8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Differences between 200' & 400' edits

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Differences between 200' & 400' edits
Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2016 06:42 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Until recently,I usually avoided buying a 200'cut-down when a 400'was available of the same film, as I assumed the 400'would contain both longer scenes and additional footage not seen in the 200'.
After reading other threads on this forum, it is becoming apparent that this is not the case.I recently DID buy both the 200' and 400' versions of The Muppet Movie to find they are completely different, with the 200' being able to be slotted into the 400'at the correct point to create an excellent 600 footer with the storyline still flowing properly.

Does someone have a list of the films available where the 200' is a completely different edit/different scenes to the 400'version?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 25, 2016 06:53 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really doubt that any such list exists. But I have done the same thing with 200' and 400' reels. It makes a great digest. What I do find interesting is that in some cases the scene that is on the 200' reel get's a title related to the scene on the film with a tag that says from (movie title). Interesting hobby for sure.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2016 10:05 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mary Poppins The Super Nanny - Silent version 200'

Mary Poppins The Super Nanny - Sound version 200'

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

George Seaton
Junior

- posted May 26, 2016 08:10 AM      Profile for George Seaton   Email George Seaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Melvin

Walton Films 200' editions of movies were often used completely different material than the 400' version. 'Vampire Circus' is another example and I think the idea was the two could be edited together to produce a longer digest. Universal 8 200' classic horror titles also sometimes used sequences not included in their 400' counterparts, 'Bride Of Frankenstein' and 'The Mummy's Ghost' spring to mind but were these meant to stand as separate entities.

--------------------
George

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 27, 2016 11:43 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen it but I believe the Ken 200' release 'Patton' is entirely a speech not in the '400.

Does anyone know if the Walton 200' of 'Curse of the Crimson Altar' features any footage not in the 2 x 400'?

Incidentally, the 200' from 'Vampire Circus' (which is a slightly edited version of the film's very long pre-credits sequence) even has a couple of shots not in the 4 x 400'!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 27, 2016 12:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micheal ....

On that "Super Nanny" difference, did you notice that the silent version had a slight letterboxing to the image as well?

I noticed that. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2016 02:50 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not quite on topic, Melvin, but along a similar idea, the 3x400ft version of "Superman The Movie" is notorious for missing scenes that were in the shorter 400ft version - including the ending with Superman delivering Lex Luther to prison.

A search on the forum will lead to lots of details on this from our many knowledgeable members.

Also, just to follow on from Michael's "The Super Nanny", Disney's 200ft colour / silent version of "The Aristocats" is a really lovely condensation of the whole movie (with subtitles), whilst the 200ft colour / sound version is basically the "Everybody wants to be a Cat" number - totally different.

EDIT: Let's not forget the 200ft version of "Star Wars", which contains extra scenes than both the 400ft versions...again, have a search on the forum. [Wink]

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2016 04:31 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob - I noticed that. I have both versions of Superman. This is just something that has never occurred to me until recently that the shorter films can often contain different scenes altogether.
Another example similar to Superman, is Summer Holiday starring Cliff Richard. The 4x 400' version only includes the first few bars of the song, in that famous scene where Cliff is at the wheel of the bus. The 400' at least manages to contain a bit of the vocal too.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2016 07:11 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like out of the Universal horror titles, the biggest difference might be the 200' and 400' versions of FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN. Pretty big difference with SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, too.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2016 02:10 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might be worth mentioning the difference between 400ft Ken and Piccolo versions of the same title.

Best example is "The Omen II". The Ken version is ok, but the Piccolo version is totally different, with a much better story and more atmosphere.

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2016 06:38 AM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,
Ken Films offered a 200' (and 400') version of "Patton" along with the entire opening speech available as a separate 200' reel. The speech reel is somewhat rare these days but the 200' & 400' digests always seem to be available.

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC