8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Police Academy 2 x 600'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Police Academy 2 x 600'
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 21, 2016 07:48 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since there was a selling for this very title on the sale section, I knew now this title is avalable on super 8mm.

Are both sequel on super 8mm?

How many other film were still printed by Derann on 2 x 600 (or 1200') version other than this and Sound of Music ?

What is the fair price for Police Academy nowadays? I knew a full feature of Disney will be ranging from $175 to $450 depending on the title, but I have no idea for digest 2 x 600'. Give me the light please.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 22, 2016 04:41 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd be doing very well indeed Winbert to buy any Derann Disney full feature in good order for $175 now,I'd say.
Maybe on the second hand market while Derann were still trading, but not nowadays in my experience.

As for what 2x600ft releases go for now...
On e bay UK, a good print of Never Say Never Again went for around £130 in good but not perfect condition when I last saw one.

[ July 22, 2016, 05:42 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 22, 2016 06:37 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were a number of 2 x 600 footers Winbert, the ones we have are
633 Squadron in scope
Gremlins
Police Academy 2. (no other Police academy films were released).
I'm sure there are others as well as the ones Andrew mentioned but i cant think which ones at present.
I can recommend all three of these, all well edited to.
[Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 22, 2016 08:28 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Superman 2 was another I can instantly think of Tom & Winbert.

Can be made even longer with the separately released 200ft Diner Sequence.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 22, 2016 12:50 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimy we got Superman 2 as well, forgot that one, thats another very good cutdown in scope and the previous owner has spliced in the full title sequence and diner scene as well. [Wink]

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2016 04:27 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Derann also released The Colditz story as a 2x600.

You could also think of their 3x400 releases like The Wild Geese as a 2x600, same length.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 22, 2016 04:43 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The 3x 400ft releases tended to belong to an earlier period in Derann's history though.

Many would not have been produced to the same standards as the later prints and many will be on SP stock.

The 2 x 600ft releases tend to coincide with the very beginnings of the Derann renaissance period of 85 till around approx 98.

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2016 04:55 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Youre probably right there Andrew although TWG and Viva las Vegas could still be ordered on low fade. Yes the 2x600 was later releases.

I always thought it was a shame titles like Neverending story did not get a 2x600 release. Would have been far better.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 22, 2016 04:59 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I've got the 600ft release Graham and it's actually not too bad for a one reel digest. It seems to last a good 30 minutes and does follow the story to an extent, rather well.

Of course it would have been better as a 2x600ft release, but it was the punters themselves that decided they'd prefer this one as a 1x 600ft release.

they were given the choice apparently by Derek at an open day and this is what they chose..more fool them! [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2016 05:12 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that info Andrew, I didn't know it was down to the Collectors. I also have the 600ft of NES and its good but some characters are hardly shown and some good action scenes cut out due to time. I would have also preferred less of the final scene but that was kept to give a sense of the story. Its still a very good edit but could have been better as a 2x600. (but we could say that for most films).

Graham S

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 22, 2016 05:21 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly could Graham and if it had been my decision to make, they would have all been made full length. [Wink]

(well maybe not PA2! ha ha)

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2016 05:36 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes thank goodness they didn't bother to release any more Police Academy films [Big Grin] or The Brady Bunch movie full-length.

Graham S

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 22, 2016 05:46 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2016 03:04 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure Derek once said (or wrote0 that they could now get the rights to new films that had done well in cinemas, but often they weren't the ones that film collectors would buy, many preferring the classics.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 23, 2016 01:56 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert - in fact the abridged Sound of Music was 3 x 600' rather than 2 x 600'.

I recall someone telling me that Derek later said he wished he had released The Never Ending Story full length, feeling the demand had been underestimated. And it must have been released fairly soon after films like Capricorn One were released both full length and as 600' versions. I don't get the impression that there are many prints of (e.g.) Flash Gordon in circulation, so maybe it would have outsold some 1980s fantasy film releases.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2016 07:50 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always felt that movies like "Highlander" and "Flash Gordon" (1980) would have sold better as digests,and like-wise movies such as "Superman II" and "Neverending Story" would have been more popular feature releases.

But, not complaining, its just an interesting thought. Derann did a wonderful job in releasing great super 8 products and you never really know what would sell until its released [Wink] .

James

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 24, 2016 04:20 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im still sad that Derann had the rights to release the feature of Home Alone but decided not to as he thought being a seasonal film it would not have been a good seller. I think that was a huge mistake, (although we will never know now). [Wink]
And im still looking for the trailer which did sell in abundance.
Anyone? [Big Grin] [Wink]

Andreas Chmielewski
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2016 06:07 AM      Profile for Andreas Chmielewski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Germany gives a full lengh from the First part Police Academy, but it gives only four pieces, it is very rare and the Price is high!!

And it gives a lot of Trailers

All on Super 8 and with german sound

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 08, 2016 06:09 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That is a rare one Andreas!
Any Screenshots?

--------------------

Andreas Chmielewski
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2016 06:06 AM      Profile for Andreas Chmielewski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes is very rare, ok, i can make Screenshots in the next Time [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 09, 2016 06:15 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Andreas. [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC