8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » "Curing" scratch issues ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Curing" scratch issues ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 15, 2016 11:18 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey folks ...

I have a question I don't think i have ever asked on here or elsewhere before, (and with how much I yack on and on, that's saying a lot!)

Someone mentioned using film cleaning fluid to help alleviate the nusciance of scratches. Now, i know that once a scratch is laid, it's permanent, obviously ...

... but which film cleaning fluid would be the best fluid to use to "fill in" those scratches as much as possible. I'm sure that the more "lubricating' the film fluid is, the better in this regard.

I have used "ECCO" for quite a few years, but it doesn't do much in this regard, mostly alcohol based and all ...

... but which fluid, in you're learned opinions, is the best for treating scratch issues ...

The floor is open ... [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 15, 2016 11:24 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't a cleaning fluid for film that will cover emulsion scratches Osi. In fact the better the cleaner, the greener the scratch!😆

The best you can achieve is to make base scratches APPEAR invisible but only on a projector.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 15, 2016 12:10 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, i must not have made myself clear, I'm not talking about the green scratches ... NOTHING can be done for the dreaded greeno!! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2016 12:23 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used Filmguard and that always makes black scratches a lot less apparent, sometimes invisible. I've been very impressed by that.

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2016 12:38 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the "olden days", I used a Piclear system with my big RCA TP-66 telecine projectors. That liquid was mostly made up of perchlorethylene. It worked very well for wet gating film but it would eat up many types of plastic and is pretty toxic (induces headaches in non-well ventilated areas!!) The RCA projectors are all metal. It dried quickly as well. The original Vitafilm worked pretty well too. I agree that, these days, Filmguard is about the best thing. I use it for my transfers now. With 16mm, I give about five squirts into a Webril Wipe and then treat about 400 feet on my rewinds. I then flip the pad, squirt more Filmgaurd, etc. When done, I run the film back and forth once more with a clean pad to even out the application. The film stays "wet" for quite some time with Filmguard.

[ August 17, 2016, 01:59 AM: Message edited by: John Hermes ]

--------------------
John Hermes

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC