8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Pro8mm now beta testing new 100D color reversal film (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Pro8mm now beta testing new 100D color reversal film
Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2016 05:11 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Raleigh: Ironically my older brother spent hour upon hour transferring my parents' home movies to VHS 15 or 20 years ago. Actually it was probably video 8 or Hi 8 but he sent myself and my other two brothers each 1 VHS tape that represented a 3rd of the total.

To do this he had brought all the film back to his home in the tropics where it's been ever since. Probably the worst type of climate to keep them in though where he lives it doesn't often get all that hot. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if the film outlived the video copies. Anyway we're now looking at options for making better copies.

As far as the longevity of VHS tape goes, you can increase their lifetime by quite a bit if you store them in a cold environment in low humidity. They can last 60 years or more. I have old mini-DV and video 8 tapes in our spare fridge in the basement. The other nice thing about keeping them in a fridge is that they are more likely to survive a fire.

The sadder question is how long is long enough? I don't relish the thought of the videos I took of my kids some day getting auctioned off on eBay. I suspect my kids don't really care about my parents' home movies. Nobody in them is recognizable to them. Maybe one day they will care, but what about their grandkids?

The films have long outlasted the person who took them, though he did die young.

In a related note, for some reason we ended up in possession of at least a few of my wife's dad's family home movies. Her dad is in poor health and I suspect within 10 years he and his remaining siblings will be gone. In other words, anybody who would be in those movies will no longer be alive. My wife is an only child and doesn't have fond memories of her Dad's side of the family.

Who will care about these movies? I seem to care more than my wife does.

|  IP: Logged

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2016 05:19 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My father shot Super 8mm home movies up until 1988. In 1990 he bought an RCA VHS camcorder (which had been on the market for some time - by then the 1/4 inch or "Video8" format was taking over). He used that VHS once or twice and never again. And the tapes? He has no idea where they are. A VHS VCR I bought for my parents (to go along with their DVD player) in the early 2000's is on a shelf in the Garage. However, all the Super 8mm home movies, as well as the Super 8mm projector were stored in a box, easily found, and the projector still works perfectly. The films, the oldest taken around 1962 (the only movie on Regular 8, all the rest in the collection are Super 8) look great. Clear picture, no color fade, not even many scratches.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 01, 2016 05:23 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that when video started to replace film in the general public, you didn't see cameras anymore in public places, nor cine, nor video (I was often alone to shoot somewhere). People had re-sold their cine projector to buy a video player so didn't shoot film anymore (it is to remind that video material, included the tapes weren't that cheap, so people probably didn't want to spend too much on "media") and hadn't yet bought a video camera.

--------------------
Dominique

Sonny Young
Junior

- posted July 01, 2016 11:30 PM      Profile for Sonny Young     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Society has been going through a highly overrated Digital mania, that I think is slowly subsiding.
Raleigh, I've been following your comments across different threads and I'm compelled to say that you are truly out of touch with what's going on in the world of filmmaking. It's one thing to love and project physical film, as we all do here, but you really must educate yourself on the current technology before making sweeping statements like this.

I've been a filmmaker and film teacher for over 30 years in both 16mm and 35mm (which I dearly love) and was in the midst of the digital revolution as it moved from garbage video to the amazing digital formats we have today. Contemporary digital cameras are not only inexpensive, but provide mind boggling HD definition. Look up the RedOne and the ridiculously inexpensive BlackMagic. These cameras record in lossless RAW with with a staggering 13 stop exposure range (you can add all the grain you want if that makes you happy). Up to 4K horizontal lines of resolution with all kinds of frame rates. They accept film camera lenses from Arriflex and even the old Bolex and Schneider lens, which are amazing. They record sound, of course. There is no film or tape, but rather postage stamp cards that can be popped in your reader for editing, which is whole other amazing technology.

Kodak has been pulling stunts like this new super 8 camera for years, trying to convince people that analog film is better--more beautiful, pleasing to the eye, higher definition, etc. They have no choice, they are in the film business, and quite frankly, missed the digital boat when they had the chance. They come to our schools with all this hogwash, yet discontinue film stocks one after another because they don't sell. They survived bankruptcy a few years ago only because they sold off a bunch of failed ventures and intellectual property. No one is going to spend $80 for three minutes worth of soundless footage except some crazy artists and baby boomers that have fond memories of making movies back in the'70s.

I don't want to debate you on this, like that analog vs digital thread with Tom. This hobby is about nostalgia and its a bit of an isolation bubble. The current world of filmmaking and distribution is very different. There are some filmmakers on this forum and I'm sure they know what I'm talking about.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 02, 2016 03:09 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Sonny, you are spot on there on every single point!
Regarding the last paragraph you speak of, I said more or less the exact same words yesterday over on another forum except I used £50 as the amount rather than $80.

With nothing other than negative stock available, therefore then only to be used as a finished project digitally, I personally, have no interest whatsoever in the project and believe me, no one loves Super 8mm as a format any more than I do!
It would take reversal stock and a new projector for syncing the digital sound before my interest would be full on.
I doubt Kodak, even for second, have ever considered traditional users of film here with this latest project.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 02, 2016 04:21 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sonny, when I was a kid, we all believed that in the future people would use min planes instead of cars and that our meals would be made of pills. Forty years later, bicycles have invades European cities and organic food is widely available in supermarkets. When records and records players were pushed out of the shops by cds and cds players, who would have believe that vinyls would come back on a large scale ? Not me. But it happened. I'm not saying that film will have a huge "revival". I just don't know. People and markets can be unpredictable.

--------------------
Dominique

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2016 05:57 AM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sonny, the point is, I don't like digital video and think it is garbage. I know about the Red One, and I don't care. They can push it up to 124K, I don't like it, and think it is inferior to real film for many different reasons. It's still video and it's not film. It's not all about just picture quality.

No I am not out of touch. IMO digital video looks like shit. It's very harsh,cold, and plasticky looking, and it's completely soulless. The funny thing is, it's all about money. It's supposedly "cheaper" and yet it's actually nothing more than a MONEY PIT, in the long run. A never ending cycle of upgrade after upgrade, and back up after back up after back up. Yet the Bolex H16 made in 1965 retains it's value and is still just as functional today, as it was then. The same cannot be said for a digital video camera bought 10-15 years ago, they are already out of date.

Digital video has it's uses, but as I said before, I prefer my CINEMA to be FILM.

Don't make sweeping statements about what I do or do not know, as you don't know me. Who do you think you are?

Just so you know, I have a dgree in Cinema History, Theory, and Criticism from the USC School of Cinematic Arts in Los Angeles (known as the School of Cinema-Television when I was there), widely considered to be the best school for the study of cinema in the world. Do I know it all? No. Not even. But I'm not coming from a place of pure ignorance either. All my student films were REAL films, shot on film. I didn't make student videos, like most do today.

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2016 10:32 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, I ride a bike to work rather than a car. It is cheaper, healthier for me and the environment, and sometimes even quicker.

I could see film making a comeback if there was a general rebellion against all things digital. And actually I think that's a possibility unless society somehow comes to terms with declining incomes due to jobs lost to automation. The argument has been in the past the greater automation has lead to a shift in the labor market, but ultimately more new jobs being created than lost. I'm not sure that trend will continue.

Another possibility is that there is a push back against the explosion of battery operated devices and the potential environmental impacts. Super 8 cameras were mostly battery driven but they could work largely without one. The meter might still require batteries but those can last a long time.

Lastly, if you could convince a substantial number of people that the consumption of digital media has negative health impacts while analog media does not.

Vinyl has made a comeback but I don't know if that's a short or long term trend. Apparently about half the people buying LPs don't even listen to them. They buy the album to own something physical or they just like they way the looks, but they listen to the music digitally. 7% of LP buyers don't even own a turntable. The most popular album sold on LP last year was from Adele and was almost guaranteed to have been recorded digitally. Those LPs are coming from a digital source.

Anyway, buried in there might be the most compelling reason for Kodak (or anyone) to sell reversal film. Digital looks good (to most people), is easy to share and convenient to watch, but it's ephemeral. To me the ideal product would be projectable and archivable, but also shareable in a high quality format. Ultimately, I'd like to have the film, but I also want a high quality scan that I can easily view and share.

And I want it to be affordable. [Big Grin]

So there's where you should be aiming Kodak !

BBC Article on the return of vinyl

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 02, 2016 10:48 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, almost everybody has a cellphone now. But, despite all the predictions, a lot of people still keep a home line. More than that, these last years (at least in Belgium), people who had cancelled their home line took it back. You never know...About the fact that some people buy vinyls and don't listen to them, that's just like many other things. EBay is full of objects "never (or little) used".

--------------------
Dominique

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2016 11:15 AM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I mean -

There has been this period of "throw out everything," "digital is better": Books, records, motion picture film, still photography film. But now you see people saying "Hey, wait a minute, not so fast" It's happened in other areas of life too. Once upon a time the "great big beautiful tomorrow" (to quote Walt Disney's "Carousel of Progress") was cars, cars and more cars, suburbia, freeways, and the death of the traditional, crowded, dense, walking city. Look at the nightmares created by Le Corbusier. The man wanted to level Paris, or Robert Moses who wanted to ram expressways through the heart of Manhattan. There were plans to do the same to San Francisco (But today, SF has even torn down the 480 and half of the 101). Now we see people moving back into the cities, using public transportation, dense development around transportation lines and hubs. Cities are thriving again after the Mid-20th Century fiasco of suburbanization and abandonememt of inner cities.

The "New" can be seductive and intoxicating, until people realize it isn't really all that.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2016 01:29 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to agree with Sonny and Andrew on this one.

Wow, after reading this thread, it might be best to step back and take a deep breath, Raleigh -- life is too short to get worked up and make broad, sweeping statements about formats that are different just to fit your narrative. (I can tell you, this week I screened Star Wars: The Force Awakens in my home theatre for some visiting friends, and it certainly didn't look like "crap" or "shit," even with my critical, professional eye. However, while I'm a long-time film collector, I have plenty of film prints that do look and sound like "crap" or "shit" in comparison.)

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2016 01:54 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't even bother to address me Mr. Hourigan. You're the absolute worst here about getting it. This isn't a discussion about Blu-Ray discs and home theatre. You continually fail to comprehend that. I have nothing more to say to you.

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2016 04:30 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the question is whether film is like bikes vs cars, paper books vs ebooks, and city vs suburban living or is it like carburetors vs electronic fuel injection, - just a technology largely replaced by a different technology.

I don't see this as digital vs everything else. I can easily see paper books continuing to be popular while film becomes a very small niche of movie making. A paper book is sharable, portable, won't break, cheap, and doesn't to be charged or plugged in. You don't need a device at all. You can gift an e-book but it's not the same as giving someone a nice hard cover. I think that is part of the appeal of an LP too. It's something substantial.

E-books have their advantages as well so I can see them co-existing with books for quite a while.

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2016 04:39 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like everyone on here has a love for 8mm film here in some form or fashion. I'm more interested in getting back to the original post which was on the 100D color reversal film.

Retro 8 Enterprises posted the message below on Facebook

JULY SPECIAL "FREE SHIPPING" !!
You can now choose either "Free Shipping" or "Free Processing (Developing) ".
Free Shipping is available to world wide with post office airmail. (No tracking).
Shipping by courier, such as DHL with tracking number will be extra.

If you were not planning on buying the 100D reversal film from Pro8mm and if you live overseas this might be a great option depending on where you live.

The Japanese yen is slighter weaker than the dollar right now, so if you buy a roll of the 100D reversal film and use the free shipping offer, a roll would cost $66.

I've seen a few requests to Retro 8 that they unbundle the processing costs. I think they addressed that issue with this free shipping offer. The film still isn't cheap though.
If you can process your own film, and if you don"t live in the USA this might be the best deal you can get.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 02, 2016 04:47 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great new, Jason. However, it is not convenient at all to order via e-mail. They should have put an "automatic" order system on their site.

--------------------
Dominique

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2016 05:47 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, I agree with you. It would be nice if they had some type of order form or automated checkout system. Since they don"t have one though, there are many ways you can submit an order apparently. You can send them a Facebook message, contact them through skype(SKYPE name: retroenterprises), call the shop, or email them.

Retro Enterprises Home Page

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 02, 2016 06:11 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I founded that on their page : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDaTBjf_-Dc&feature=youtu.be :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2016 06:25 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, it seems like lately they have been helping out with a lot of commercials and tv shows.

Here's a video that was broadcast on TV here in Japan that shows you what their shop looks like. I had a chance to go there earlier this year.
https://vimeo.com/166792139

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 02, 2016 06:43 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice link, Jason. They have old tv sets that looks in good condition. I have no idea what they are talking about as it is all in Japanese but the place seems Worthing a visit. You have been lucky.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 30, 2016 01:49 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone out of Japan tried to order from them ? I sent an e-mail in July (to benefit from the free shipping) but never got any answer.

--------------------
Dominique

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2016 07:49 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dominique,

Perhaps they didn't see your email. I ordered some film from them in February of this year by email and got a swift response although I did correspond with them in Japanese.

If they didn't respond to your email, try contacting them through Skype(SKYPE name: retroenterprises)

I heard that they also take orders over Facebook if you send them a private message.

According to their website, they are out of stock of their new Provie 100D. http://www.retro8.com/english/englishindex.html

If all else fails, you could try calling their shop.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 31, 2016 06:17 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Jason. It seems, indeed, that their filmstock has had a success, which is a good new for the film market :-)

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC