8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » So Why 8mm ? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: So Why 8mm ?
Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2016 05:56 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew: Very true regarding the price of filming with Super 8. I did recently use Super 8 to film an annual family gathering. The intent is to pair it with old 8mm and Super 8 footage from 40 to 50 years ago.

People really enjoyed seeing the Super 8 camera and hopefully they'll enjoy the results but going forward I don't know that I'll do it again. Maybe once a year or every few years at this particular party but for two cartridges it's costing me close to $150 USD for the film, shipping, and processing. Might make more sense to invest in some nice lenses for my DLSR.

The intent of Super 8 after all was to be a format for the masses. It's now far too expensive for that.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 12, 2016 06:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
And to be fair Tom, I suppose it always would be in this day and age, with it's niche marketplace.

To me though, £50 without developing or shipping the finished article for three minutes of silent film, just isn't worth it sadly and there is no bigger advocat of K40 sound film than I used to be. I loved the stuff right up until it got phased out here around 96/97.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2016 07:12 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pan:
I agree there are many, many dual 8 projectors, super 8 sound, super 8 silent and standard 8 silent projectors. However, there are comparatively very few standard 8 sound projectors.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 13, 2016 07:25 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dual Gauge models probably offers the best solution nowadays for Standard 8mm sound films Barry.

Something like this, which proved rather popular here in the UK recently, judging by the number of bids! (16 bids is rare right now here for any projector!) Brexit!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172265498393?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageNam e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2016 12:49 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Andrew. That was a good buy for whoever won that Eumig.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC