8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Projecting the scope super 8mm image ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projecting the scope super 8mm image ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 23, 2016 01:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another topic that has probably been hit from every angle, but I personally have never asked this question ...

Is there really any difference between using a, lets say, 35MM anamorphic lense for projection, and a scope lense made especially for super 8 projectors? Is it just a matter of size and convenience, with no difference in the image projected?

opinions?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2016 01:23 PM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The squeeze factor will be the same on a scope lens for any gauge, but I'm guessing 35mm one will have thicker optics and give you a dimmer image, robbing you of the light wattage that your machine offers. A 35mm machine has plenty of light and more is fed in to its operation for a scope film. Even a super 8 designed lens reduces the overall brightness from my experience.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2016 02:38 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition I'd like to say that with a scope attachment meant for 35 mm, chances are you might not have a proper focusing value on its distance ring : Super 8 rarely is used to project at a distance bigger than - say - 3 or 4 meters, whereas such a distance is shorter than that between the projection booth and the rear row in a cinema.

--------------------
Maurizio

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2016 02:39 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition I'd like to say that with a scope attachment meant for 35 mm, chances are you might not have a proper focusing value on its distance ring : Super 8 rarely is used to project at a distance bigger than - say - 3 or 4 meters, whereas such a distance is shorter than that between the projection booth and the rear row in a cinema. In fact such short distances are usually non-existant on professional 35 mm scope lenses.

--------------------
Maurizio

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2016 03:17 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of years ago I made a comparison between 35mm scope lenses (Galileo, Isco Ultra Star Red, Schneider Cinelux) and Sankor ones (16-D) and I found out that the dimmest picture was made by Sankor.
I made this comparison projecting both with 35mm projector and with Super8. Now I use only 35mm anamorphic for all the projectors, the image quality is astonishing.
Furthermore, the Isco focuses from 1.5 mt and the Schneider from 3mt, but they are exceptions to the normal focusing distance.

I was explained that 35mm anamorphic have inside better and brighter lenses than the 16mm ones, so this is why they look brighter.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2016 03:15 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fabrizio you are correct there as the 35mm anamorphics have
much better quality lens elements than the 16mm or 8mm ones.
[Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 24, 2016 11:17 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the feedback thus far. i have just found an attachment that i have no idea where i found it, in the past, but it will allow me to build a new lense holder for my 35MM scope lense, which is great.

I hadn't thought about the loss of light with a larger lense. So, the lenses actually made for a super 8 (KOWA and otherwise) allow for more light to be projected thru?

I should have elaborated yesterday, I was wondering if the different size of lense would make a difference in the projected image.

--------------------

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2016 12:32 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, as far as my experience with the lenses I have, 35mm anamorphic are brighter than super8.

The difference in the projected image is not on picture size but in quality. 35mm ones allow also better focusing throughout the frame frame.

If you come accross one of the combined ISCO lenses (first picture below), you may disassembly them (picture 2) and take only the scope adapter (picture 3). The barrel marked with the red sign has the same diameter of the normal super8 anamorphic lenses (52mm if I remember right), and may be used without building special adapters.

-
 -
 -

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 24, 2016 12:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Lense that I currently use is a German Mollier "anamorphat" lense, and it's 35MM.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC