8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Projecting unslit/unsplit regular/standard 8mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projecting unslit/unsplit regular/standard 8mm
Sandy McLennan
Junior

- posted August 08, 2016 11:31 PM      Profile for Sandy McLennan   Email Sandy McLennan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have regular/standard 8mm film that is processed but not split/slit. I wish to project in a 16mm projector. I want it to show 4 frames at a time. Since the sprocket holes do not line up when I place the film on top of 16mm single-perf film, what are the criteria (or makes/models) of 16mm projector that can play this film? thanks

--------------------
Sandy McLennan

|  IP: Logged

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2016 01:43 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sandy
Sounds as though you need a 16mm silent projector that has double toothed sprockets as opposed to a 16mm sound projector which will have only single toothed. It shouldn't be difficult to find an old 16mm silent projector on eBay. There are many makes but two that come to mind are Bell & Howell and Bolex Paillard. I'm sure other members will suggest others and may even have one to offer you.

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2016 02:46 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
any 16mm projector should do this,even a single perf. one,it just wont use the alternate perforations on the unsplit stock.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2016 02:50 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes some standard 8 film sold was re-perforated from 16mm (I would think all available now is) so of course it would fit. The only reason the perforations wouldn't match would be if one of the films was badly shrunken.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 09, 2016 06:05 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sandy
As you have been advised, any sound or silent 16mm projector can be used.
Your standard 8 film was probably shot at 16fps, so in order to project at this speed you will need a silent 16mm projector, most of which have a variable speed control.
Most 16mm sound projectors run at 18fps when in their silent speed setting. However. an Ampro Stylist sound projector has a variable speed control.

--------------------
Maurice

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2016 01:04 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes of course, my mistake, 16mm sound or silent, the sprocket teeth will be the same spacing/ format so if you already have a 16mm projector you should be able to play the film. Brian is quite right. If the sprocket holes on the film do not line up on the sprockets of your projector then it is likely the film has somewhat dried out and shrunk over the years. Sandy what projector do you have?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC