8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bolex 18-5 logo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bolex 18-5 logo
Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2016 09:01 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a nice extra 18-5 but it was missing the logo on the front cover. Just for giggles and $hits, I thought I would try and photograph the one I had and try and create a decent replica on photograph paper. Although up close and in person, a knowledgeable person would discover the difference, if you are missing the logo, this is better than having nothing. Below are two pics of the cover with different lighting and and example of the photo I created. The logos are on a 4x6 template, and I just sent it to Walgreens to have it printed on glossy paper. Cost me 29 cents. I taped the photo to a piece of cardboard and used an exacto knife to cut out the logo. It is important to not manipulate the pic and to have it printed as a 4x6, so the logo will be the correct size. The pix below are a bit soft focused. actual logo pic is sharper. I will email the digital photo to anyone that wants one. PM me your email address and I will send it.
 -
 -
 -

[ July 22, 2016, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Barry Fritz ]

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 22, 2016 10:41 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks brilliant Barry,

Just recently I fixed up one of those projectors. I was lucky the missing label was still it the box. I re-stuck back on with high strength Araldite [Smile]

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2017 06:20 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Barry!

Can i get this digitized label from you emailed to me please. I bought a bolex super 18-5 that just came in today but it is missing this exact label.

Also, Does anyone know how one can match the gray paint on the bolex? I have some small spots that need a touch up or two, but overall it is in great shape and runs well.
Thanx,
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 24, 2017 11:18 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Matthew...I've been experimenting on making labels for the Bolex 18-5 series of projector. Mine are more like the original label printed on metal.

Check out this thread:
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=010662

I don't have the artwork for the model you have...but I'll see if I can get it from Barry and post a finished label.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2017 12:58 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!!!That would be fantastic Janice.
Thanx so much!!!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 02, 2017 06:37 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is one of my prototype labels. This front label for the Std. 8mm projector is very difficult to produce. Because I have to cut it by hand it's not perfect...but on the projector is looks pretty good. I have to find a more consistent way to cut the outer circle. There's very little tolerance. One slip of the cutting blade and it's start over.

-

--------------------
Janice

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2017 08:23 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These labels are a really great idea!
Janice has kindly sent me some labels to try and for my particular machine, it uses the rectangular shaped label, as per the 18-5L. Regardless, they are all great and thanx very much to you both for your help Barry and Janice!

I am not the worlds best gluer, but I did my best [Smile] I am sure others can get theirs cleaner.

Using PL adhesive to super stick the label. Apply VERY lightly or it can squish out the edges a bit [Smile] You can buy this stuff anywhere(canadiantire, home depot, lowes,etc...)
 -

Using neodynmium magnets to super hold the label while drying:
 -

Attached label!
 -

Ps: there seems to be a bit of white on the edges pictured here, but i think it is a glare.
People can order these nice labels from Janice Glesser if you want them on metal, or simply print and stick depending what you want to do!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2017 08:12 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good Matt! The magnets were a great idea.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 17, 2017 12:17 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So glad you are happy with the label Matt. I'm thinking the preferred type of glue would dry flat and be applied to both the label and the cover surfaces. You would let it dry for a bit and then carefully press the label onto the cover. To avoid scratching you could place something over the label (maybe some heavy card stock cut to size or just paper) and to hold the label down in place use some tape. The metal is very thin and doesn't take much pressure to get it to lie flat.

I have found this glue seems to work well. You can spread it with a toothpick or a cheap throw-away art brush you get from the dollar store.
 -

[ October 17, 2017, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC