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC